the NFL without the Caste System

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
I often grow frustrated when I see folks posting all-white teams that only include players that are currently in the NFL or in the NBA or whatever, because that seems to buy into the notion that the only white men good enough to be there are those who have managed to overcome the Caste System. That simply isn't true, in my opinion. And the facts appear to support this assertion.

I think it is obvious that large numbers of white athletes are never given a fair shot at playing pro ball because of their skin color, despite possessing comparable or superior talent than their black counterparts.

Don has said on numerous occasions that he thinks the NFL would be BY FAR majority white at the receiver position if it weren't for the Caste System, and I agree. so to that notion, I did a lot of research and compiled a list of phenomenal white wide receivers who we have been prevented from watching on the gridiron because of the racism that exists in the NFL toward white athletes. This list, while certainly not comprehensive, should provide an eye-opening amount of information with regards to the hordes of white talent that we, and football fans across the country, have been denied the pleasure of watching perform.

On my suggestion, the General Manager of the non-Caste NFL Players Union would be Steve Tasker. The assistant to the General Manager would be Patrick Jeffers.

Now then... I began my list with the Draft Class of 1993. Information is much harder to find for the older players and my knowledge of players from a decade and a half ago isn't remotely voluminous, so please forgive some of the numbers/names I couldn't/didn't locate. Or, if you can offer more info, I would appreciate that very much. For the measurables I provide, I confirmed them from multiple sources. They are as accurate as possible.

I hope you get as much out of this, as I did researching it.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Sean LaChapelle 6-3, 205; Draft class of 1993; UCLA; speed measurables?

Left UCLA as the Bruins all-time leading receiver, holding virtually every receiving record including yards in a season and a career, career receptions, and touchdowns in a season and a career.

Drafted in the fifth round (#122 overall) by the Los Angeles Rams and appeared in 10 games as a rookie, primarily on special teams and caught 2 passes for 23 yards.

Perhaps the best wide receiver in NFL Europe history (at that time called the World League of American Football), set a league record in 1996 with 1,023 yards in just 10 games for the Scottish Claymores (record was never broken). Remarkable total came on just 47 catches, and was second in the league in touchdown catches with 7.

Returned to Kansas City in 1996 following his NFLE success, appearing in 12 games, and caught 27 balls for 422 yards and 2 touchdowns before mysteriously disappearing from the NFL.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Justin Armour 6-4, 210 pounds; Draft class of 1995; Stanford; speed measurables?

Was originally recruited as a quarterback but moved from quarterback to receiver as a sophomore and exploded. As a sophomore, he caught 36 passes for (a team-leading) seven touchdowns and a 17.4 yards-per- catch average in his sophomore year (for 627 yards), and was named All-Pac 10. Had 154 receptions for 2,482 yards and 20 touchdowns in his career, all Cardinal records. Led the team in receiving as a junior (second team All-Pac 10) and senior (first team All-Pac 10). And was a consensus All-America. Had 67 receptions for 1,092 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior. Had 9 career 100-yard games while at Stanford, and still has the second best receiving performance all-time, with 11 catches for 220 yards and 1 touchdown against UCLA as a senior in 1994.

Drafted in the fourth-round pick (#113 overall) by the Buffalo Bills.

Inactive for the season opener, in only his third game, Armour was in the starting lineup as Buffalo's third receiver on Monday Night Football. Armour caught his first touchdown pass in the 22-19 win when he capped off Buffalo's opening drive with a 14-yard reception. He finished the campaign with three touchdowns and tied for fourth on the team with 26 receptions for 300 yards. He played in 15 games, starting 9.

The following season, Armour suffered a plantar fasciatis tear and was placed on Injured Reserve, missing the entire season. Wasn't fully recovered in the '97 training camp and was cut. After stops with Philadelphia (1 game in 97) and Denver (8 games in 98 with 1 catch for 23 yards), signed with the Baltimore Ravens in 1999 and appeared to have found a home. Played in 15 games, starting 7 and caught 37 balls for 538 yards and 4 touchdowns, including a game-winning 54-yard touchdown in overtime that lifted the Ravens over the Falcons, 19-13, in on Oct. 3...

Then was told he was no longer part of the Ravens' plans. No other NFL teams wanted him, either. At 26 years of age and completely healthy, he was cast aside.
"That broke my heart," he said in an interview years later. "Basically, I left the league after my best season, when I thought I was starting to peak. But those stories from former players are a dime a dozen." Armour turned 35 on New Year's Day and now lives in Mexico.

Though a continent away, he still has a bias for Baltimore. "In 1999, I was in every game plan, I contributed and we won four of our last five games," he said. "For me, it was the ideal team to be on." A Stanford graduate, Armour had been recruited to play at the university by Brian Billick, then an assistant coach. Likewise, it was Billick, as Ravens coach, who drummed Armour out of the game.

"Billick brought me into football, and he got me out of it," Armour said. "I still don't know whether to thank him or punch him."
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Keith Poole 6-0, 193 pounds; Draft class of 1997; Arizona State; speed measurables?

Awards received: 1st Team Pac-10 All-Conference Wide Receiver his junior and senior year; 2nd Team All American his senior year; and played in the Senior Bowl, Shrine All Star game and the 1997 Rose Bowl. Set an ASU record of 25 touchdown catches. Led the Sun Devils with 55 catches for 1036 yards and 7 touchdowns as a junior, and as a senior with 47 catches for 867 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Drafted in the fourth round (pick 116 overall) by New Orleans, where he was on the roster for 4 seasons (97-2000), catching 91 passes for 1,696 yards and 10 touchdowns. Played in just 3 games as a rookie (had 4 catches for 98 yards and 2 touchdowns). Caught 24 for 509 and 2 as a second-year pro. Truly emerged as a big-play threat in 99, catching 42 balls for 796 yards and 6 touchdowns. His final season there, he caught 21 passes for 293 yards and 1 TD. In '98, his season-long catch was an 82-yard touchdown. In '99, his season-long was a 67-yard touchdown. In '00, his season-long catch was a 49-yard touchdown. Signed in '01 by the Denver Broncos after being cut by the Saints. Played in just 6 games, catching 5 balls for 38 yards.

In 1999, his third year in the NFL, the New Orleans Saints rewarded him with a five-year, $7.25 million contract that included a $2 million signing bonus. He hit so many of his incentives his first year that his base salary jumped from $625,000 to $1.5 million.

Enter Jim Haslett.

Even though Poole was the Saints' 1999 leader in touchdown receptions (six) and yards per catch (19), the team brought in free agents in the off-season who pushed Poole down the depth chart. When this happened...

"The first thing (new coach Haslett) said to me was, 'We want you to take a pay cut. You're making too much for a No. 3 guy,' " Poole said. "I was the team's offensive MVP the year before. I'm thinking, 'I haven't even met you yet and this is what you're saying?'

Signed with Tampa Bay in 2002, but was cut before the season began and decided to call it a career.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Kevin Drake 6-1, 190 pounds; Draft class of 1998; Alabama-Birmingham; speed measurables?

