The University of Mississippi Traditions

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Col Reb should get a kick out of this item at SBPDL "Stuff Black People Don't Like" a hilarious site that often mentions football on it.

The University of Mississippi Traditions

Before we move forward, it is important to remember the ultimate tool that was used to integrate Black people into the United States is sports. Were it not for college football, Black people would have few outlets for chances of impressing the public in America, as the only time they would appear on television would be in nightly newscasts.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Good stuff JaxVid...that's a funny (yet accurate site). I tried to post a comment on there, but not sure if they'll post it. I've always heard the Grove was top notch tailgating, with many'a Southern Belles. I hope they retain their (remaining) Olde South heritage!

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That article is factually incorrect and outdated in many places and the author's lack of knowledge is laughable. New Miss has very little "tradition" left. Yeah they have the grove and tailgaiting (bottom of the cooler nipping) and it hasn't been real tailgating since the early 90s which is when cars were banned from the grove.

Colonel Reb hasn't been the mascot since May 2003. New Miss is not trying to get a new mascot because the joke of an
election they held back then was boycotted by the students, who wanted Colonel Reb back. They have been
mascotless since 2003 and they get made fun of about it all the time,
and rightly so. That's the year I made the complete break from the
school. It had been building since 1998, but getting rid of Colonel Reb
was what drove me over the edge. He was loved by all the fans, and
especially the kids.

The band barely plays the real Dixie any more, instead a pathetic PC medley they call "From Dixie With Love" that includes the blasphemous and rabidly anti-South "Battle Hymn of the Republic." As for the Confederate soldier statue on campus, those are everywhere in the Deep South, and pretty much the whole student body of Ole Miss fought and died for the South during The War. If they were to get rid of it, they'd just as well change their name to the New Miss Chickens.

There is a huge frat and sorority system at UM that perpetuate a lot of class distinctions to this day, and they are notorious for their drunken orgies, as they were the top party school in America for a few years. About the only cool thing that goes along with that is the tradition of dressing up for games.

Mississippi isn't 80% white and never has been since it was a state. The writer must know nothing of the state. Mississippi is barely 2/3 white. It has the highest percentage of blacks by population in the country. The school is well over 15% black now. It was 15% when I was there back in 2000. Tommy Tub-o-lies and former chancellor Robert Khayat banned people from bringing sticks into the stadium in the middle of the 1997 football season, to keep people from waving the Confederate battle flag.

Now they have created an abrupt ending to the song, From Dixie With Love just to keep people from saying "The South Will Rise Again" at the end of it. The first video clip on that page shows the band playing From Dixie With Love. Such is the ignorance of most New Miss team (DWF) fans that they don't realize the cultural genocide that has taken place at UM over the last 25 years. They actually think that is "Dixie" and its not. New Miss makes me sick!
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the corrections Col! You might want to comment on that thread on the site. Some other stuff that's there is okay. It might do good to set the record straight.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No problem, jaxvid. I took your advice and posted the corrections. We'll see if they allow them on the website. I used to do stuff like this all the time before I came to CF. If someone wrote or posted something other than the facts about the South online between 2003-2005, I was usually one who would quickly set things straight.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<div>

More New Miss insanityhttp://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091104/OPINION01/911040332/1008/OPINION/Ole-Miss---New--South-rose-long-ago

University of Mississippi fans who feel led to perpetuate the
Reconstruction-era notion that the South somehow needs to "rise again"
badly miss the point.

The South has long since risen and moved on - and Ole Miss is an integral part of that journey.

Ole
Miss football fans who refuse to stop chanting "the South will rise
again" are on the verge of losing one of their favorite fight songs,
the school's chancellor said Monday. Ole Miss Chancellor Dan Jones said
From Dixie With Love will no longer be played at games if fans continue
the chant. Last month, Jones asked the band to abruptly end the tune to
discourage the chant, but he says that didn't solve the problem.

Jones
said fan reaction at Saturday's game against Northern Arizona would
decide the fate of the song, which blends the Confederate Army's fight
song, Dixie, with the Union Army's Battle Hymn of the Republic.

