UFC 68 Results thread

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Babalu v Lambert

Rd. 1 - Babalu had ground control most of the round. He maneuvered around Lambert from guard to back, tried a few choke attempts but never got anything substantial. Lambert gets to his feet, and they start throwing blows. Babalu is trying to clinch Muay Thai style and Lambert puts him down with a left hook. Babalu flops to guard, Lambert jumps on him and lands a few blows before the bell.

Rd. 2 - Lambert's round all the way. The two exchange a few blows, Lambert takes Babalu down and grounds n' pounds on him for a couple of minutes before Big John stands them up again. The fighters attack each other, Babalu throwing a knee when Lambert hits him hard with another left hook. Babalu crumples, Lambert jumps on him and lands two more blows to the head before Big John stops the fight. Babalu looked to be o-u-t, and it took them a couple of minutes to get him up and onto a stool.

LAMBERT 2ND RND TKOEdited by: White Shogun

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know either one of those guys, but thanks for posting the info Shogun. I am trying to get into UFC and similar things, but it is taking me a while to learn the names. When you can't watch much of it, its kind of difficult.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Reb,
You're more than welcome. In the aforementioned fight, Babalu is a tattooed, thug-style persona from Brazil. Lambert is a white man from the USA.
smiley4.gif

Hughes v Lytle

Rd. 1 - Almost immediately, Hughes took Lytle to the ground and laid on him for almost the entire round. Lytle had a weak guillotine that he worked for awhile but it was mostly Hughes game. With about 1:30 left, Hughes was setting Lytle up for the crucifix or an armbar. It looked bad, and then suddenly Lytle threw his legs up and put Hughes' head in a scissor lock. Hughes rolled it over and went for an armbar before time was up.

Rd. 2 - Hughes took Lytle down again almost immediately. Matt gets mount and Lytle appears to be hanging on for dear life. Hughes put down some bad ground n' pound, cut Lytle pretty good. Out of nowhere, Lytle rolls over, pushes off the fence, and reverses Hughes. It doesn't last long but Lytle makes it out of the round.

Rd. 3 - More of the same. Hughes takes Lytle, gets side mount again, and drops elbows. Lytle mounts a good enough defense to keep from being KO'd or submitted. Again, last minute of the round, Lytle manages an escape when Hughes goes for an armbar, but the buzzer sounds, fight over.

Lytle made it to a decision, which has to be a moral victory for him. Other than an escape or two at the end of each round, Lytle had no answer for Hughes.

HUGHES BY UD

MacDonald v Franklin

Rd. 1 - MacDonald goes for a shoot, gets one leg. They bang up against the fence for awhile, MacDonald throwing knees to Franlin's thighs, Franklin throwing knees to the body. They move back to the center of the ring, Franklin hits MacDonald consistently but doesn't really do any damage. Franklin doesn't seem to be throwing as sharp or as crisp as he used to. MacDonald gets a TD at the end of the round, Franklin reverses and the bell sounds.

Rd. 2 - The fighters stand in the center of the octagon, Rich picking at MacDonald with jabs and straights. MacDonald isn't throwing anything. MacDonald goes for a single leg and gets Rich against the fence. MacDonald climbs over Rich and somehow gets Franklin's back while standing, with hooks in. They drop to the mat and Rich reverses. Franklin pours on some ground n' pound, busts MacDonald up pretty good. He tries to work a couple of sub attempts but nothing sticks. MacDonald isn't doing much, switching from his back to his belly, but has no answer for Franklin. They get back to their feet, Franklin ends up on top of MacDonald in the center of the mat, and starts dropping serious bombs from the mount. The bell rings before Herb Dean can intervene.

MacDonald's corner throws in the towel. Their man is unable to continue.

Franklin was fairly dominant, but MacDonald is one tough SOB. During the post-fight interview, Rich said he is looking forward to fighting Silva again, "I'm coming to get my belt back!" Silva comes into the octagon, and through a translator says that even though Rich no longer holds the belt, he is still a champion, and that he hopes to give Rich an opportunity the way Franklin did for him. People were booing Silva hard core when he was walking to the octagon, but Rich grabbed the mic and told people they shouldn't boo him, he is the middleweight champion of the UFC. Personally, I don't think Silva deserves to be booed, either, but the crowds at these events tend to boo at the drop of a hat anyway.