A tremendous athlete, as a senior, moved from quarterback to wide receiver for the Blazers after setting school records as a rushing quarterback. In his first-ever year at wide receiver, led the Blazers in every receiving category with 38 catches for 823 yards and 7 touchdowns which earned him second-team all-conference honors. First player in team history to score touchdowns rushing, passing, and receiving.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Arizona Cardinals. Cut. Signed and was allocated to NFL Europe by the Cardinals and played for the Scottish Claymores in 1999, and in limited time caught 11 balls for 181 yards and 2 touchdowns. Cut again.

In 2000, returned to NFLE without a team affiliation and was named to the All-NFL Europe team after leading the league in touchdown catches with 12 en route to winning a League Championship with the Rhein Fire. Was second on the team (to fellow All-League performer Jeff Ogden) with 37 catches for 525 yards. Signed by the Buffalo Bills and impressed during camp but was cut. Signed to the practice squad and cut. Signed with the Denver Broncos practice squad in 2000 and was cut.

After impressing in the 2001 training camp and preseason was finally kicked out of the NFL for good by the Dallas Cowboys on September 10, 2001.

Jeff Ogden 6-0, 190 pounds; Draft class of 1998; Eastern Washington; speed measurables?

A former walk-on, left EWU as an All-American and record setter for the Eagles. As a senior, caught 64 passes for school records of 1,236 yards and 13 touchdowns en route to leading EWU to its best-ever season.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Dallas Cowboys in 1998. Appeared in all 32 games the next two seasons, primarily on special teams (and the occasional return man). In 2000 was allocated to NFL Europe to hone his receiving skills and was named to the All-NFL Europe team after leading his team (and third in the league) in catches (44) and yards (635) en route to winning a League Championship with the Rhein Fire. Was second on the team (to fellow All-League performer Kevin Drake) in touchdowns with 7.

As a reward, he was cut. Signed by the Miami Dolphins in time for the 2000 season, appeared in all 16 games primarily as a special teams player. Earning the punt return job, he returned 19 on the year for 323 yards, including a 81-yard touchdown. In 2001, again appeared in all 16 games and was the team's punt returner, returning 32 punts for 377 yards. Saw limited action as a wide receiver, but in limited opportunities had 6 catches for 73 yards and 1 touchdown. Was cut.

Last appeared in 3 games for the Baltimore Ravens in 2002, returning 2 punts for 21 yards before being inexplicably placed on the inactive list for the remainder of the season. Was cut from the NFL for the last time following the season.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Darrin Chiaverini 6-1, 212 pounds; Draft class of 1999; Colorado; ran a 4.53 40 at the Combine; also posted a time of 4.16 in the 20-yard shuttle; Vertical jump of 33 inches; broad jump of 9-4.

Had 97 receptions for 1,199 yards and six touchdowns at Colorado. Played in 42 games with 19 starts during four-year career. As a senior, caught 52 passes for 630 yards and five touchdowns...As a junior, finished second on the Buffaloes with 35 catches for 461 yards.

Drafted in fifth round (148th overall) in 1999 NFL Draft by Cleveland Browns. As a rookie, appeared in 16 games with eight starts and had 44 receptions for 487 yards and four touchdowns, ranking fifth among rookies in receptions and sixth in receiving yards and appeared to be an emerging star in the NFL. Strangely, in 2000 appeared in just 10 games primarily on special teams with two starts, and totaled just eight receptions for 68 yards and a touchdown. Was cut after the season. In 2001, appeared in 16 games for the Dallas Cowboys primarily on special teams, but shined when given an opportunity and recorded 10 receptions for 107 yards and two touchdowns. Was inexplicably cut. Played on special teams in seven contests with Atlanta Falcons in 2002 before once again being cut.

During his Arena career, all of which he spent with Austin, Chiaverini has hauled in 213 passes for 1,944 yards and 33 touchdowns. In 2004, signed in sixth week by Austin and played remaining 12 games...Had 60 catches for 676 yards and 15 touchdowns. In 2005, he ranked eighth in the league with a career-best 114 receptions for 951 yards and 18 touchdowns. In 2006, due to injuries appeared in just six games for Austin and made 39 grabs for 317 yards and two touchdowns. Out of football in 2007.

Sean Morey 5-11, 200 pounds; Draft class of 1999; Brown; speed measurables?

A two-time First-Team All-American, left Brown as the school-and-Ivy League's all-time leading receiver, with career records of 251 catches for 3,850 yards, and 39 touchdowns, and single-season records with 1,434 yards and 15 touchdowns. Caught 83 passes as a senior, which was second in the nation. Was the 1997 Ivy League Player of the Year, and is the first Brown athlete to ever has his number retired.

Drafted in the seventh round (#241 overall) by the New England Patriots. Cut and signed to their practice squad on September

In 2000, was allocated to NFL Europe by the Patriots and was second on his team in receiving yards (415) and touchdowns (3) on 37 catches. In 2001, returned to the Dragons this time as a cornerback, where he emerged as the team's top cover man. Returned to the Patriots only to be moved back to wide receiver and cut. Was out of football during the 2001 NFL season, but was signed and cut and signed again by the Philadelphia Eagles during the 2002 season and allocated again to NFL Europe in 2003, once again as a receiver. Led his team in catches (32) and touchdowns (7) and was second in receiving yards with 394.

Upon returning, made the Philadelphia active roster and appeared in all 16 games en route to being named special teams MVP. Signed by the Steelers on September 6, 2004, went on to lead the Steelers in special team tackles for three straight seasons (was special teams captain in '05 and '06).

Signed by the Arizona Cardinals in the offseason, appeared in 15 games and once again went on to shine as a special teams player. In limited opportunities at wide receiver put up impressive numbers, totaling 131 yards on 8 catches. Also had 1 kickoff return for 40 yards.

Travis McGriff 5-8, 185 pounds; Draft class of 1999; Florida; Ran a 4.53 40 at the Combine; also posted numbers of 4.13 in the 20-yard shuttle and 7.28 in the 3-cone drill; Vertical jump of 35.5 inches; broad jump of 9-5.

As a senior at UF in 1998, Travis was completely unstoppable. In 11 games, he compiled 70 catches (third all-time in Florida history) for 1357 yards (first all-time) and 10 touchdowns (seventh all-time), averaging nearly 20 yards per catch and over 120 yards per game. His 222 yards and 2 touchdowns on 13 catches against South Carolina is the second highest single-game total in UF history. Later that season, he caught 9 passes for 213 yards and 1 touchdown against Alabama, which ranks third all-time in a game. He is the only Gator receiver to have two games of over 200 yards receiving. Was named First Team All-SEC. In 11 games as a junior, caught 24-363-3. As a sophomore, caught 14-167, and as a freshman had 12-139-1.

Drafted in the third round (#93 overall) by the Denver Broncos. In three years with Denver, had 5 career catches, 88 yards (a very strong average) and 1 touchdown; also had 7 punt returns for 50 yards.

Out of football in 2002, McGriff signed on with the Orlando Predators of the Arena League, and in 2003, McGriff won AFL Rookie of the Year honors after posting 81 catches for 1216 yards and 25 TDs, and returning 66 kicks for 1042 yards and 1 touchdown. strangely, the NFL never called...

Placed on injured reserve just prior to the start of the 2004 season with a pulled hamstring, would miss the first six games of the campaign. Although he missed 11 games, McGriff still managed to grab 12 touchdown passes (2nd on team) and finished third on team in receiving (34-473), third in scoring (80) and second on team in all-purpose yards (977 yards). In 2005, He began the year in Orlando but ended it in Nashville, and in the midst of that caught 43 balls for 601 yards and 8 touchdowns and returning 32 kicks for 502 yards.