"The
University of Mississippi is a warm and welcoming place. So many have
worked hard to make sure our image moves forward, and we don't want
anything to hurt that," Jones said. "If the chant continues, we will
discontinue the music that's associated with it."

"The chant 'the
South will rise again' reflects negatively not only on the university
but also on the progress we have made in athletics over the past two
decades," Ole Miss Athletic Director Pete Boone said in a recent
statement. "We join the super majority of the Ole Miss family in
calling for discontinuing the chant."

The 2008 presidential
debate held on the Ole Miss campus put the eyes and ears of an
estimated 806.6 million people on a total of 11,409 print, online and
broadcast news stories with an estimated "publicity" value of $34.5
million, according to the international media monitoring service
Cision. But the value of the debate to Ole Miss and to the entire state
of Mississippi was far greater.

"The debate was a spectacular
achievement and showed Ole Miss to be what it truly is: a great
American public university," said Gov. Haley Barbour last year. "For
us, the legacy of this debate lives in the overwhelmingly positive
worldwide attention that will help replace old stereotypes with a
refreshing new impression of Mississippi as a place where progress -
economic, educational, cultural, racial - is demonstrably real."

For
many in the national and international media, the image synonymous with
this state and Oxford was of the bloody 1962 riots that accompanied the
enrollment of James Meredith as the first African-American student at
Ole Miss and the two deaths that ensued from those riots.

This
inane chant now threatens to devalue the gains Ole Miss made for the
image of the university and for the state, where the true rise of the
South isn't in doubt.
</div>
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

The only value of these insane and hypersensitive rules that the PC establishment sets up is that it's extremely easy to rile them up. I recall a few years back someone had a Confederate battle flag flying behind the commentators on College Game Day on ESPN. The production crew was doing everything to avoid the shot, but apparently someone was watching on TV and letting him know where to place the flag, and it kept reentering the shots! I'm sure ESPN was fuming, but there was nothing they could do because it was a public campus and there's the pesky thing called the First Amendment! I don't know why more people don't do this.

I just thought this, maybe Ole Miss should change their nickname to the Conformists instead of the Rebels because everything the president and admin of Ole Miss is advocating is relentless conformity for a team call the freakin Rebels? Do they even know what a rebel is???

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great point, Electric. I don't think anyone in the administration of that school has known about or cared about what a rebel is since about 1980. They really should get rid of the nickname "Ole Miss" and the team name "Rebels." That they still use them is an insult to both terms.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The "New Miss Conformists"....sad, but true.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, the students kept chanting "The South Will Rise Again" even without any accompaniment, so the chancellor has asked the band director to no longer play the PC "From Dixie With Love."

http://olemisslife.com/content/breaking-chancellor-asks-band-stop-playing-dixie-love

<div id="-er">

<h1 ="title">BREAKING: Chancellor asks band to stop playing 'From Dixie with Love'</h1>

</div>

<div ="field field--text field-field-byline">
<div ="field-items">
<div ="field-item odd">
Alex McDaniel | Editor-in-Chief </div>
</div>
</div>
<div ="field field--field field-field-photo">
<div ="field-items">
<div ="field-item odd">
</div>
</div>
</div>

Chancellor Dan Jones has asked the Ole Miss Band to stop playing
"From Dixie with Love" as a result of the Ole Miss student body
continuing to chant "the South will rise again" at football games.

In a letter addressed to the Ole Miss community, Jones said while he
is heartened by the unified stance of university leaders as well as the
support of many throughout the Oxford/Ole Miss community, he is
following through with his initial course of action by asking the band
to stop playing the piece altogether.

"Here at the University of Mississippi, there must be no doubt that
this is a warm and welcoming place for all," Jones said. "We cannot
even appear to support those outside our community who advocate a
revival of segregation. We cannot fail to respond."

Jones released a letter to the university community Nov. 2 that said
if students did not stop chanting "the South will rise again," he would
ask the band to stop playing the song because of its role as a
"trigger" for the chant.

