Thoughts on Gas Prices

Menelik

Mentor
Well here in Middle GA gas prices are slowly going back down. I came across this article and was ready to blame the auto maker until I came across this sentence:

"We just don't think North and South America would buy that many diesel cars," Fields says.

I tend to agree with that statement. Until we end our love affair with low mileage SUVs high gas prices are always going to be with us.

Would you buy one?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I believe a lot of people would buy them, despite burning diesel. The new car market is changing in the U.S. It is slow, but changing. Here in Utah, I see and hear more diesels than anywhere in the U.S. at any time. Only in SE Asia were there more. Ford should introduce it here, but the decision makers at Fordare boneheads, as shown by their actions over the last decade or so.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
What's the net gain with diesel cars?

Menelik

Mentor
jaxvid said:

Not quite sure what you mean. I think that diesel is more plentiful/easier to refine from oil then regular gas. I also think that diesel vehicles may get better gas mileage then gas cars. Just guessing about that though.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Menelik said:
jaxvid said:

Not quite sure what you mean. I think that diesel is more plentiful/easier to refine from oil then regular gas. I also think that diesel vehicles may get better gas mileage then gas cars. Just guessing about that though.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. Do diesel cars get better gas milage? It seems like they wouldn't since diesel fuel is not as refined, and also if it is less refined then why does it cost more now? I thought the only attraction of diesel cars was that the fuel was cheaper.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
In North GA, stations are drying up (using Hurricane Ike as their d-amn crutch). There were lines today in North Metro Atlanta & a ton of stations tapped out (I saw on the way home from work). These vermin are using Ike as a "valid" reason for suppressing the supply to jack up prices. I don't buy this as being legit.
smiley7.gif

GWTJ

Mentor
Well, my friend was right. A month ago he predicted that gas prices would fall to $2.50 a gallon by election day. Here in NJ, gas can now be bought for under $2.50 a gallon at some stations. It will probably take most states a little longer to get down to $2.50. But we still have ten days until the election.

Any other states hit the magic $2.50 mark yet?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Does anybody remember what the price of gas was before W made his Lawrence of Arabia remake against Saddam?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The last time I bought gas for under $1 a gallon was in early 2002. Right now, here out west it is just going under $3 for the first time in close to a year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The lowest I saw this morning was $2.77.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Best way to keep gas prices low is to hold elections every six months.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the only reason gas prices are falling is because of the elcetions, as had been said already. the folks who control prices make sure of this.

here in Arkansas there is a divergent cost for gasoline. in the northwest part of the state you can get gas for as much as 40 cents cheaper a gallon than farther south. here in central Arkansas, i've recently seen it as low as $2.14.