Most recently drafted to play with the Florida team in the All American Football League.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Drew Haddad 5-11, 185 pounds; Draft class of 2000; Buffalo; speed measurables?

One of the most electrifying players in Bulls' football history. Set school records as a senior with 85 receptions and 1,158 receiving yards, figures that ranked him first in the Mid-American Conference and earned him school male athlete of the year. Ranked eighth in the nation in receptions and fifth in receiving yards and is one of only 30 players in NCAA history to have over 200 receptions and 3,000 yards receiving in a career. Finished his collegiate career with a total of 12 school records, including most career receptions (240), receiving yards (3,409), 100-yard receiving games (18), all-purpose yards (4,768), punt-return yardage (735) and punt-return average (13.9).

Drafted in the seventh round (#233 overall) by the Buffalo Bills. After the Bills released him, the Colts were fast to pick him up in 2000. His most successful pre-season came with Indianapolis in 2001. Haddad caught 16 passes during those four games for 170 yards and one touchdown reception. But his most impressive performances were as a punt returner. Haddad returned 14 punts for a total of 292 yards, an average of nearly 21 yards per return. He also took back two of those for TDs, one for 84 yards, the other for 94. Went to NFL Europe in 2004, where he led the Frankfurt Galaxy with 28 catches for 455 yards, while snaring 1 touchdown. Also was second in the league in punt returns, with 176 yards on 16 attempts.

Most recently was cut on March 11, 2006 by the Chargers after bouncing back and forth between the practice squad and inactive-on-the-active roster.

Has appeared in two regular season games in the NFL with one catch for 11 yards.

Trevor Insley 6-0, 192 pounds; Draft class of 2000; Nevada; speed measurables?

Holds the NCAA Division I-A records for career receiving yards (5,005), most 200 yard receiving games (6), most 100 yard receiving games (26), and is ranked third in career receptions (298). Holds the single season records for receiving yards (2,060 as a senior) and yards per game (187.3 as a senior).

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent in 2000 with the Indianapolis Colts before being cut, and re-signed to their practice squad. Sent to NFL Europe in 2001, and dominated. Led his team with 61 catches (second in the league) and yards with 658 (third in the league) while adding 2 touchdowns.

After snagging 14 catches for 165 yards and one touchdown in limited playing time in '01 in the NFL, Insley went to NFLE again in 2002 where he was leading NFL Europe in both receptions and receiving yards after the first six weeks of the season before breaking his ankle. Still holds NFL Europe's record for longest punt return.

After the season, he broke his right ankle and tore the ligaments in it during a pre-season game for the Texans and was eventually cut on March 1, 2003. Insley never got another chance at the NFL and is now out of football.

Danny Farmer 6-3, 212 pounds; Draft class of 2000; UCLA; 4.48 40.

Is UCLA's career receiving yardage leader with 3,020 yards on 159 career catches. Averaged 19 yards per catch for his career, and had 20 catches over 40 yards or more. Farmer caught 29 passes for 573 yards and three touchdowns in his senior year with the Bruins, suffering with a first-year starter at quarterback and injuries. Was the first freshman ever to lead UCLA in receiving. As a redshirt freshman that season, he led the Bruins with 31 catches, including an eye-popping 88-yard touchdown grab against Tennessee in his first game. Entered the 1999 season as one of the most highly acclaimed wide receivers in the country and a leading candidate for the prestigious Biletnikoff award. In 1998, Farmer set a school record with 1,274 yards while making 58 receptions and earned first- team All-Pac-10 honors. His average of 22.0 yards per reception was the highest in the Pac-10 and one of the best in the nation.

Football should have been the key to Farmer's future, but his agility and spectacular vertical jump are also valuable attributes on the volleyball court, where he was a member of two NCAA championship volleyball teams (1996 & 1998). In the 1999 season, Farmer earned second-team All-MPSF honors. His .444 attack percentage ranked eleventh nationally and his .458 league hitting percentage ranked fourth in the MPSF. Farmer also set a career high by spiking 29 kills and blocking eight balls against Hawai'i last April.

Drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the fourth round of the 2000 NFL Draft (pick number 103 overall) and cut before the season began. Signed with the Cincinnati Bengals and appeared in 8 games in 2000, with 19 catches for 268 yards (including the team's only 100-yard game of the season); 2001- 12 games, 15 catches, 228 yards, 1 touchdown; 2002- 7 games, 9 catches, 115 yards. Last seen in camp for the Miami Dolphins in 2005, where he caught the game-winning touchdown in a pre-season game against Tampa Bay. His reward? Cut the following Tuesday.

Marc Boerigter 6-3, 220-pounds; Draft class of 2000; Hastings College; speed measurables?

A two-time All-Conference honoree, left Hastings as the best receiver in school history. In 35 games, caught 93 passes for 1,092 yards for a team record 30 touchdowns and 20.5 yard per-catch average. Caught 46 passes as a senior for a school single-season record 853 yards and 18 touchdowns. Had at least one touchdown catch in each of his last 14 games. Appeared in eight games as a junior and caught 31 balls for 660 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Undrafted, but signed with the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL in 2000 where he became the first rookie in team history to eclipse the 1,000-yard receiving mark. Totaled 63 catches for 1,092 yards and 8 touchdowns on the season. Also blocked two punts, returning one for a touchdown. In 2001, caught 48 passes for 931 yards and a team-high 11 touchdowns. Caught 4 balls for 114 yards and a touchdown to lead his team to the Grey Cup victory.

Signed as a free agent with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2002. Had 20 catches for 420 yards and 8 touchdowns as a rookie, including an NFL record-tying 99-yard touchdown (December 22, 2002 against the Chargers). As a reward, was pushed down the depth chart and played mainly special teams in 2003, but still managed to catch 11 passes for 158 yards and one kickoff return for 44 yards. Missed the '04 season with Kansas City due to a knee injury. Returned in 2005 and under a new coaching staff was still the odd man out, seeing action primarily on special teams and totaling 8 catches for 119 yards in 10 games before being cut.

Since his breakout performance in '02, he has been kicked out of locker rooms in Kansas City, Green Bay, and Indianapolis. Returned to the CFL in 2007 and played sparingly for Calgary, with 16 catches for 246 yards and a 70-yard touchdown. Traded to the Toronto Argonauts and had 6 catches for 77 yards with them. Currently on the Toronto roster.

Cory Peterson 6-2, 195 pounds; Draft class of 2000; Ole Miss; speed measurables?

Regarded as the best clutch receiver in Rebels history, was Ole Miss' top receiver for the final three seasons of his collegiate career. As a junior and senior, led Ole Miss in every receiving category. As a senior, had 45 catches for 598 yards and 4 touchdowns. As a junior, totaled 44 catches for 655 yards and 5 touchdowns. As a sophomore, led Ole Miss with 40 catches for 527 yards while snagging 1 touchdown.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the New York Jets where he drew rave reviews from the normally surly Bill Parcells during training camp. Was cut before the season began and disappeared.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Dave Klemic 5-11, 188 pounds; Draft class of 2001; Northeastern; ran a 4.37 at the Combine; Vertical jump of 36.5 inches; broad jump of 9-8.

