Tropical Storm/Hurricane Forecast

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Fay's path shows just how unpredictable these storms can be, especially beyond a 2 or 3 day forecast. Hurricane Gustav looks to be heading towards the Gulf of Mexico according to forecast and many computer models. I do not know how many here have to be concern with taking precautions when there is a potential threat. Here are some computer models showing some projected paths. I'll try to post models once there is significant news. Look for an increase in the price of oil if Gustav remains a threat to the Gulf.

tropical-2008-gustav-wu_computermodels-640x480.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I saw an article that already had oil prices going up, supposedly just from it hitting Haiti. I guess we all better go fill up now. The cheapest I can find here in Utah County right now is $3.81. I have some friends near the Mississippi and Louisiana Gulf Coasts so I'll be keeping an eye on this storm.

GWTJ

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
The cheapest I can find here in Utah County right now is $3.81.

Reb, here in New Jersey I just filled my tank yesterday for $3.35 a gal. Pretty cheap. Of course, if you want that cheap gas price, you have to live here.
smiley18.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:
Colonel_Reb said:

Reb, here in New Jersey I just filled my tank yesterday for $3.35 a gal. Pretty cheap. Of course, if you want that cheap gas price, you have to live here.
smiley18.gif

Funny how we have become conditioned to think of gas at $3.35 a gallon as cheap.
smiley5.gif

Menelik

Mentor
White Shogun said:
GWTJ said:
Colonel_Reb said:

smiley18.gif

Funny how we have become conditioned to think of gas at $3.35 a gallon as cheap.
smiley5.gif

Good comment. For the financial gurus here what would be a 'decent' price to pay for gas? I'ts going for $3.50s in Middle GA.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
A decent price to me would be under 90 cents per gallon. Thats what it was when I was in high school.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
The computer models image used in the first post is updating on its own. As of this post, the last update was 8:00 pm EDT. Excellent, Caste Football is becoming my one stop source for sports, politics, world events and weather.
smiley1.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Quiet Speed said:
The computer models image used in the first post is updating on its own.

The machines are taking over!
smiley36.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Hope that thing slams N.O. so we can see if Nagin and the rest of his crew learned anything. They should be making plans as we speak.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tisn't looking good for the Gulf Coast, but at least the storm is weakening right now. Maybe it won't get too strong before it hits.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, Gustav is a Cat 4 now and might be a Cat 5 tonight. I'm really curious to see what path the storm takes once it gets past Cuba.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Just more proof that New Orleans is a fishbowl and should have never been rebuilt. Governor Jindal should be alot better handling this than the previous governor. Of course they still have that fool Mayor Nagin there still heading up things in New Orleans. That city should be depopulated and nothing more than a very large ghost town we read about in our history books. Stop pouring billions of dollars in that sinkhole because it is mostly not appreciated by those we are trying to help.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Beat me to it - Reb. Hopefully it will weaken somewhat before it makes landfall. Just as I was about to gas up yesterday they reset the pump from $3.60 a gallon to 3.80. Gheez!

Hanna is a threat to Florida and the east coast now, and there are two more tropical waves behind it that bear watching.

Computer Models - Hanna:

tropical-2008-hanna-wu_computermodels-640x480.jpg

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Quiet Speed said:
Hopefully it will weaken somewhat before it makes landfall.

Let me just add that Katrina weakened before it made landfall. Once the storm surge built up (it reach an unbelievable 28 ft. in Mississipp) the decrease in intensity didn't mean jack. It was easy for the water to keep its momentum with lesser winds. All people vulnerable to storm surge please don't mess around.Edited by: Quiet Speed

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Edit: My first double post and I haven't been drinking.Edited by: Quiet Speed

Deus Vult

Mentor
guest301 said:
... Governor Jindal should be alot better handling this than the previous governor...

Even if he screws up, he will deflect attention from his blunders by taking credit for any good thing any state worker does. This little creep (Jindal) is an ambitious media-chaser and a shameless credit-hog.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Katrina memories come racing back as Louisiana prepares for the arrival of SuperHurricane Gustav. A few improvements have occurred in Louisiana that will likely prevent a repeat of the fiasco of Katrina.

The new Governor, Bobby Jindal, is not a nitwit like his idiotic predecessor, a neurotic Liberal woman. Jindal is of Indian Hindu extraction, and certainly out of place being in charge of White Cajuns in Louisiana, but he's light-years better than Catherine Blanco. Jindal has already threatened looters, and influnced the idiot ******* mayor of New Orleans to NOT open the Superdome or other public buildings as huge death-centers for White evacuees, surrounded by Black criminals.

The Levee breaches from Katrina have been reinforced. The USA Corps of Engineers general has already been on the Tube announcing that he stands by the "Corps' work" but can't speak for other parts of the Levee system not built by USACE! At least he's honest.

Gustav has been nice enough to form way out in the Caribbean, allowing a five-day planning period for the Gulf Coast to negotiate terms of surrender. Katrina crossed South Florida into the Gulf, and was all over New Orleans in two short days.

Many bridge and road improvements have been effected in Louisiana and Mississippi, despite the efforts of FEMA incompetents to render the entire area unusable. Unfortunately Chertoff is still at the helm at DHS, and will find a way to Zionize the response to Gustav and make many people miserable.

The eye of Gustav looks most likely to enter the United States through Terrebonne Parish Louisiana, giving a 50-mile buffer zone to New Orleans to the Northeast. A surge into Lake Pontchiartrian is likely, but not with the magnitude that Katrina provided.

So if you have friends or acquaintences in Louisiana or coastal Texas east of Houston, say a little prayer. Gustav is a savage beast

Poacher

Mentor
Residents have been advised to head to the nearest Barnes and Noble for safety as this store seems immune to looting.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
I have two friends at Tulane, who are on their way back home to Philadelphia. Last year, Tulane had to end their semester early, if I recall. Thank goodness white people with means have the sense to get out as soon as possible.

Poacher said:
Hope that thing slams N.O. so we can see if Nagin and the rest of his crew learned anything. They should be making plans as we speak.

I'm just waiting for Ray Nagin and his "chocolate city posse" to start blaming White people the second the storm starts doing damage. I can see it now...

"White man invented hurricanes to kill black people!"

smiley36.gif