"Consequently, I have asked the band not to play 'From Dixie with
Love' at upcoming athletics events," Jones said. "The absence of this
song will send a clear message that the university is neither
facilitating nor indirectly condoning the chant."

"From Dixie with Love" is one of the band's most recognizable pieces
and is routinely played during the band's pregame show and at the
conclusion of every Ole Miss football game.

The band will have the remainder of the week to learn new music and
a new marching routine for the pregame show before the Ole Miss vs.
Tennessee game Saturday.

However, Jones said this is not necessarily a permanent change. If
the chant stops and the university's elected leaders ask for the return
of the song, he said he will consider the request.

"But for now, those who continue the chant leave me no choice but to
ask the band to stop playing 'From Dixie with Love,'" Jones said.

The effort to eliminate the chant began in Sept. 2009 when the
Associated Student Body passed a resolution asking students to stop
using the phrase at football games.

In the following weeks, the movement gained support from many
members of the university community including the administration, the
Faculty Senate, Ole Miss athletics coaches and alumni.

Click here to read Chancellor Jones' letter to the university community.

Here's that letter:

To the Ole Miss Community:

For several weeks, the Ole Miss community has been discussing the
chant "the South will rise again," which has been sparked at athletics
events by the playing of the medley "From Dixie with Love." The
initiative to stop this chant began with forward-thinking student
leaders. They have been joined by our Faculty Senate, athletics
leaders, alumni leaders, university staff and many others.

I am heartened by the unified stance of our leaders and the support
we have received from a broad range of individuals and groups in our
community. To those who have called on others to desist from the chant
and to those who have responded by stopping, please accept our
appreciation.

Yet some have chosen to continue the chant. Sadly, we have also
heard from a few outside our university who support the chant as an
expression of values associated with a segregationist movement
discredited so many years ago.

Let me be clear, all the leaders of this vibrant, diverse, modern
university long ago denounced any association with those who espouse
segregation. Here at the University of Mississippi, there must be no
doubt that this is a warm and welcoming place for all. We cannot even
appear to support those outside our community who advocate a revival of
segregation. We cannot fail to respond.

In my letter last week, I outlined a course of action if the chant
continued. Consequently, I have asked the band not to play "From Dixie
with Love" at upcoming athletics events. The absence of this song will
send a clear message that the university is neither facilitating nor
indirectly condoning the chant.

Some may fear this is the first step toward changing other
traditions. It is not. We will remain the Ole Miss Rebels. Also, some
have asked if this is a permanent change. If the chant stops and our
elected student leaders ask for the song to return, I will consider
their request. But for now, those who continue the chant leave me no
choice but to ask the band to stop playing "From Dixie with Love."

I am proud and happy to be a part of the University of Mississippi.
We are a great public university with strong academic programs,
competitive athletics programs and great traditions. These traditions
include the values reflected in the Ole Miss Creed: dedication to an
open and diverse community, respect for the dignity of each person, and
fairness and civility.

Sincerely,

Daniel W. Jones, M.D.

Chancellor

The problem here is that the UM chancellor (at the time) said the 1983 distancing from the Confederate battle flag wouldn't change any other traditions. Then, a later chancellor said the 1997 stick ban wouldn't affect other traditions. Then in 2003, when they got rid of Colonel Reb, the same chancellor said it wouldn't affect the traditions of the school. Now the chancellor says we won't change any other traditions, the only one he can name being "Ole Miss Rebels." He can only name this tradition, which isn't really a tradition, because there is no tradition left at UM. Simply pathetic!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Jones is another neutered, cultural Marxist "intellectual" trying to eliminate any connections to the Olde South.

This is a proposed initiative, for the 2016 Mississippi ballot, to have Colonel Reb returned as Ole Miss' official mascot: http://magnoliaheritage.com/46.html

Strategically, I wish the initiative creators would run the initiative solely as a referendum on the Colonel, because all the other included heritage issues may undermine it's success: which could be proposed later, in separate initiatives. I think the more issues they add-on, the more there is to reject (?) The Colonel proposal is section VI.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That initiative is a huge wish list for those who created it. I think it is way too far-reaching to pass, and imo, some of the provisions border on being ridiculous. Others, however, are very good. Having met two of the people who are behind it, I'm not surprised that this is the finished product. I hope it passes for the sake of the good provisions, but I have my doubts.