Started all 44 games of his career as a record-setting receiver at Northeastern, catching 217 passes for 3,419 yards (15.8 avg.) with 41 touchdowns. Was a multiple America East Conference champion during his college career, including the 55 meters (6.42), the 200 meters (21.92), and the long jump (24'9.75") while winning multiple conference Track Athlete of the Year honors.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with Kansas City in 2001.

Is most well known for challenging Dante Hall to a footrace and winning during a Kansas City Chief training camp in 2001.

But since he also ran good routes and never dropped a pass, he was of course compared to Ricky Proehl and never given an opportunity to make the roster. Spent the entire season on the practice squad. Was allocated to NFL Europe and played in two games for the Barcelona Dragons in 2002 but suffered a compound fracture of his leg that sidelined him for two years. Bounced off and on the fringes of the Chiefs roster after he recovered, but was cut for the final time by the Chiefs on August 31, 2004.

Kevin Kasper 6-1, 202 pounds; Draft class of 2001; Iowa; Ran a 4.42 40 at the Combine; also set three all-time NFL combine speed records: Fastest 20 yard shuttle overall: Kevin Kasper (Iowa) 3.73 all-time record; Fastest 60 yard shuttle overall: Kevin Kasper (Iowa) 10.43 all-time record; Fastest 3 cone overall: Kevin Kasper (Iowa) 6.56 all-time record; Vertical jump of 43.5 inches; broad jump of 10-6.

Kevin joined the University of Iowa football team as a walk-on in 1996, and slowly moved his way up the depth chart. By his Jr. year he was the starting wide receiver, and Iowa's main offensive threat. He broke the school record with 13 catches in a game against Ohio State that year. His Sr. year he exploded onto the scene and left as Iowa's all-time leader in receptions for a game, a season, and a career. He also was a three time academic All Big Ten Selection and was named MVP of the team.

Drafted by the Denver Broncos in the sixth round (190th pick overall). He was the AFC's leading kickoff returner for much of the season and started 5 games as a wide receiver.

In his 2nd year he was released by the Broncos, and picked up by first Seattle, and then Arizona, where he seemed to have found a home after scoring 3 TD's in the last 2 games (appearing in just 6). He was then released, re-signed, and cut again. He's since been signed and cut by the New England Patriots and the Detroit Lions. During his NFL shunning, he has appeared in 39 games and caught 24 passes for 287 yards and 3 touchdowns. He has also returned 77 kickoffs for 1,869 yards (a 24.3 average).

He reportedly has signed a contract with the Cleveland Browns for the 2008 season and is now training Tom Zbikowski for the Combine.

Richmond Flowers 5-11, 205 pounds; Draft class of 2001; UT-Chattanooga; 4.4 40.

Played three seasons (1997-99) of college football with Duke University before playing his senior year (2000) with the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga. Finished his college career with 184 receptions for 2,501 yards and 13 touchdowns. Primarily played kick returner at Duke, gaining over 1,500 yards. In his senior year at UTC, Flowers was named All-Southern Conference ranking fourth in the nation with 86 receptions and 10th in the nation with 1,035 receiving yards which are both school records.

Invited to the 2000 Blue-Gray All-Star Classic, caught a game-record 12 passes for 169 yards, including the 21-yard game-winner with 59 seconds left to give the Gray a 40-37 win.

In 2001, selected in the seventh round (235th overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Joined the Jaguars in training camp before being a final cut on September 19. Signed to the practice squad of the Dallas Cowboys on October 22.

In 2002, was allocated to the Barcelona Dragons (NFL Europe) where he made 34 receptions for 508 yards (third in the league) and finished the season with a league-leading six touchdowns. Earned All-NFL Europe honors and finished with a league-best 15 yards per catch. Returned to Dallas to attend training camp before being released on August 19. Signed as a free agent with the Washington Redskins on November 14. Assigned to the practice roster. Signed to the active roster for the final week of the season. In 2003, attended training camp with the Redskins where he drew rave reviews from not only the coaching staff but also the fans... BUT was released by Washington at the conclusion of camp on August 25.

Signed with the New York Dragons (AFL) on October 22. In 2004, spent the majority of the year with the New York Dragons where he was named an Iron Man Rookie of the Year nominee. Played wide receiver, linebacker and offensive specialist for the Dragons and finished the year with 32 receptions for 638 yards and 13 touchdowns. Led the league in yards per catch with 20.0.

In 2005, signed as a free agent with the Tennessee Titans (NFL) in the fall but was released before the start of the regular season after again drawing glowing praise. Was out of football in 2006, but signed with the Toronto Argonauts on March 2, 2007. Was released on June 2 after never even meeting the head coach or practicing. Signed with Saskatchewan on June 7 but was cut before the season began.

Scott McCready 6-1, 190 pounds; Draft Class of 2001; South Florida; 4.46 40.

Played in every game in his junior and senior seasons at South Florida. Led the Bulls in receiving as a senior in 2000 with 37 catches for 517 yards and 6 touchdowns. Finished third on the team as a junior with 22-364-2. Didn't play or attend school in 1998 due to a serious knee injury incurred the season before, in which he only played three games (his first year at USF) before tearing up his knee. Attended Louisiana Tech for two years but never played, before transferring to USF.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the New England Patriots on April 27, 2001. McCready earned a Super Bowl ring with the New England Patriots in 2001 (as a member of their practice squad). Bounced on and off the Patriots practice squad the next three years while going to NFL Europe each summer. Signed with the Carolina Panthers in 2004 and despite shining in training camp was cut before the season. Returned and shined in NFLE, and was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs after coming back to the States. Got injured in training camp, and was most recently cut on August 28, 2006.

Played for the Scottish Claymores from 2002-2004. Played for the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe from 2005 until the league's closure before the 2007 season, and was named to the All-League team on multiple occasions. 2006: second in NFLE in catches (41) and yards (486) while adding 2 touchdowns. 2005: third in NFLE in catches (37) and fifth in yards (474) with 1 touchdown. 2004: led league in catches (59) and led his team with 472 yards (seventh in the league) with 1 touchdown. 2003: due to injury, had just 23 catches for 337 yards with 3 touchdowns. 2002: 22 catches for 310 yards, which both led the Claymores, while adding 2 touchdowns.

Despite his success in NFLE, McCready never played a snap in an NFL regular season game.

Eddie Berlin 5-11, 195 pounds; Draft class of 2001; Northern Iowa; 4.46 40.

Four-year starter finished his UNI career ranked No. 1 on the all-time Gateway and UNI pass reception list with 249 receptions breaking old school receptions record by Mike Furrey. Berlin also ranks second on the Panthers' all-time receiving yardage list with 3,725 yards and 34 touchdowns. As a senior, concluded career by leading team in receptions (74), receiving yards (1,195), TDs (16), scoring (96) and average yards per game (108.6). Ranked first in receptions and receiving yards and second in scoring in Gateway Conference and tied for second in Division I-AA in TD receptions.

Played alongside current Detroit Lion wide receiver Mike Furrey as a junior and had 63 catches for 937 yards and 6 touchdowns. Caught at least one pass in 44 consecutive games. Named first-team Division I-AA All-American by Walter Camp and The Sports Exchange while also receiving first-team All-Gateway honors and being chosen to play in East-West Shrine Bowl.

