Trying to draw the bottom line on race

Freedom

Mentor
The Tony Romo thread has been hijacked now, but I want to continue the argument.

Basically, it is about whether Tony Romo is white or not.
All of the arguments on either side all are based on different definitions and classifications of white.

First, we've got guys like Sark635something who argue that he is white because he is of white complexion. To them, race-at least in the case of Tony Romo and the NFL-is based largely on appearance.

On the opposite side, we've got JD074 who argue that Romo isn't white, primarily because he has two Mexican grandparents that appear to partially come from native(Amerindian) stock.
To him, I think white is a race that consists of people whose entire heritage is of groups of very specific tribes including the Aryans and their sub-groups, and probably a few others. The fact is that eventually everyone could eventually be classified as non-white. Most evidence says humans came from east Africa in the riff valley and migrated, and then evolved into different sub-species and races. There are lots of gaps in this theory, but I think it is the most plausible.

Now, when people migrated to Europe and their skin mutated to be light, you might say that these people evolved to become the white race and that all its members have all of their ancestors be these first Europeans. These people had great civilizations on the Danube, became Kurgans in Russia, and became the Basque people in the Pyrrenies(excuse my spelling right now). But wait, this doesn't include people who are descended from the Phoenicians, the Sicilians, the Hungarians, and the Aryans(Celts, Franks, Germans, Angles, Saxons, Scots, whatever). The modern European is the product of race mixing amongst these people.

So what is race about then? Race is two sided I think. Genetics and Mannerisms. It has to do with how close a certain group of people's genetics are. There is no fixed line for that. But also, it comes down to vice and virtue. That is what sports are really all about, virtue. The Sicilian and the Hungarian have assimilated and adopted a culture that is "European" so they really are white by my definition; someone who has chosen to embrace European customs and ways and mindset almost like
a Robert E. Howard novel. So theoretically, if a black kid desperately wanted to become white, if he did enough he could.

Don't confuse white "virtue" with good or bad virtue though. A mexican/black mixed kid who listens to rap music and wears a do-rag clearly doesn't have any "white virtue". He is not necessarily bad.

Holy sh*t, this is way tougher to do than I thought.

PitBull

Guru
Its not really that tough. Some here will root for a primarily white athlete.
But all here will root for a completely white athlete. Everbody is entitled to
their own opinion, but I think its best to concentrate on what we can agree
on. Romo is proud of his non-whiteness, okay, fine, but don't expect me to
jump up and down about it. If he can outplay the Caste System favorites,
fine, he can help break the myth, so he serves a purpose. So we root for
him because he breaks the myth, but we don't root for him as much as we
do a purely white athlete who is not ashamed of and brainwashed against
being proud of his white heritage. Simple. We root harder for our own kind.

Freedom

Mentor
No one should have to be ashamed of their heritage. I would consider Romo white because of his appearance and his mannerisms. He never said he was non-white. He said he was "hispanic." He could consider hispanics to be white of Spanish extraction. Are spaniards of moorish stock white?
Azorean Portuguese are considered white by myself and the census, but are often considered "non white" by many if they don't look at them all individually, but as a group because they are unfairly stereotyped to be similar the Brazilian and Mexican(mostly Mayan, the really do look different) immigrants since they speak a similar or identical language. But they definitely should be considered white.
What about a white guy that becomes a jew? He has a kid. The kid isn't jewish. Is the kid white? Frankly, I'd consider many European Jews whites(like Kessler(the boxer) or Olshansky, just as long as they don't consider themselves Semetic. Edited by: Freedom

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Have him walk down the street in South Central LA, no jersey or other ID. We'll find out if he is 'white' soon enough.

white is right

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Have him walk down the street in South Central LA, no jersey or other ID. We'll find out if he is 'white' soon enough.
When the race riots erupted in LA in 92 I recall ethnic Mexicans getting attacked like anglos why was that? (because they were caucasian). In my mind there is no difference between Brett Favre and Romo. One has native ancestry from south of the Rio Grande and one has native ancestry from the Delta. Also I really think that his grandparents installed pride in his Mexican heritage because at one time many Mexicans assimilated because of bad racism against them. Any ethnic Mexican that was significantly caucasian became anglicized because of this.Edited by: white is right

