UFC 102 : Couture vs. Nog

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the card for this Saturday's UFC 102 in Portland, Oregon...

Main card
Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
Middleweight bout: Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia
Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

Preliminary card
Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson
Heavyweight bout: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Heavyweight bout: Justin McCully vs. Mike Russow
Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs. Todd Duffee
Middleweight bout: Nick Catone vs. Mark Muñoz

I'll be pulling for Couture, Jardine, Leben, Marquardt, Soszynski, Herman, Tuchscherer & Cantone!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I'm really looking forward to this one. Maia is my favorite fighter and the winner of this fight will (I predict) get a shot at Henderson for the vacant middleweight title (I am assuming A. Silva is going up to 205). Shame as I really feel Maia is the one to beat A. Silva at 185.

My predictions:

Nogs
Jardine
Leben
Maia
Soszynski
Edited by: Liverlips

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
LL, Maia is an ADCC Champ (2007, Under 88KG Division), and his BJJ is best of the best. However, Nate Marquardt is bigger, stronger, more athletic with ALOT better stand-up. Nate's been training a ton of takedown defense preparing for this fight. If Maia can't get Nate to the mat, he'll probably get KO'd. I don't think Silva has vacated his MW belt yet, and will face the winner of this bout. I would/will be pulling for Maia against Silva, & believe he can sub Silva if it goes to the mat. I watched "Countdown to UFC 102" last night, and look forward to checkin' it out.
smiley1.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Sweet - I'll usually catch the Countdown show on MTV the day or so before the event.

Yeah, Marquardt is a beast and is also one of my faves. I won't be upset if he wins but not sure Nate is the man to take A. Silva. Having said that, he did ok in their 2007 fight until he just got caught.

You are right, Silva has not vacated his belt yet but there are lots of rumors that it will happen. Besides, isn't Henderson first in line for a rematch with A. Silva?

Do not like Vera at all. My friend knows him a bit and says he is a stereotypical wigger (though he is half Filipino and half white). Pretty arrogant guy too.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Sweet - I'll usually catch the Countdown show on MTV the day or so before the event.

Yeah, Marquardt is a beast and is also one of my faves. I won't be upset if he wins but not sure Nate is the man to take A. Silva. Having said that, he did ok in their 2007 fight until he just got caught.

You are right, Silva has not vacated his belt yet but there are lots of rumors that it will happen. Besides, isn't Henderson first in line for a rematch with A. Silva?

Do not like Vera at all. My friend knows him a bit and says he is a stereotypical wigger (though he is half Filipino and half white). Pretty arrogant guy too.

Ditto on Vera...he's a c0cky mug indeed. It was nice seeing Jardine & Tim Sylvia beat him. I hope the heavy-handed Pole Krzysztof Soszynski KTFOs "our pal" Vera tomorrow evening!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
5 Questions: UFC 102 Edition

Saturday, August 29, 2009
by Jake Rossen (jrossen@sherdog.com)

1) Is Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira done?

Nogueira is like something out of children's television -- a leather boot that talks. Active since 1999, he's taken more physical abuse than a crash test dummy. (Watch his 2002 fight with Bob Sapp, then marvel at how he can still dress himself.) A career in the trenches seemed to have caught up with him against Frank Mir last December; he's had the better part of the year off to gather his bearings.

He can afford a loss -- a 2-2 UFC record isn't cause for extradition -- but he can't afford an ugly one.

2) Is Demian Maia the best jiu-jitsu artist in MMA?

There is a fluidity and arrangement to Demian Maia's jiu-jitsu that is often found in high-level grappling tournaments but not nearly as much in MMA. This is because intricate set-ups often fall victim to their orchestrator getting punched in the eye. Maia makes it work: he manages to fight his fight, manipulating opponents like a Rubik's Cube while avoiding trouble.

Nate Marquardt is the most trouble he's ever had: if Maia can lock him up, he makes a strong case for being the most enviable one-dimensional fighter in the sport.

3) Can a non-title headliner draw business?

The UFC does not release official buy rates, but plenty of conjecture gets thrown around. If recent numbers circulated are anywhere near accurate, events with non-title bouts (Franklin/Silva, Jackson/Jardine, Henderson/Franklin) drew homes in the 350,000 range; events with title cappers (Evans/Machida, Silva/Leites, St-Pierre/Penn) attracted a minimum 600,000 purchases. Champions usually get the bulk of attention and PR push: the fact that Nogueira and Couture have nothing on the line beyond intangible historical stroke may wind up selling them -- and the event -- short.

4) Can Brandon Vera live up to his own hype?

Swagger is nothing new to the sport, but Vera takes it to new strides: despite a mixed record in recent appearances, he's still adamant he'll hold two belts at once. Fighting Krzysztof Soszynski, a roughneck fighter with a perfect UFC record, puts him in serious danger of eating those words.

5) Age doesn't matter for Randy Couture. Does size?

Couture's senior discount at IHOP notwithstanding, he's remarkably durable for a man of his age and experience. Considering Nogueira appears just as old due to battle wear, reflexes and agility may be a wash: physically, Couture will have to deal with the 20-25 lb. weight advantage Nogueira possesses. Standing, that's not such a problem. On the ground, it may feel like 50.
***Reference article... Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Poacher

Mentor
Marquardt looked great. Too bad about Randy.

I think Nate should get another shot at Silva.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the results of UFC 102. Jardine now officially has a suspect chin, and Randy needs to stay at LHW or retire (for good). However, I think Nate the Great is ready to dethrone the "faux P4P Champ" Silva.

