Travis Jervey

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to post this video of Travis Jervey racing H.Walker. Jervey could have been a great running back if he would have been in the right system. He ran in the 4.30's for the 40 yard dash. His biggest knock though was that he fumbled too much. I still don't belive he got a fair shake. We all know how the Caste System works. What a race here. Boy could this kid fly! Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMdOC9GbOQEdited by: white lightning

icsept

Master
Ha Ha. That was Chris Collinsworth's voice on the play-by-play. He couldn't have sounded more disappointed that the superior afflete got beat. I'm sure he went on to make excuses for Herschel.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Great speed by Jervey beating one of the caste/DWF all-time favorite college TBs. The DWF "Dawg Nation" still holds #34 in "god" like status.
smiley8.gif

Wow walker had a better start but Jervey made up for it quick. I am sorely lacking in knowledge of 1990s NFL players outside of a few favorite teams at the time.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Walker had a slightly more explosive first two steps but Travis caught him with easy soon after. great find! i hope it stays on youtube and doesn't disappear from it.Edited by: backrow

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Ahhh, James Jett. The typical really fast afflete that can't catch a cold.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes they can't even run in a straight line. The Steelers had a really fast free agent back in the '80s named Dwight Stone. They tried to turn him into a receiver but he became a joke even among the DWFs because when he would run by the DBs and make a catch he had a proclivity for running out of bounds without being touched or pressured. The Steelerseventually gave up and made him a special teamer only, and he lasted a long time in the league (with the Steelers, Panthers and Jets) as a relatively rare Black Special Teams Demon. Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for posting the video link, white lightning!

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Don Wassall wrote:

"The Steelers had a really fast free agent back in the '80s named Dwight Stone. They tried to turn him into a receiver but he became a joke even among the DWFs because when he would run by the DBs and make a catch he had a proclivity for running out of bounds without being touched or pressured."

Dwight "Hands of" Stone-what memories!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Jervey got gypped!!!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Electric Slide said:
Wow walker had a better start but Jervey made up for it quick. I am sorely lacking in knowledge of 1990s NFL players outside of a few favorite teams at the time.

Wikipedia says that Herschel Walker was timed at 10.22 in the 100 meter dash- making him one of the fastest NFL players ever at that distance. That is absolutely amazing that Jervey beat him over a shorter distance. Jervey has a FREAKISH drive phase- and if he slimmed down a bit for track- he might have been a world class pro track contender at 50 or 60 meters! Jervey also squatted 650 lbs before. Jerveygotgypped!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's players like Travis Jervey, Tim Dwight and Don Beebe that prove the caste system is very real. These guys were among the fastest players in the entire NFL. If the NFL was fair we would see many more white speedsters in the game.

newguy

Guru
I remeber Jim Kelly who was the Buffalo Bills quaterback when Don Beebe was playing, was once quoted as saying Don Beebe was uncoverable in practice. If he was uncoverable in practice, he would have been uncoverable in a game. I know they had Andre Reed who was a pretty good receiver, but they could have used Don Beebe as the second receiver.

I often wonder how much of the caste system relates to coaches thinking that white players aren't as good as black players, as opposed to coaches not giving whites the opportunity, because they don't want to upset the black players by starting a white guy at a supposedly "black position".

Blacks always support each other over whites, and will shout racism even if none exists to champion each other. When the coach is relying on predominatly black players (75% of the NFL) to win, it is a valid arguement. In the world of sports (NFL/NBA) the black athlete is the desirable worker and the white athlete is the Neg** with no affirmative action to protect them so they will get a fair shot.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
newguy said:
I remeber Jim Kelly who was the Buffalo Bills quaterback when Don Beebe was playing, was once quoted as saying Don Beebe was uncoverable in practice.

He said that about Steve Tasker but it may well have been true of Beebe also. Both could/should have been starters at WR.

newguy

Guru
Thanks for the correction Don. I forgot that it was Steve Tasker. It was such a long time ago. It's easy to mix them up though, you know all of whites look alike. LOL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
smiley36.gif
I used to feel badly for how Tasker was relegated to special teams duties when he could have been a standout receiver, but listening to himbroadcast NFL games has lessened my sympathy.

Westside

Hall of Famer
What years did Travis play and what was his last year?

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just checked out the video. Yeah he was fast, but what happened when he raced James Jett? I guess he had a bad day. Anyways, while on Youtube also watched one of the 10 best plays ever in the NFL. Jason Sehorn interception in the playoffs. WOW!!! I never get tired of watching it.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Hey Don is Tasker another "Uncle Cris" if so, chaulk another white player as being a miscreant and castean lap dog. I hope that I am wrong about Steve.

Tom Iron

Mentor
I always wondered at why Steve Tasker wasn't allowed to plqat wr. He made the probowl as special teams player many times. Why couldn't he even get a bit of a chance at wr I thought? That was before I knew the score. Now I know.

As far as Tasker broadcasting, I've never heard him. But I'd guess he knows what he's got to do to stay on the air.

Tom Iron...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Westside said:
What years did Travis play and what was his last year?

Enter a search with any player's name and pro football reference and you can see their career stats in seconds.