U.S.S.A = Couch Tater Nation

The article says, obese American women average '11 seconds of vigorous daily exercise'.
11 seconds ?, is that the time spent straining & struggling to tear open the bag of Doritos..

Tragic & pitiful.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Women never needed "daily vigorous exercise" to look just fine. So many are obese because of their eating habits, not because they aren't hitting the gym. Up until recently, women were supposed to look soft and feminine rather than "hard," and few were fatties. By eating mostly healthy food and in moderate portions and getting exercise from life's daily routines -- walking around, going up and down stairs, doing chores, working at home or outside the home, running after the kids, etc. -- a woman could maintain her figure into middle age as long as she didn't overeat. Sexy women pre-hard body days -- think of Playboy models from the '50s through the '80s -- were more desirable than today's gym rats with their muscles, mannish jaws and rock-hard abs, other than their sprawling bushes. Trimming and/or shaving that area was a big improvement visually, the rest of the body changes typified by the "modern" woman, not so much.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Women never needed "daily vigorous exercise" to look just fine. So many are obese because of their eating habits, not because they aren't hitting the gym. Up until recently, women were supposed to look soft and feminine rather than "hard," and few were fatties. By eating mostly healthy food and in moderate portions and getting exercise from life's daily routines -- walking around, going up and down stairs, doing chores, working at home or outside the home, running after the kids, etc. -- a woman could maintain her figure into middle age as long as she didn't overeat. Sexy women pre-hard body days -- think of Playboy models from the '50s through the '80s -- were more desirable than today's gym rats with their muscles, mannish jaws and rock-hard abs, other than their sprawling bushes. Trimming and/or shaving that area was a big improvement visually, the rest of the body changes typified by the "modern" woman, not so much.
I like an athletic woman, but not overly muscled. I like a flat stomach and nice round butt. The shaving of the vagina threw me off 10 years ago, but I dig it now. The same goes for a trimmed vagina. But to me a woman has to have nice legs and toned butt. The breasts are not a major deal to me. She can be almost flat to a full C. Anything else is excessive.

Women (and men) are becoming obese because they consume too many calories. Exercise for the purpose of burning calories and losing weight is largely a waste of time. An hour of "cardio" can be destroyed in 30 seconds with a bag of cookies. Hours of "cardio" will wear out the joints, and is time better spent planning and cooking healthier meals of real food. "Let's Move" isn't the answer. Let's Eat Less would be a better initiative. Exercise is good for maintaining strength, muscle mass, and bone density, and a host of other benefits. They aren't fat because they don't exercise, they don't exercise (or do anything else) because they are fat.

Women of previous generations didn't "hit the gym", but they weren't fat. They ate real food, and didn't stuff themselves every single day. They also didn't consume gallons of Diet Coke every day.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just watched a bit of the 1960 movie "Where the Boys Are," about spring break in Fort Lauderdale. The college girls have nice figures, have pleasant and feminine countenances, their primary interest is being alluring to the young men there, and you can bet that not a one of them ever lifted weights or used a treadmill, and would have found the idea of doing so preposterous.

Other details -- the city is all White, even the crowd shots from the streets and beaches, everyone is clean cut, not a tat in sight, and hardly anyone appeared to be overweight with no one morbidly obese. And the police are without firearms much less the tactical battle gear commonly sported in today's multicultural utopia, and were told by their captain to be nice to the students and do their best not to arrest anyone even if they were breaking the law.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Americans in general exercise little self-control in their diet, and as a result we have to exercise to maintain ourselves like our ancestors did.