The Strange Case of Stryker Sulak

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
(Note: I'm not copying the J.B. Cash article title about White RBs. Because this athletes first and last name begins with an "S" -- this title sounds very good.)

We have talked about capable White receivers' being cut over-and-over-and-over again, so this could be a thread about White DL/LBs that appear to be getting shafted.

At the University of Missouri, in 2008, Sulak played 14 games and made 55 tackles (29 solo) with 15.5 for losses. He also had 10.5 sacks, forced six fumbles (to bring his career total to 14) and broke up six passes. He was Second-team All-Big 12 and played in the 2009 East-West Shrine Game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stryker_Sulak

Sounds like he has some ability? He also had fine combine numbers, very fine. The shortest I have seen him listed is 6-foot-4, so I DON'T understand teams' trying to convert him into a Linebacker.

If Elvis Dumervil, and others, can "play" DE -- why can't Mr. Sulak do so as well? 6-4 and 255, for instance, is good size for a pass-rushing end. He looks like a good-sized, healthy young man in his Mizzou pic (and he should be even more matured now):

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sulak_stryker00.html

What the hell is going on here? Naturally, he should have been drafted much higher as well. Where would we be if Jared Allen was screwed? Or Aaron Kampman? What if Stryker could provide some of the abilities that those other 2 "low picks" have shown? Shouldn't he get an opportunity?

backrow

Hall of Famer
i can't believe Raiders didn't want him... i understand Packers being stacked at LB/DE but Raidahs??

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Those Mizzou teams -- with Chase Daniel, Coffman, Sulak and a few other Whites -- were certainly memorable. What has happened to these athletes since, though?

When I found out that Coffman was selected by Cinci, I had a bad feeling because Marvin Lewis is a punk and I thought of their stupid selection of sumo Andre Smiff. He won the Mackey Award, put up big numbers throughout his college career, and then "falls" to Cinci...?? I just knew that this wasn't good. The "he can't block - so he can't play" -- was so darn predictable.

And, don't tell me that Sulak, who measured in at 6-5 and 251 at the Combine, can't potentially add 10-15 pounds and play DE in the NFL. I imagine it wouldn't take Sulak very long to surpass the "great Marcus Spears" 8 career sacks...

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Another strange twist is that before he went to Green Bay, after he was released by the Raiders, the Chiefs picked him up. However, it's tough for white guys to stick in Pendergast's defenses, as he's the guy who helped engineer the Cardinals' wall of blackness. Instead, the Chiefs stuck with their first round draft choices at DE, Tyson Jackson, who is nothing special so far, and Glenn Dorsey, who, so far, has been another monumental bust.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
FootballDad said:
Another strange twist is that before he went to Green Bay, after he was released by the Raiders, the Chiefs picked him up. However, it's tough for white guys to stick in Pendergast's defenses, as he's the guy who helped engineer the Cardinals' wall of blackness. Instead, the Chiefs stuck with their first round draft choices at DE, Tyson Jackson, who is nothing special so far, and Glenn Dorsey, who, so far, has been another monumental bust.

Back to back first rounders who have been busts. But the crappy black linemen keep getting drafted in the first few rounds year after year while the DWFs still chortle about Brian Bosworth, Ryan Leafand Mike Mamula.

I just checked the Chiefs' first round picksover the past decadeand it's a sorry compilation indeed. Jackson was taken in '09, Dorsey in '08. G Brandon Albert was also taken in '08 and he's been a disappointment to this point. '07 choice WR Dwayne Bowe has some talent but is also an overweight prima donna with hands of stone who lacks toughness.

'06 choice Tamba Hali, another DE, is certainly nothing special. LB Derrick Johnson, the first round pick in '05, hasn't lived up to his hype, which he received despite being slow.

No first round pick in '04. '03 choice Larry Johnson had a few good years before prematurely losing it, and he was another prima donna with repeated brushes with the law.

Ryan Sims, a DT picked in '02, was a bust. The Chiefs had no first round pick in '01. In '00 they took WR Sylvester Morris. Who???

A decade of all black first round picks, a decade of disappointments and outright busts, several of the monumental variety.

TwentyTwo

Master
TwentyTwo said:
I envision Sulak in a 4-3 defense...I'd like to see him sign with the Vikes!

Yeah there as been such a stock-pile of bruvas on the D-Line...but it's easy for the dwf's to overlook...though some are starting to understand more...

Steve Emtman seemed to have started it....but Courtney Brown & Jonathan Sullivan are some of the BIGGEST BUST ever!!Edited by: TwentyTwo