Won the Missouri Valley Conference high jump competition as a freshman with a jump of 6'8." Set a school record with a high jump of 6-11.

Drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the fifth round (#159 overall). Played primarily special teams until getting a chance in the receiver rotation in 2004, responding with 20 catches for 278 yards and a touchdown. Was rewarded with being cut. Signed by the Bears in '05 where he appeared in 5 games, primarily on special teams. Had 2 catches for 9 yards before being cut. His career long was his only catch in the '03 season, a 50-yard touchdown. Had 26 catches for 379 yards and 2 touchdowns for his career. Was a solid, but unspectacular return man, returning 30 kicks for 586 yards (19.5 yard average) and had 42 special teams tackles while playing in 57 career games. Last signed by the New England Patriots before the '06 season but was cut before the season began.

Chris Horn 5-11, 195 pounds; Draft class of 2001; Rocky Mountain College; speed measurables?

Finished his collegiate career in 2000 as a three-time NAIA All-America and ranked seventh in NAIA history with 249 receptions for 4,168 yards. He averaged 23.6 yards on 72 kickoff returns for 1,699 yards and 9.3 yards on 68 punt returns for 633 yards. Horn scored 46 total touchdowns and was named Frontier Conference MVP as a senior.

Undrafted and ignored by the NFL.

In three seasons in the Arena Football League (2001-03), Horn caught 181 passes for 2232 yards and 51 touchdowns. Additionally, he carried the football 26 times, scoring 10 touchdowns. He totaled 2581 yards and 2 touchdowns on 118 kick returns. He also kicked four extra points.

In 2004, went to NFL Europe and was second in the league in receiving yards (593) while leading the league in yards per catch on 34 catches (ninth in league) with 1 touchdown.

After his performance in NFLE, Horn finally got a chance to play in the NFL in 2004 for the KC Chiefs, and caught a touchdown pass in his first-ever game action. Finally started a game in 2005, and responded with 7 catches in his initial start. Was also a featured return man in '05 and returned 65 kicks for 1560 yards (a 24 yard average), including a 96-yard touchdown. Since 2003, he has been cut by KC 9 times, NO once, and most recently was cut by Carolina before the '07 season began.

Chris Anthony 6-3, 200 pounds; Draft class of 2001; Iowa State; speed measurables?

Finished his collegiate career at ISU ranked fifth on the Cyclones all-time receptions list with 114 and sixth with 1,371 receiving yards. Team captain in 1999 and 2000, and All-Big 12 Honorable Mention in '98 and 2000. Scored two touchdowns in his final collegiate game, a win in the Insight.com Bowl over Pittsburgh, the Cyclones first-ever bowl win.

Undrafted, and completely ignored by the NFL. Signed with the Quad City Steamwheelers of af2 in 2002 and ranked third in the League with 32 touchdowns and 1,613 receiving yards. Was one of only three receivers to play in all 16 games and average at least 100-yards per game (100.8).

Signed with the New York Dragons of the Arena League in 2003, and as a rookie caught 70 passes for 880 yards and 18 touchdowns in the regular season, again playing in all 16 games. Caught 25 passes for 268 yards and 4 touchdowns in two postseason games. Excluding the postseason has totaled 279 catches for 3,064 yards and 67 touchdowns (2003-07) for the Dragons.

Jimmy Farris 6-0, 200; Draft class of 2001; Montana; speed measurables?

Named to the Associated Press Division I-AA All-America team in his senior year at Montana and was part of a team that advanced to the NCAA Championship game in 2000. He finished his NCAA career with 21 touchdowns and ranks eighth on Montana's all-time list with 2,233 career receiving yards, including the two longest pass receptions in school history: 93 yards in 1997, and 91 yards in 2000, both for touchdowns. During UM's magical 2000 season, amassed 1,003 receiving yards and caught an overtime touchdown pass that propelled the Griz into the national championship game.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the San Francisco 49ers. Cut and signed to their practice squad. Signed by the Patriots to their active roster on January 10, 2002 but was inactive for the Super Bowl. As a member of the New England Patriots, he earned a Super Bowl ring. Cut by the Patriots on August 27, 2002 after impressing during training camp. Signed to the Falcons practice squad on November 27, 2002, then elevated to the active roster on January 7, 2003 where he remained a fixture on special teams until being released on April 26, 2005.

Signed by the Redskins, and in the Redskins' final pre-season game of the 2005 season, caught a 22-yard touchdown pass from Mark Brunell in the second quarter and a 37-yard touchdown pass from rookie Jason Campbell in the third quarter. Got cut despite shining in training camp and preseason. Signed and cut repeatedly by the Redskins until the spring of 2007. Spent the 2007 preseason with the Jaguars, before being cut. Was re-signed briefly by the Redskins on November 28, 2007.
Has appeared in 36 games and caught 7 balls for 118 yards and 2 touchdowns in his "career."

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Adam Herzing 6-3, 205 pounds; Draft class of 2002; Cal-Poly; speed measurables?

Second all-time at Cal Poly in receiving yards with 2,487 for his career. As a senior, led the team in every receiving category with 51 catches for 968 yards and 9 touchdowns, including a 95-yard touchdown.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Indianapolis Colts on April 21, 2002. Spent two seasons on the Colts practice squad before signing with the San Francisco 49ers in 2003 and allocated by the 49ers to NFL Europe in 2004. Named 1st team All-NFL Europe after he led the entire league in receiving yards in 2004, finishing the year with 49 receptions for 656 yards and one touchdown.

As a reward, was cut by the 49ers, then signed and cut by the Lions. Then signed by the Steelers and sent to NFLE where he was injured in game seven during Frankfurt's championship season in '06; at the time had caught 14 passes for 220 yards and a touchdown, and was averaging 9.3 yards per punt return and 23.2 yards per kick return. In September '07, placed on Pittsburgh's reserved/non-injured list, whatever that means.

Has never played a snap in a regular season NFL game.

Abram Booty 6-2, 185 pounds; Draft class of 2002; Valdosta State; 4.41 40; Vertical jump of 38 inches.

The greatest pass catcher in high school history, set still-standing national records with 302 catches for 5,867 yards and 83 touchdowns. He also ranks No. 4 in single-season yards (2,084), No. 5 in career yards per catch (19.4), No. 5 (tie) in single-season TD catches (28), No. 6 in single-season average yards per game (138.9), No. 6 in single-season yards per catch (21.4) and No. 10 in single-season yards per catch (19.1). Abram did not even make All-America his senior year.

From 97-99, Abram played for LSU and during those three seasons, Booty caught 117 passes for 1,768 yds. As a freshman (1997), Booty caught 35 passes for 550 yards and 1 touchdown, for second on the team, including being the only LSU receiver to catch a pass in the win at the Independence Bowl (5 for 62 and a touchdown) en route to being named a 1st-team Freshman All-American. As a sophomore (1998), Booty was the team's leading receiver, catching 54 passes for 779 yards and 5 touchdowns. After injuring his back after the season and having surgery, Abram only caught 26 for 374 yards and 2 touchdowns as a junior, which was still good enough for second on the team. Entering his senior season was the leading active SEC receiving yardage leader, despite having played for three years on a run-first team.