Preliminary card
Lightweight bout: Marcus Aurelio vs. Evan Dunham
Dunham defeated Aurelio via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27).
Middleweight bout: Nick Catone vs. Mark Muñoz
Muñoz defeated Catone via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28).
Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs. Todd Duffee
Duffee defeated Hague via KO (punches) at 0:07 of round 1. Duffee sets the new record for the UFC's fastest knockout beating Don Frye and James Irvin who were tied at 8 seconds.
Heavyweight bout: Justin McCully vs. Mike Russow
Russow defeated McCully via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-26, 30-27).
Heavyweight bout: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Gonzaga defeated Tuchscherer via TKO (punches) at 2:27 of round 1.
Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Aaron Simpson
Simpson defeated Herman via TKO (injury) at 0:17 of round 2.

Main card
Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
Vera defeated Soszynski via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Middleweight bout: Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
Rosholt defeated Leben via submission (arm triangle choke) at 1:20 of round 3.
Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia
Marquardt defeated Maia via KO (punch) at 0:21 of round 1.
Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
Silva defeated Jardine via KO (punches) at 1:35 of round 1.
Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Nogueira defeated Couture via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28).

Bonus awards
Fighters were awarded $60,000 bonuses.

Fight of the Night: Randy Couture vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Knockout of the Night: Nate Marquardt
Submission of the Night: Jake Rosholt

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Randy lost to a top 5 heavyweight in a great fight, in which he showed a good chin, tons of endurance, and as always, lots of heart. He doesn't need to retire or drop weight, I think he can fight at either level. Although, at light heavyweight he would run into guys who are much faster than he is, so that division could potentially be worse for him. Anyway, they're reporting now that he signed a new six-fight contract with the UFC.

I agree about Jardine, though. But then again he hasn't been given any easy fights since he fought Houston Alexander, and we know how that turned out. Rampage, Forrest, Chuck, Brandon Vera, Wanderlei Silva, Thiago Silva... when does this guy get a break? He needs to drop down to second-tier competition for a few fights, imo.

Personally, I think I can do without having to watch Ed Herman or even Chris Leben for awhile though, unless they're under card fillers televised during the PPV to fill time.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

jared

Mentor
Jardine looked pretty fast and sharp last night until he got tagged. Too bad, like Forrest, his chin will keep his ceiling at 205 pretty low. I thought the Ed Herman-Aaron Simpson fight was awesome. Herman showed off a great chin and a lot of heart. Either way, I think his knee injury ensures we won't see him again soon.

Deacon

Guru
Jardine's a fool for saying Lesnar's antics during UFC 100 was disgusting while his teammate Rashad Evans has done far worse disrespectful crap.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WS, Randy is an MMA legend & still in outstanding shape, however, he's never had heavy hands or been a submission guy (save for rarities like vs. Van Arsdale). I think he'd have trouble with Mir & Carwin as well. However, I think he'd best guys like Velasquez, (caste-"god") Kongo & even Herring & Crocop. To clarify my earlier statements (out of frusturation of Randy's loss)...he can still compete at HW, but I don't ever see him getting the strap back with heavy handed monsters like Lesnar & Carwin atop the division. ***I'll continue to pull for him!
smiley1.gif

Deacon, good point on Jardine's hyprocrisy regarding Lesnar & YOshad's unsportsman like antics. I know Jardine & YOshad are team mates, but I just hope the Dean of Mean doesn't have a little "jungle fever"!
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Deacon said:
Jardine's a fool for saying Lesnar's antics during UFC 100 was disgusting while his teammate Rashad Evans has done far worse disrespectful crap.

Has Rashad ever flipped off the fans, dissed a sponsor, or talked about having sex with his wife? I don't remember.

smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
A six-fight new contract for Couture is nothing short of amazing. I am convinced that Couture wants to hit the 50 year old mark before he retires. It looks like the UFC may allow him to do just that. Good fight against NOG but it's time for Couture to stay at lightheavyweight.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
1. Very sad to see my favorite fighter (Maia) get clocked in 21 seconds. If it had gone to the ground I think Demian would have gotten the sub (even though Nate is a black belt in BJJ as well). That being said, best of luck to Nate (or Dan Henderson) in their rematch with A. Silva.

2. Jardine is a complete fighter save for one GLARING weakness. His chin is very suspect. But he did get out of choke hold with a sweet move that stood the fight back up. Too bad he couldn't capitalize.

3. Couture-Nog was an awesome fight. Wouldn't mind seeing Randy try A. Silva at 205.

4. Roscholt could be one to watch. His stand up game is still suspect though he improved a lot since I saw him last year. That solid wrestling background and his heart/strength will take him far. Great chin too.

5. Vera is annoying and has slipped a lot since he beat Mir in 2006.

hawkeye

Guru
I was very impressed with Todd Duffey considering he is only 23 years old. Another guy I expects UFC to go after is Chad Corvin, a 22 year old prospect from Tennessee. Corvin is 7-0 and nobody has gone past the second round against him. I think the whites are going to have serious impact on the heavyweight division.

jared

Mentor
I was bummed about the Maia fight too, Liverlips. I was hoping to see how his BJJ looked against a strong and competent fighter like Marquardt. It was the fight on the card I was most looking forward to. Oh well, he will rebound I'm sure. Better to see him pasted by Nate than Anderson Silva. Oh and I did not realize Duffey is only 23 years old, Hawkeye, that's awesome. I will keep an eye out for Corvin as well.