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We all have our thoughts on what consists of the races or ethnicities.The main purpose of this site is to support the many white athletes that are being singled out and discriminated against.We may not always agree on every white athlete,but common sense tells us for the most part what side we are on.I really think that we need to try to get back to supporting these kids and not be so worried about their ancestry going back who knows how long?Let's get back on the subject.Thanks guys.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Irvin would have made such a comment if he didn't believe Romo to be 100% white in the first place.

Bunnyman

Guru
Mikkel Kessler (the boxer from Denmark) is not Jewish. Kessler is not an exclusively Jewish name.

For the record, Tony Romo is a white man. If the members of CF ever had a conference, Romo would not stand out in the least.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I would like the Caste football viewpoint on the race of an athlete to be as follows: Root for the white guys.

Decide for yourself what constitutes "white" and cheer your ass off for him. Let others do the same if they wish.

Feel free to comment one way or another but don't belabor the point as it is really just a personal choice in some cases and therefore should be left to each person to decide for themselves.

My own personal opinion is to cut some slack to anyone that has any significant amount of our peoples blood running through their veins as they are at some level still "family". Why be so cruel as to exclude them for some small measure of otherness especially if they reflect so little of it in their manners. But NOTE this is just MY opinion, feel free to be intolerant (but polite) if you wish.

JD074

Master
Freedom said:
On the opposite side, we've got JD074 who argue that Romo isn't white, primarily because he has two Mexican grandparents that appear to partially come from native(Amerindian) stock.

I think "partially" is an understatement.

To him, I think white is a race that consists of people whose entire heritage is of groups of very specific tribes including the Aryans and their sub-groups, and probably a few others. The fact is that eventually everyone could eventually be classified as non-white.

That's not the issue. We're not talking about extremely distant ancestry. We're talking about his grandparents.

So theoretically, if a black kid desperately wanted to become white, if he did enough he could.

This goes without saying, but I very much disagree!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: JD074

JD074

Master
Freedom said:
What about a white guy that becomes a jew? He has a kid. The kid isn't jewish. Is the kid white?

Ethnic Jews and Judaism are two different things. Converting to Judaism doesn't change your ancestry!

Frankly, I'd consider many European Jews whites(like Kessler(the boxer) or Olshansky, just as long as they don't consider themselves Semetic.

If a Jew's ancestry for the last couple of centuries is European, I have no problem with classifying him as white. The problem with European Jews is not their ethnicity, it's their anti-white ideologies. Edited by: JD074

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:

How would an Asian guy fare in South Central?

white is right said:
When the race riots erupted in LA in 92 I recall ethnic Mexicans getting attacked like anglos why was that? (because they were caucasian).

Or was it because they're not black?

white lightning said:
I really think that we need to try to get back to supporting these kids and not be so worried about their ancestry going back who knows how long?

We're not "going back" that far. Just his grandparents. Edited by: JD074

JD074

Master
jaxvid said:
I would like the Caste football viewpoint on the race of an athlete to be as follows: Root for the white guys.

Decide for yourself what constitutes "white" and cheer your ass off for him. Let others do the same if they wish.

Feel free to comment one way or another but don't belabor the point as it is really just a personal choice in some cases and therefore should be left to each person to decide for themselves.

I agree. But we are very much emotionally invested in our favorite athletes, and we will get offended when others aren't so fond of them.

Why be so cruel as to exclude them for some small measure of otherness

I'm sorry to have to say this over and over again, but "some small measure of otherness" is not the issue here. You guys make it sound like it's his great-great-great grandparents!

But NOTE this is just MY opinion, feel free to be intolerant (but polite) if you wish.

I will be tolerant, I will be polite, and I will disagree.
smiley4.gif
Edited by: JD074