Injured his back early in 2000 and redshirted. After a coaching change, transferred to Valdosta State for the 2001 season where he caught 19 balls for 342 yards despite still recovering. Still ranks 9th on LSU's all-time charts for career receptions.

Undrafted and cut by the Browns before the 2002 season despite being completely healthy. Turned down an invitation to play in NFL Europe and is now out of football.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Jerheme Urban 6-3, 212 pounds; Draft class of 2003; Trinity (Division III); speed measurables?

A two-sport athlete in college, ran track and played football for the Tigers. Began his career as a quarterback before changing positions and ended up as a D3football.com All-American who led Trinity to the National Championship in 2002. Holds school records for career touchdowns (40), season touchdowns (19) and kickoff return yards in a career and a season. Led Trinity with 75 receptions for 1,274 yards and 19 touchdowns in his senior season.

The only athlete in Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference history to earn Male Track and Field Athlete of the Year four years in a row. Holds school or conference records in the 100, 400, 400 hurdles, long jump, triple jump and 4 x 400 relay. Qualified for the national championships in those six events as well as the javelin in his four years.

Earned a league-record 12 individual titles in six different events during his four-year reign in the SCAC, including four straight wins in the triple jump. He also won titles in the 400-meter hurdles (2002, 2003), long jump (2001, 2003), javelin (2002, 2003), 400 meters (2001) and 100 meters (2003).

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Seattle Seahawks on May 1, 2003. Cut and signed too many times to count by the Seahawks over the next three seasons ('03-'05), but impressed every time he was given a chance to play. Appeared in 11 games (starting 1 game in 2004 and 1 game in 2005) primarily on special teams, but in his rare opportunities to play wideout looked stellar, catching 13 passes for 268 yards and 1 touchdown as a Seahawk. Was cut for the final time by Seattle on June 2, 2006.

Signed by the Cowboys to their practice squad on October 19, 2006 where he remained until the 2007 preseason. In the preseason, he showcased the talent that had been hidden, highlighted by a 95-yard punt return on national TV in the Cowboys final preseason game. His reward? Cut by the Cowboys on September 1, 2007 following that game.

Signed by the Arizona Cardinals to their active roster on September 3. Kept on the inactive roster for the first three weeks of the season, was finally activated in the fourth week of the season and responded with 5 catches for 53 yards and a touchdown. Appeared in 10 games (2 starts), mostly on special teams, but impressed in his limited opportunities at wide receiver. In week 14, got the start and responded in a big way with 6 catches for 123 yards and 1 touchdown, and posted 22 catches for 329 yards and 2 touchdowns on the season.

In his 5-year "career," has appeared in 21 games almost exclusively on special teams and totaled 35 catches for 597 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Ben Nelson 6-3, 191 pounds; Draft class of 2003; St. Cloud (Minn.); known as a speed guy, but I couldn't find a verifiable 40 time.

Ended his career as SCSU's all-time leader in TD receptions (43) and points (266) and ranked 2nd all-time in receptions and 3rd in receiving yards. Had a streak of 34 consecutive games with a reception. Was named All-American by Associated Press, AFCA Division II Coaches and Football Gazette following 69 receptions as a senior. Earned North Central Conference's Most Valuable Receiver and first-team all-conference honors. Caught a school record 4 touchdowns in consecutive games. Earned second-team All-NCC as a junior and caught a pass in every game his sophomore year.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with Minnesota Vikings on April 28, 2003. Had two different stints on the club's practice squad that season. Allocated to Cologne of NFL Europe for the 2004 season. Caught 15 passes for 182 yards and a TD playing in the franchise's first season. Spent the first 6 weeks of 2004 season on Vikings practice squad before being promoted to active roster. Played in 3 consecutive games (11/8 to 11/21) exclusively on special teams following promotion. Was cut and signed back on practice squad for the remaining 7 weeks of 2004 season.

Moved to free safety by the Vikings on August 5, 2005 before cutting him on August 29.

In 2006, named 2006 AFL Rookie of the Year. Totaled 2nd highest receiving yardage total by a rookie in AFL history in just 11 games. Placed 8th overall in the league in yardage and ranked 3rd with 117.1 yards per game. Established multiple rookie franchise receiving records. In the postseason, dominated in first AFL playoff game by setting team playoff game records with 12 catches, 202 receiving yards and 6 TDs (vs Arizona 5/27). Earned AFL's Offensive Player of the Week following his performance in the first round. Held in check in second game of playoffs with 7 receptions for 87 yards (vs. Chicago 6/3).

Signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after his record-setting performance on June 13, 2006 but was cut less than three weeks later on June 29. Returned to the Arena League in the spring of 2007 and again dominated, catching 101 balls for 1,258 yards and 25 touchdowns for the Sabercats.

Signed by the Atlanta Falcons on July 30, 2007 and cut a month later on August 28. Will play for the Colorado Crush of the Arena League in 2008.

Brad Pyatt 6-0, 203 pounds; Draft class of 2003; Northern Colorado; 4.38 40.

One-year player at Northern Colorado after transferring from Kentucky. Finished career with 23 receptions for 401 yards and four touchdowns. Best game as a senior came against Northwest Missouri State in NCAA Division II quarterfinals with 7 catches for 126 yards and two scores. He suffered a foot injury as a sophomore that forced him to miss ten games that year and four the next. As a freshman, played in every game and drew seven starting assignments, finishing with 21 receptions for 207 yards and two touchdowns. Pyatt also had more than his share of off-the-field problems in Lexington, leaving the team three times, including twice involuntarily.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent by the Indianapolis Colts on July 16, 2003 and saw action as a return man and wide receiver with the Colts in 2003 during first eight games. Appeared to be a rising star before injuring neck at Miami (11/2) and being placed on injured reserve. Finished the season with one catch for two yards and returned 19 kickoffs for 544 yards with a long of 90 yards. Also returned 12 punts for 110 yards. Appeared in eight games with Indianapolis as returner and wide receiver in 2004 and tallied two receptions for 12 yards, 10 kickoff returns for 230 yards, and eight punt returns for 47 yards. In 2005 with the Colts, suffered shoulder injury during preseason and was place on injured reserve. Signed by the St. Louis Rams on April 6, 2006 and attended training camp where he starred in the preseason as a return man and a receiver... but was still cut on September 1, 2006. Was signed to the Dolphins practice squad on October 18, 2006 but was cut two weeks later even though he was apparently not injured.

Signed with the Colorado Crush in 2007 and had 95 catches for 1,169 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Chas Gessner -6-5, 230-pounds; Draft class of 2003; Brown; Ran a 4.53 40.

