Tight End Position

foobar75

Master
I don't think it's my imagination. This year there's been an absolute explosion in the white TE ranks in the NFL. For quite a few teams, their starting TE is white, and even better, it seems that a lot of teams carry 2, 3 white TEs on their rosters. I keep watching these games week after week, often times seeing 2 white TE during certain plays, all of them making big plays, catching TDs, doing it all.

It's quite uplifting to see that. Maybe the breakdown of the caste system will happen position by position. Here's hoping that the next inroads are made in the WR spot and perhaps somewhere in defense.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We've discussed this positive development quite a bit, including in the Week 9 thread. Here's a thread on white tight ends that's almost as old as the board and has been updated periodically: [url]http://www.castefootball.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114&am p;am p;PN=2[/url]

Quarterback and tight end are the positions where white players have held their ground and even made advances in the NFL in recent years. QB is more important of course, but it looks like we're in the beginning stages of a white domination of tight end that could last for a while, and one would have to go back many years to find the last time such was the case, probably to the mid-60s or earlier, andmost likelynever with as many stars and potential stars as there are now.

A lot of these guys are beefed up wide receivers. The possibility is there of substantial progress in the NFL at WR. There's a noticeable increase in the number of white WRs in I-A programs, roughly a quarter of the starters this year. It will be very difficult for the NFL to keep the number of white receivers suppressed at the current level of about 5%, especially considering how undeniably talented so many of the white collegians are. Add to that the problems so many blacks have with basic hand-eye coordination, i.e., they drop so many simple catches. Blacks' bad hands should be a national joke because the stereotype holds true a lot more than whites supposedly lacking speed and jumps.

I believe wide receiver in the NFL should be in the area of 75 to 80 percent white. The emergence of white tight ends is helping to dispel the speed myth somewhat -- if there are a bunch of white tight ends who are as fast or faster than black tight ends, then it only makes sense that the same holds true at WR and every other position. Edited by: Don Wassall

Freedom

Mentor
Tight End requires blocking as well as pass catching. Ends are also expected to have great hands. These things naturally favor whites.

I think Jeremy Shockey broke the caste system at that position his rookie year in a pre-season game. Madden said he reminded him of Mark Bavaro. If I remember correctly, he played in the 2001 Nat. Champ against Nebraska in a game where the announcers unofficially declared the Caste System when they said, "Miami likes to recruit speedy athletes more than Nebraska so they'll win more," or something like it. So he lowered his shoulder right through the system and broke it for other TEs.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Freedom makes a good point. versatility (the ability to be good at a lot of different things) is something that white athletes seem to all have in abundance.

in fact, i think this talent has hurt many of the white athletes we discuss.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Freedom makes a good point. versatility (the ability to be good at a lot of different things) is something that white athletes seem to all have in abundance.

in fact, i think this talent has hurt many of the white athletes we discuss.

No question that their versatility and unselfishness is often used against white football players. Todd Heap is a good example when it comes to tight ends. He's a great receiver but is doing nothing but blocking this season.

Mark Bruener came out of Washington as a dominant pass-catching tight end, but unfortunately for him was drafted by the Steelers, who regard TEsprimarily as blockers for the running game. Bruener promptly became the NFL's premier blocking tight end and isstill at it, in his 14th season, for the Texans.

Heath Miller could put up huge receiving numbers, and while he is utilized more in the passing game than Bruener was, he's not going to get thatopportunity in Pittsburgh.

G

Let's see...

John Mackey

Ozzie Newsome

Charley Young

Raymond Chester

Antonio Gates

Shannon Sharpe

not bad!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Black Ace said:
Let's see...

John Mackey

Ozzie Newsome

Charley Young

Raymond Chester

Antonio Gates

Shannon Sharpe

not bad!

All ancient history. The black guysat TEnow mosty SUCK.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
A quick study of hype vs. reality:

These are the TE's drafted in the 1st round going back to 2003 and a few notable guys drafted in later rounds.

2003: Dallas Clark - Colts (24) Great player worthy of first round status.

After scrubs Bennie Joppru, L.J. Smith & Teyo Johnson were selected in later rounds the gem of the draft: Jason Witten - Cowboys (69)

2004: Kellen Winslow - Browns (6) Great talent who was injury prone, then found success and now is a headache for the coaching staff this season

Benjamin Watson - Patriots (32) Hardly worthy of a first rounder

The gem of the draft: Chris Cooley - Redskins (81)

2005: Heath Miller - Steelers (30) Pro-bowl caliber player, somewhat under used in Pittsburgh.

2006: Vernon Davis - 49ers (6) Athletic "freak" has yet to put up anything close to a respectable season. Picked that high he must go down as a huge bust

Mercedes Lewis - Jaguars (28) Good blocker but for a first round pick no production as a receiver. Dud

Smarter picks: Anthony Fasano - Cowboys (53)
Tony Scheffler - Broncos (61)

Draft gem: Owen Daniels - Texans (98) Emerging as one of the elite receiving tight ends. Great pick.

2007: Greg Olsen - Bears (31) Tremendous athlete. When given looks and playing time, shows flashes of greatness. Should be a great for years.

2008: Dustin Keller - Jets (30) Probably a stretch for the 1st round. Too early to tell but already getting out produced by fellow rookie John Carlson (Seahawks, 38)

Notice how white tight ends, no matter how good, never get picked before the late first round. The few black tight ends who get drafted are hyped and get picked much higher than they deserve.

Ibanez

Lemme tell you something: that Owne Daniels is silly good. He is in my opinion the best tight end in the league. Or maybe I'm just a crazy fan.

I think he will get 100 catches and 1000 yards, but even if he does not, that is fine because those two stats are not really a good indicator of elite status for a position that requries heavy amounts of blocking at the LINE plus extensive downfield blocking.

He had his big game against my pathetic Lions and he was entertaining.

But don't discount those tight ends who are primarily blockers! They go unappreciated.

Edit:

Check out this video profile on Owen Daniels!

Owen Daniels video ProfileEdited by: Ibanez