Triathlon(s)

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I was curious if any of you fellas have ever competed in a triathlon? If so, how much training did you do in preparation (per week, type & overall)? Thanks!

Menelik

Mentor
Did a small one when I was in the army, 2 mile swim, 10 mile run, 50 mile bike ride. Did a lot of circuit training to prep but I should have stuck to distance swimming. The swim tore me a new one and I'm a good swimmer.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hey, Dixie. i'm not a tri guy, but i've been to several because i've a good friend who is an elite tri-athlete. he trains constantly.

as far as training for your first one, it depends on what level of performance you're going for. if you're just in it to have fun, just train enough to be able to finish without dying (the swim is usually the hardest for newbs to deal with, or so i'm told). if you want to be competitive, you're going to have to train a LOT.

the atmosphere of every triathlon i've been at is very cool, as all the competitors and spectators are very supportive and helpful toward and of one another. perhaps it goes without saying, but every tri i've attended (including some elite national meets) is a virtual all-White affair. i doubt i've seen more than 5 negroes total at all the events i've ever been to. despite this complete lack of diversity, there are a ton of phenomenal athletes out there, and a sense of camraderie never seen on an NFL field or NBA court.

"weird," huh?

are you thinking of trying to complete one, DD? if so, very cool.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Thanks fellers! :)JC, I am thinking of a (sprint) triathlon as a "long term" fitness goal (e.g. - 12-16 months from now). At 6'8 300+, I don't exactly have a triathlete's physique & my cardio is subpar right now. I figure 9+ months to drop (alot) more weight & re-gain solid base cardio, & (then) another 3-4+ months of heavy duty triathlon training. Even when I was playing hoops & football, I had average cardio...so this is a lofty fitness goal for me...& hopefully not a pipe dream. ;-)