A two-time Walter Payton Award finalist as the nation's top I-AA player. Led the nation with 11.4 receptions per game in 2002, finishing with 114 catches, third-best in NCAA Division I-AA history. His 292 career receptions rank fourth in NCAA I-AA history and second in Ivy League record book. His 36 career touchdown catches are second in Ivy League history and 10th in NCAA I-AA annals. Completed his career with 3,408 receiving yards, 18th in I-AA history. Also tied a 19-year old NCAA I-AA game-record of 24 catches vs. Rhode Island in 2002, a record held by Jerry Rice. Was a consensus All-American First Team choice as a senior in 2002. Led the nation with 114 catches for 1,166 yards and 11 touchdowns. Led the NCAA Dvision I-AA ranks as a junior with an average of 131.4 yards per game receiving and second with an average of 9.22 catches per game. Grabbed 19 catches for a school-record 269 yards vs. Rhode Island. Named Ivy League Rookie of the Year as a freshman in 1999 after a season in which he set Brown rookie records by catching 43 passes for 560 yards and 8 touchdowns. Also an All-American lacrosse player.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the New England Patriots. Cut then signed to their practice squad and allocated to the Berlin Thunder of NFL Europe by the Patriots in 2004 and earned All-NFL Europe honors by catching 38 passes for 566 yards and a league-high 6 touchdowns. Came back and got cut. Signed by the Jets and dominated in training camp and preseason, and got cut. Signed and cut by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers too many times to count though he drew nothing but accolades from the coaching staff for his ability and performance. Dominated so thoroughly in preseason for three years with the Bucs before repeatedly getting cut that he earned the nefarious nickname "Mr. August." Last cut by the Bucs on November 12, 2007.

Never saw a snap of an NFL regular season game.

Aaron Boone 6-3, 215 pounds; Draft class of 2003; Kentucky; 4.50 40; Vertical jump of 38 inches.

In 2002, led Kentucky in every receiving category, with 41 catches for 760 yards and 10 touchdowns, which tied for the lead in the SEC. Transferred to Kentucky for 2001 season, and as a junior emerged as a playmaker in the second half of the year, catching 18 balls for 268 yards and 6 touchdowns. In 2000, as a sophomore, was a first-team JuCo All-American after catching 81 passes for 1,505 yards and 19 touchdowns. As a redshirt freshman in 1999 (his first season at wide receiver after being a quarterback) caught 33 balls for 645 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Undrafted, signed by Cowboys in '03. Cut. Signed by Bears and sent to NFL Europe in '04, where he continued his knack for scoring despite limited touches. Had 4 touchdowns on just 13 catches for 221 yards. Cut by Bears. Signed by Panthers in '05 and sent to NFL Europe. Once again dominated. Led the League in catches with 43, second in yards with 582, and second in touchdowns with 6 en route to being named All-League. Had just 2 catches for the Panthers that fall, but one went for a TD, before getting cut.

In 2006 was named to the All-Rookie team in the Arena Football League after compiling 66 catches, 748 yards, and 19 TDs in just 7 games for the Kansas City Brigade. In 2007, snagged 32 balls for 420 yards and 8 touchdowns for the Utah Blaze in just 7 games.

He has been cut not only by three NFL teams, but also an NFL Europe club and an Arena Football League squad. His road has been so bumpy that he even spent time on an NFL Europe practice squad, which he never knew existed until he was signed to it.

"I thought I'd finally got there, working my way up from the bottom," said Boone, a native of Provo, Utah. "I made it all the way to the final cut, but was one of the last two players released. After that, a lot of NFL doors just seemed like they were closing quick. I could never figure it out.

"I watched the guys that I used to beat in the SEC and NFL Europe starting for NFL teams ... and I didn't get it," he said in an interview. "LSU, I had five touchdowns against them in two years, and here's their entire secondary in the NFL. I'm thinking to myself, 'I can beat this guy. Is this ever going to happen?'"

"I know I can make a lot of money in the business world - (he earned his degree in business management and has a minor in Spanish and international business) - because I'm very motivated and I'm a hard worker. But not yet. I look at it like this: I'm going to work my entire life, but I'm only going to have one opportunity to play football," he said. "My window is open for only a short time in the grand scheme of things. So, this is it for me.

"I'm still healthy, I'm still happy, and I still have that desire. That's the biggest thing. When someone loses that desire, it's time to hang it up. But I still love waking up in the morning at 7:30 and training. And I can push myself. I still see myself reaching that goal. I don't know if anyone else does, but I see it happening. ... I'm still training today like I'll be playing tomorrow. That's just the way it's been."

Jimmy Fryzel 5-11, 190 pounds; Draft class of 2003; Central Florida; 4.52 40.

Started 23 games in his final two seasons. After establishing career-highs with 58 catches for 1,126 yards and 5 TDs, Fryzel earned Second-Team All-Mid-American Conference Honors as a senior. He also earned a MAC Offensive Player-of-the-Week award for his game against Miami (Oh.), in which he caught 6 passes for 174 yards and 2 TDs. He finished his collegiate career with 137 receptions for 2,469 yards and 10 TDs. Then following his senior year, he played in the Rotary Gridiron Classic All-Star Game. Totaled 39-664-2 as a junior, and had 36-606-3 as a sophomore.

One of the strongest wide receivers to ever play the game, Fryzel has a maximum bench press of 500 pounds and is known as a great leaper.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Miami Dolphins on May, 2003. Later in 2003, he spent time on the Atlanta, Tennessee, and Chicago practice squads. In 2004, he attended the Chicago Bears camp, but was waived during pre-season, then signed on again to the team's practice squad in October of 2004.

On October 14th 2005, Fryzel signed on with the Orlando Predators to a one year contract. Fryzel compiled big numbers in his first season in the Arena League, despite having missed the first four games on the inactive list. Nevertheless, Fryzel led the Predators in receiving yards (1,159), finishing second in receptions (78), as well as second in receiving touchdowns (18). Fryzel also ended the season ranked second on the team in both scoring (108 points) and all-purpose yards (1,356). He tied the club record for five consecutive games with at least 100-yards in receiving, but left early in the 3rd quarter with fractured ribs in a game versus Georgia. He missed two games because of the injury, but returned in the regular season finale, posting 170 receiving yards and 12 receptions, both of which were career highs. Fryzel posted 12 receptions for 128 yards and 3 TDs in a pair of playoff games, but his season was cut short after a semi-final loss to Georgia. He resigned with Orlando to another one-year deal in July 2005.

Fryzel led the Orlando Predators in receptions (87), receiving yards (1,108) and receiving touchdowns (23) for the 2006 season. He also led club in scoring with 138 total points. Fryzel caught 3 TD passes in a single game three times in his first three games. Then in Week 4 against the Tampa Bay Storm, Fryzel compiled 11 receptions for 158 yards and 3 TDs. But after Week 4, Fryzel was placed on Injured Reserve after being diagnosed with diabetes. Upon his return, he posted four, 100-yard receiving games during the final games of the regular season. He then caught 18 balls for 222 yards and 4 TDs in the post-season, including a game-high 10 receptions in a losing effort against the Chicago Rush in ArenaBowl XX. Fryzel signed a one year contract in July for 2007.

In 2007, battled hamstring injuries and missed 7 games (and was hampered in others), but still finished the season with 55 catches for 581 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Dan Stricker 6-2, 203 pounds; Draft class of 2003; Vanderbilt; Ran a 4.48 at private workouts, but ran a 4.64 at the Combine; also posted times of 4.16 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.91 in the 3-cone drill; vertical jump of 39 inches; broad jump of 10-2.

The two-time All-SEC selection ended his career second all-time among Vanderbilt receivers with 2,880 receiving yards. Senior year, played with future Denver Bronco quarterback Jay Cutler who was a freshman. As a senior in 2002, Stricker led the Commodores' struggling offense with 44 receptions, good for 620 yards and six touchdowns. In 2001, named First team All-SEC after starting 11 games and piling up 65 catches for 1,079 yards and eight touchdowns. In 2000, was second team All-SEC with 61 catches for 994 yards and five touchdowns.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent contract with the New England Patriots on May 2, 2003. Got injured, got cut, and has never played a snap in the NFL.