In the meantime, this is where the Newniversity is heading.

http://news.olemiss.edu/um-announce...-issues-of-race-and-diversity-2/#.VGd5R40tDcs

OXFORD, Miss. – University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones has released a comprehensive action plan for fostering a more inclusive and welcoming environment on campus.

The recommendations are the fruit of a study of wide-ranging opinions on campus culture from students, faculty and administrators, which were paired with input from respected consultants. The plan includes a new position of vice chancellor for diversity and a variety of initiatives focused on inclusion and race relations.

Last summer, an expanded Sensitivity and Respect Committee completed its review of the university’s environment on race and diversity. After the committee’s report, consultants Ed Ayers and Christy Coleman of Richmond, Virginia, were brought in to study the effect on campus culture of building names and campus symbols tied to historical issues of slavery and segregation. Consultant Greg Vincent, who led the University of Texas in addressing issues of diversity and inclusion, was hired to analyze the university’s organizational structure and how it relates to diversity and inclusion.

The consultants submitted reports on their interviews with members of the campus community, as well as recommendations based on their experiences with similar issues. Jones complimented the work of the university community and consultants in generating the ideas included in the action plan.

“The reports from everyone involved were candid and thoughtful in suggesting that more can be done here to improve our environment for diversity and inclusion,†Jones said.

“It is my hope that the steps outlined here – reflecting the hard work of university committees and our consultants – will prove valuable in making us a stronger and healthier university, bringing us closer to our goal of being a warm and welcoming place for every person every day, regardless of race, religious preference, country of origin, ability, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or gender expression.â€

Jones said he knows that some people will find parts of the recommendations that they like and some they don’t. “Every idea was not included, but I’m confident everyone involved will find evidence of their substantial contributions.

“There were and will continue to be differences of opinion among us. But, I am encouraged that while our discussions over recent months were frank, even tough, they also were civil and respectful. My very sincere thanks go out to all of those who demonstrated these values throughout the process.â€

The process was designed to gather as broad a range of opinion as possible, the chancellor said.

“It was important that we hear from everyone who loves this university,†he said. “Too often when viewpoints are wide-ranging, nuanced and emotional, the easy answer for leaders is a non-decision, freezing people at a point in time and putting progress off to another day. To me, that is not leadership. And our mission as a university is to lead.â€

The plan involves six steps, with more initiatives expected when the new vice chancellor position is filled:

1. Create a vice chancellor-level position for diversity and inclusion. UM’s provost will create a specific position title, portfolio, set of responsibilities and initial budget for a new administrative position. The job will be created after consultation with faculty and will be subject to approval by the university’s governing board. A search committee will be formed to begin work during the fall semester.

2. Establish a portfolio model of diversity and engagement. As part of the creation of the job description for the new vice chancellor position, a set of standards for diversity and engagement will be drafted for the university to follow moving forward.

3. Deal squarely with the issue of race while also addressing other dimensions of diversity.

“We look forward to a day when it is the norm to embrace and celebrate our differences, when our country and state have become a truly post-racial society,†Jones said. “But that day has not yet arrived. Clearly, there are still issues regarding race that our country must address. And we will need to continue a dialogue on race at our university. Our unique history regarding race provides not only a larger responsibility for providing leadership on race issues, but also a large opportunity – one we should and will embrace.â€

A faculty group focused on UM’s history with slavery began work last year. The initiative is an example of the kind of scholarly leadership UM can provide on the issue, Jones said, voicing renewed commitment to the work of the university’s William Winter Institute for Racial Reconciliation. He also said the new vice chancellor for diversity will be engaged in efforts to address issues of race and diversity and will work with existing campus organizations, such as the Critical Race Studies Group, that have focused on these issues.