FRANKLIN 2ND RD TKO. Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kampmann v McFedries

Rd. 1 - McFedries is a bigger, more muscled black man, facing Kampmann who is a thinner, smaller, white man. The round starts with McFedries rocking Kampmann over and over again with hard, straight punches. When Kampmann finally throws a punch or two back, he seems to stun McFedries but doesn't capitalize. McFedries is winning the stand up handily. They clinch, and Kampmann executes what looked like a hip toss and immediately gets side control on McFedries. He jockeys for position and sets up McFedries for a triangle choke from side mount. It was a beautiful move; Kampmann was on side mount on one side, maneuvering McFedries' arm and head into position on the other side. Kampmann looks like he is going for mount, but sweeps all the way to the other side and into the triangle choke he had set up. McFedries is out - literally. The only thing about Kampmann's win is that he didn't let go of the choke when Dean was trying to stop the fight. Herb Dean (the ref) literally had to push Kampmann's head and arm away from McFedries to break the choke. A**hole move, in my opinion.

But Kampmann wins.

KAMPMANN RD 1 TRIANGLE CHOKE

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Couture v Sylvia

Crowd is going crazy for Randy Couture. There are signs in the crowd, "RANDY FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008."
smiley36.gif

Sylvia is being booed, there were very, very few cheers for Big Timmy.

Here we go!

Rd. 1 - WOW! Couture puts Sylvia on the mat with one punch! A straight right and Sylvia dropped to the mat! Randy jumped on him and pounded on him, but couldn't put him away. Randy has his back, but Big Timmy is on top. Randy has his hooks in but can't set up the RNC. They stay in that position for the remaining 4:50 seconds. Hard to believe they didn't stand them up.

They showed the replay of the punch. A thing of beauty.

Rd. 2 - The two exchange in the middle of the round. They rock each other with punches and go to clinch. Randy drives Sylvia to the fence and scores a take down. Randy is in Tim's guard, but Sylvia is so big that his punches and elbows from the bottom seem to be doing more damage to Couture than Randy's punches from the top. The stay this way, exchanging blows for a couple of minutes before the ref stands them up. Randy throws a couple more punches that hurt Sylvia. They clinch, Tim throws a knee and Randy uses it to score another take down by sweep. The round ends with Couture in Sylvia's guard.

Rd. 3 - Wow, Randy Couture thinks he is the MMA version of Roy Jones, Jr. He is bobbing and weaving all over the octagon, landing winging lefts and rights on Sylvia. Big Timmy is trying to jan and cross but Couture is dodging almost everything Big Timmy throws, and even when he hits Randy he doesn't seem to be doing any damage. Couture is by far landing the bigger punches. The only concern for Randy must be that he is slowing down and appears to running out of gas faster than Sylvia.

Ringside and I agree, the score should be 30-27, for Couture.

Rd. 4 - Randy wins the stand up again. He throws more winging bombs, ducking and weaving while Big Timmy stalks around the octagon frustrated. Randy gets another sweep takedown and ends up in side mount. He works a transition, gets mount but Sylvia gets out and lays on Randy for about 10 seconds before the bell rings.

Rd. 5 - Randy dominates the stand up. Couture scores a takedown, lays down some ground n' pound. They get a stand up and Randy continues to bust up Tim Sylvia. They clinch again and Randy again pushes Sylvia all the way back to the fence and gets another take down. It gets ugly. Tim Sylvia is busted up bad, his eye is swollen, he's bleeding from the mouth and nose. Randy pushes the fight all the way to the end; Sylvia looks like he's giving up. The bell rings.

COUTURE BY UD, 50-45.

Randy pushed the action all the way. He dominated Sylvia in the stand up and took him down every time he went for it. Rogan is giving Randy accolades in the post-fight interview, and Randy says, "Not bad for an old man, huh?" Randy said, "Someone asked me the other day, why I love America so much? I said, because of Jesus Christ who died for our sins, and American GI's who die for our freedom!"

Way to go Randy!
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

Bart

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the PBP Shogun. Is this considerd a huge upset? Didn't Couture retire a while back? How is Randy's last name pronounced phonetically? Thanks in advance.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hey Bart
Yeah, this is considered an upset. Sylvia had size, reach, weight, and youth on his side. Sylvia even has more wins on his record than Couture has total fights, wins and losses combined. But Randy has always been a crowd favorite. He comes across as a classy guy, a man's man without being macho or talking a lot of trash. His nickname is 'Captain America,' if that tells you anything.
smiley36.gif

Randy retired when he lost by KO to Chuck Liddell in his last fight. He signed a four fight contract with the UFC to come out of retirement. This was his first fight of the four. He is 43 years old.

His name is pronounced co-tour (like 'tour guide'.)

dkr77

Guru
Great posting Shogun! Randy Couture is unbelievable! I would have never thought that he would outbox Tim Sylvia. The man is an absolute pleasure to watch win, lose or draw. Just about all the fight's tonight were entertaining.

JD074

Master
Wow, The Natural out-strikes the striker again! I can't wait to see that fight.

Although it makes me wonder, if there's a rematch, will Sylvia make the necessary adjustments and exact revenge on Couture the way Liddell did? Hmm....

Poacher

Mentor
Great night of fights!

Kampman did hold the choke for too long. That said, it was very good for our cause that a skinny white guy choked out a muscular black guy. No amount of spin or pc nonsense can erase that image.

And how about Jason Lambert! Smashing the glowering Babalou into the dirt.

Jon Fitch won as well. Maybe we'll get to see him pretty soon.

Matt looked great in his return, Lytle was never really in it. Matt was laying on him like the proverbial "lead blanket" all night.

Rich looked even better. He pounded Macdonald mercilessly.

And of course there was Randy. My God...97 years old and beats the UFC HW champ. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. One of the greatest moments in MMA history.

From top to bottom that was the best UFC card I've ever seen.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
The most astounding and fascinating of all the fights was Couture versus Sylvia. I did not think it possible. That win is a big feather in his cap. I wonder if Liddel has the audacity to move up in weight and fight at heavy? Somehow I do not think so. Couture seems genuine, he's proud but not arrogant. Liddel seems to have some punk in him. No doubt after this result Liddel will have some jealousy of Couture. Couture will have no choice but to fight Cro-crop sometime in the future. Fair play to Couture!

guest301

Hall of Famer
Rogan is giving Randy accolades in the post-fight interview, and Randy says, "Not bad for an old man, huh?" Randy said, "Someone asked me the other day, why I love America so much? I said, because of Jesus Christ who died for our sins, and American GI's who die for our freedom!"

Way to go Randy!
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif
[/QUOTE]
Awesome fight and qoute by Randy Couture...I already had alot of respect for him but it's just been multiplied 10x...He truly is Captain America....Shogun..the UFC should employ you on it's website..you are excellent at this play by play stuff...Does it distract from your enjoyment of the fight to keep up with all the second by second action... You are great at this...Just one more reason to love the UFC because of class acts like Couture and the way that Franklin and Silva comported themselves after Rich won his fight is just one more reason to be a proud MMA fan.Thanks again Shogun.

Triad

Mentor
Maple Leaf said:
No doubt after this result Liddel will have some jealousy of Couture. Couture will have no choice but to fight Cro-crop sometime in the future. Fair play to Couture!
Liddell has no reason to be jealous of Couture. What Randy did is give even more exposure to the UFC. Liddell has already expressed his desire to move up and face Cro-Cop and other heavyweights after he fights Jackson.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Wow! What an upset. I was sure Sylvia would eek out a victory. I think Big Timmy never trained for or expected Randy to stand up with him. I think he assumed Randy would shoot on him all night (only). Randy is a class guy, so it's a good win for MMA. I was glad to see white boys Kampmann & Lambert win!
smiley1.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Randy Couture's ring entrance music was Aerosmith's remake of "Back In The Saddle Again". Just one more reason to like the guy.
smiley2.gif