UFC rules.

White_Savage

Mentor
Decided to look these up. Most of these are pretty reasonable and ban tactics that are fairly marginal anyway, but a few of them come dangerously close to giving ammunition to the pajama-wearing "I can defeat you with my Chi-powered-big-toe-of-death" types.

"1. Butting with the head.

2. Eye gouging of any kind.

3. Biting.

4. Hair pulling.

5. Fish hooking.

6. Groin attacks of any kind.

7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.

8. Small joint manipulation.

9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.

10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.

12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.

13. Grabbing the clavicle.

14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.

15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.

16. Stomping a grounded opponent.

17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.

18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.

19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.

20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.

21. Spitting at an opponent.

22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.

23. Holding the ropes or the fence.

24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.

25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.

26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.

27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.

28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.

29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.

30. Interference by the corner.

31. Throwing in the towel during"

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Eye gouging, fish hooking, throat shots, and groin strikes, I'll agree.

Small joint manipulation, I agree. No reason to break a guys finger in this type of altercation, either.

But head butts, knees, kicks, grounded or not, should still be allowed.

And no kidney shots from the guard? That rule alone removes half of Royce's arsenal from the guard.
smiley36.gif

This is the one that is really scary though, and should be banned from all fighting competitions:

7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.

Let's save digital exploration of body orifices for over-40 physicals and prostate exams.
smiley36.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
Well, I've seen more than one fight where there was ludicrous advantage being taken of the fact you can't kick a downed opponent. I mean when one fighter has managed to stand up from the ground-fight, and the other guy is basically still on the ground on his knees, with his hands down, knowing the other guy can't go for anything logical like a roundhouse to the head, that's diluting the spirit of the thing too much, IMHO.

Then again, most of these rules were added to get the sport sanctioned against the emotional reactionaries in gubment, so we may just have to live with it.

"7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent."

Yeah, they even had to make a specific rule against this? That is scary
smiley5.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
BTW, when they were showing PRIDE on FSN, they edited out all footage of kicks and knees to downed oppnents. *Sigh*, not only are they meddling in what kind of sport grown men can play, but what we can WATCH.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Then again, most of these rules were added to get the sport sanctioned against the emotional reactionaries in gubment, so we may just have to live with it.

Actually, thats it in a nutshell. If they hadn't 'civilized' MMA we wouldn't even be writing about the rules or what techniques are banned. There wouldn't BE any mixed martial arts competitins, at least on television anyway.