4. Implement a symbolic and formal dedication of all new students to the ideals of inclusion and fairness to which UM is devoted.

The UM Creed was adopted as a means of communicating and cultivating the university’s core values. A public university can’t require a pledge or oath as a condition of enrollment. It can and will work with students and others to pursue methods of elevating and strengthening the UM community with the creed’s values. The university’s vice chancellor for student affairs will implement this recommendation.

5. Offer more history, putting the past into context, telling more of the story of Mississippi’s struggles with slavery, secession, segregation and their aftermath.

Consultants cited Richmond, one of capitals of the Confederacy, as a good example of appropriately addressing a negative history. City leaders opted not to erase history, even some of the more difficult parts of it, and chose not to remove existing statues and building names. Instead, the city has balanced its presentation of history by offering broader, contemporary context for symbols and adding new symbols more representative of the city’s current culture.

An example of that approach already implemented at UM is the statue honoring James Meredith, the university’s first African-American student. Additional opportunities with more contemporary symbols lie ahead, and the new vice chancellor will be engaged in long-term evaluation of those recommendations. Until the new vice chancellor is hired, that job will be handled by the provost and the assistant to the chancellor for multicultural affairs.

Among buildings and symbols that will be evaluated for plaques adding context and perspective are Vardaman Hall, the ballroom in Johnson Commons and the Confederate statue at the entrance to Lyceum Circle.

Several steps have been taken already:

– The entrance of the Manning Center was recently designated the Williams-Reed Foyer in honor of Ben Williams and James Reed, the university’s first two black football players. Jones thanked Athletics Director Ross Bjork and head football coach Hugh Freeze for their leadership in the recommendation.

– The new Center for Inclusion and Cross Cultural Engagement opens this fall in Stewart Hall. The center, which will move later to the renovated and expanded Student Union, enhances the quantity and quality of programming and leadership initiatives for underrepresented students.

– Coliseum Drive will need a new name when the Tad Smith Coliseum is replaced with the new basketball arena. A recommendation from the UM Alumni Association and the M-Club to rename it “Roy Lee ‘Chucky’ Mullins Drive†has been adopted. Mullins, a black football player who was paralyzed and later died, became a unifying symbol of an indomitable human spirit at the university.

– Confederate Drive, which enters Fraternity Row, will be renamed “Chapel Lane.â€

6. Appropriate use of the name “Ole Miss.†UM’s longstanding nickname is beloved by the vast majority of its students and alumni. But a few, especially some university faculty, are uncomfortable with it. Some don’t want it used at all and some simply don’t want it used within the academic context.

The university completed a national study about the name “Ole Miss†during the last year and found the vast majority of respondents don’t attach any meaning to it other than an affectionate name for the university. In fact, a significant margin likes and prefers the “Ole Miss†name. And a very small percentage of respondents associate the university, either as “Ole Miss†or “University of Mississippi,†with negative race issues.

Both names will be used in appropriate contexts going forward, with particular emphasis going to “Ole Miss†in athletics and as a representation of the university’s spirit.

Other campus efforts already in place will continue to grow

The action plan includes a wide variety of other initiatives launched even as the study of campus environment was underway, including creation of the Bias Incident Response Team, diversity training for employees, construction of a National Pan-Hellenic Council garden representing the history and campus engagement of historically black fraternities and sororities, periodic surveys to monitor the campus environment, and various programs to enhance student success.

People advocating in defense of the Mississippi state flag design.. since there are universities in MS (including New Miss) who are now abandoning basic protocol of flying their (voter approved) state flag.

https://www.facebook.com/msflag/

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Not only the higher-cultural Marxist indoctrination centers, but a number of municipalities around the state have pulled down the lawful 1896 flag. How shameful it is to see this. I think the opposition knows they still can't win a vote against it, so they use apathy and/or legal loopholes to pull it down.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Mississippi needs a revived sovereignty committee to fight this socialist sedition. During the height of the "sov-com" there will still a slew of real men in the Magnolia State. These days, there's far too little. :-(

Last edited: