Hall of Famer
robert-e-lee.jpg

Happy General Robert E. Lee Day!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nice thread, werewolf! Happy General Lee Day! :thumbsup:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
The south could have marched straight into, and seized, Washington after the first Battle of Bull Run and then the world would have been a much better place today.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The south could have marched straight into, and seized, Washington after the first Battle of Bull Run and then the world would have been a much better place today.

Yes, nice thread werewolf, but correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Potomac River the main obstacle that separated The Confederate Forces from marching immediately on Washington?

They hesitated to try and regroup to maneuver a way across and or around and it cost them, giving the The Union time to re-enforce their troops. The hesitation by The Confederacy was a costly mistake or hesitation or else history would not be as we know it today.

Again, I could be wrong on some details, but ultimately ww is correct.

Last edited:

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Robert E Lee was one of the smartest military leaders in history.

Most people don't know this, but at the beginning of the Civil War, before Virginia joined the South, Abraham Lincoln asked Lee to lead the Union Army.

He won many battles where he was greatly outnumbered, such as Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg.

Lee was personally opposed to slavery (I think one of the biggest mistakes in world history was bringing African slaves to North America, and white people have paid a terrible price for it, especially in recent decades).

People think the Civil War was about slavery, but Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation actually came two years after the beginning of the Civil War. Slaves were really only important to the economies of the cotton states like Alabama, and slavery wasn't really a major issue in states like Virginia.

The Civil War had more to do with economics and the North wanting to impose it's will on the South than about slavery.

There are two great movies on the Civil War I recommend: Gods and Generals and Gettysburg.

263351_5_.jpg

Last edited:

referendum

Mentor
Yeah, Gods and Generals is a great movie. I'm amazed that it was actually produced. I've often pondered what would have happened had Lincoln not gone after the deep south states that had seceded. Had he not, the whole upper South was still in the Union, and it is likely that Unionist sentiment would have grown had the South seen that no, the sky wasn't falling just because Lincoln had taken office. There was tremendous Unionist feeling in Virginia, with its home base of course in what would become West Virginia, and it was only when the fighting started that Virginia seceded. Personally, I feel that secession was a bad idea and I sympathize with the Southern unionists, but had I been in the north I would have been a copperhead, pro-peace advocate for sure.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
A belated Happy General Lee day to all!

Not so belated after all, brother. I was mistaken. Monday was Coon Day, the privately owned (all profits go to the King family) so-called holiday in honor of the degenerate (he spent his last night on Earth beating up two prostitutes he had hired) communist, Michael King, alias "The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.", whose speeches were written for him by Stanley Levison of the communist National Lawyers Guild, so it really should be called Stanley Levison Day anyway.

Tomorrow, the 19th, is actually General Robert E. Lee Day - or, as a brilliant friend of mine deems it, Poets and Patriots Day, in honor of General Lee and the great Edgar Allen Poe.

Dixie with Rebel Yell. Music from: The Confederacy (National Gallery Orchestra)1954:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsZFujiEt0

The South fought for freedom and the iron heel crushed it. Long live those who strive for freedom and fight against tyranny!

ww

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yes Happy Birthday to a truly great American Robert E. Lee. Maybe the next time a conflict of this nature arises we can stand shoulder to shoulder with our southern brothers.

As a bit of a Civil War buff I would like to add some corrections to the above posts. Marse Robert would have referred to First Bull Run as "First Manasses" as it was know to the Confererates, also he was not at that battle, he was a paper shuffler early in the War. And the Southern forces could not have gone in to Washington after that battle, they were as disorganized as the Union forces and "won" the battle only by not having to leave the field in a panic, as did the Union troops. The panicked retreat, including thousands of spectators, crowded the roads to Washington for days.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the correction about Manasses/Bull Run etc.

"Maybe the next time a conflict of this nature arises we can stand shoulder to shoulder with our southern brothers."

Oh, they won't. They've got them very well trained now. The "lords and masters" tell them who they need to hate and kill, and it changes each season.

CONFEDERATE SONG ~ THE IRISH BRIGADE

" This song is for the Confederate Irish Brigade headed by Joseph Kelly, NOT Patrick Kelly of the Union Irish Brigade. Joseph Kelly was an Irish immigrant and grocer in St. Louis, MO, before he joined the Confederate army. Cheers."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ot7amDyqbY&feature=related

"Didn't those cowardly Lincolnites tremble when they met with the Irish brigade..."

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Happy Poet & Patriots Day!

The 19th, time for a celebration of real heroes like Robert E. Lee and Edgar Poe.

ww

Hawkeye2

Mentor
The best thing we could have done for ourselves is to not bring in slaves in the first place.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The best thing we could have done for ourselves is to not bring in slaves in the first place.
Exactly! We've been paying for that mistake ever since (complete) abolition.

Tom Iron

Mentor
A bit off subject, but I just sent a letter to the editor of our local Catholic diocese "news"paper in celebration of black history month speaking about the multicultural (black and indian owneship of black slaves) aspect of slaveowning prior to the civil war. The paper comes out every two weeks, so the next issue will be in Feb. I'll let you know if they print it.

Tom Iron...