David Kircus 6-2, 192 pounds; Draft class of 2003; Grand Valley State; Ran a 4.47 40 at Grand Valley's Pro Day; vertical jump of 40 inches.

In addition to helping Grand Valley State University make two appearances in the NCAA Division II National Championship Game, Kircus' career numbers virtually rewrote the Greater Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference record books and ranked among the best in NCAA history. He tallied 482 points during his collegiate career, the sixth-best total in college football annals and second best in Division II history. He recorded 212 points in 2002, a season total topped in NCAA history only by Barry Sanders' (Oklahoma State) 234 points in 1988. Kircus set school records with 241 career catches for 4,523 yards (18.8 avg.) with 80 touchdowns, and his 241 catches also established the GLIAC standard. His 4,523 receiving yards ranked sixth in college football history and second in Division II annals while Kircus' 80 career touchdowns (all receiving) set a collegiate record. He was a two-time All-American and first-team all-conference selection. As a senior in 2002, he established a college record with 35 touchdown catches in a single season. In his final collegiate game, went out with a bang: 11 catches for a school single-game record 270 yards with three touchdowns to help Grand Valley State win the NCAA Division II National Championship

Drafted in the sixth round (#175 overall) by the Detroit Lions. After being cut, signed to the practice squad, and eventually signed to the active roster, appeared in just 5 games as a rookie, mostly on special teams. Had 3 catches for 53 yards. Repeating the process in '04, appeared in 7 games, again mostly on special teams and had 3 catches for 68 yards, including a phenomenal one-handed catch and run for a 50-yard touchdown against Dallas. He was cut at the end of the season.

Out of football in '05, signed with Denver in '06, and looked poised to become a breakout player. Appearing in all 16 games, he had 9 catches for an impressive 187 yards while returning punts in spot duty.

Was acknowledged by head coach Mike Shanahan and announcer (and NFL Hall of Fame coach) John Madden as the fastest receiver on the Broncos roster.

Was inexplicably cut by the Broncos on August 28, 2007 after punching a man in self-defense, even after passing a lie detector test to prove his innocence. Is currently out of football.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Derek Abney 5-9, 179 pounds; Draft class of 2004; Kentucky; Ran a 4.58 40 at the NFL Combine. Also posted times of 4.09 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.92 in the 3-cone drill. Vertical jump of 33.5 inches; broad jump of 10-0; at Kentucky's Pro Day, ran a 4.37 40 and a 3.93 in the 20-yard shuttle; vertical jump of 38 inches; bench pressed 225 pounds 11 times with a max of 310 pounds; has run a 10.78 100 meters.

One of the most dangerous return specialists in the annals of college football. The spark plug of the Kentucky Wildcats, he is the owner of five NCAA Division I-A, 11 Southeastern Conference, and 14 school records for kick returns. He's returned eight kicks for touchdowns during his career (six punts, two kickoffs), and he became the first player in NCAA Division I-A history to record at least 2,000 receiving yards, 2,000 kickoff return yards and 1,000 punt return yards in his career. His 5,856 all-purpose yards set a school career record and ranks second all-time in SEC annals behind Louisiana State's Kevin Faulk.

Started 33 of 46 games for the Wildcats, catching 197 passes for 2,339 yards (11.9 avg.) and 18 touchdowns, second all-time at Kentucky.

Drafted in the seventh round of the 2004 NFL Draft (#244 overall) by the Baltimore Ravens, but was released without playing a game. Since then, he has pinballed around the league but has never seen action in a regular season game. I can't find him listed on any NFL roster as of today...

John Standeford 6-3, 195 pounds; Draft class of 2004; Purdue; Ran a 4.60 at the Combine; also posted times of 4.11 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.90 in the 3-cone drill; vertical jump of 32.5 inches; broad jump of 9-5. At Purdue's Pro Day, ran a 4.50 and a 4.55 40; also posted times of 4.10 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.55 in the 3-cone drill.

Ended career as Big Ten's all-time leading receiver in receptions and yards...totaled 266-3,788, 27 TDs receiving for career. Holds school record for 14 100+ games. Started 13 games as a senior and was named second-team All-Big Ten with 77 catches for 1,150 yards and 4 touchdowns. Was Academic All-America. As a junior, was a semifinalist for Biletnikoff Award. Fourth-team All-America by The Sporting News and First team All-Big Ten with 75 catches for 1,307 yards and 13 touchdowns. 1,307 yards set school mark and 13 TDs tied school record. Ranked second in Big Ten with 100.5 yards receiving per game. Had seven 100+ games. As a freshman, caught 67 balls for 744 yards and 6 touchdowns. Led all true freshman nationally in receptions and reception yards.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent deal with the Washington Redskins on April 27, 2004 only to be cut after impressing in training camp. Was signed to the Colts practice squad on October 6, 2004, where he remained despite impressing year after year, routinely leading the Colts in receiving each preseason. He bounced on and off the practice squad, even occasionally being signed to the active roster only to be cut again.

He's never played a snap in a regular season NFL game and was most recently cut by the Colts on September 1, 2007.

Lane Danielsen 6-0, 192 pounds; Draft class of 2004; Iowa State; ran a 4.53 40 at the Combine; Vertical jump of 29.5 inches; broad jump of 9-6; bench press max of 410-pounds. Ambidextrous.

A former walk-on, left ISU as the school's all-time leader in receptions with 163 and yards with 2,690. His 14 touchdown catches are one shy of the ISU career-record. A three-year starter, gained over 100 yards receiving in six games, two shy of the school all-time record. Also gained 210 yards for five scores on 31 carries (6.8 avg), adding another touchdown on a blocked punt return, 98 yards on five kickoff returns (19.6 avg.) and 24 tackles (19 solos) with a forced fumble on the punt coverage unit. Amassed 3,001 career all-purpose yards for 10th place all-time on the ISU record charts.

Acclaimed by opposing Big Twelve coaches as the "toughest player" they have faced.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Minnesota Vikings. Was cut on September 4, 2004. Was signed and cut multiple times to the practice squad of the Tennessee Titans in 2004, before being signed to the practice squad of the Vikings again on December 21, 2004. Tired of the run-around, "retired" from the NFL on May 26, 2005.

Tom Crowder 6-2, 205 pounds. Draft Class of 2004; After his junior season, ran a 4.42 and 4.45 forty. 3.98 short shuttle; 6.52 three-cone drill; 10.74 60-yard shuttle; 38.5 inch vertical; 11-0 broad jump. After his senior season, at Arkansas' Pro Day clocked 4.25 (average of the scouts in attendance) in back-to-back 40s, with some scouts clocking him as low as 4.19 and none of the hand-held times slower than 4.32.

A fan favorite at Arkansas, Crowder was renowned for his speed and special teams play. Once scored a touchdown while on the kick-off coverage team, by outrunning the ball down the field, hitting the return man on the 1-yard line and recovering the ball in the endzone. Was recognized as one of the two best gunners in college football on punt coverage. Strangely never got much playing time at wide receiver, because according to head coach Houston Nutt, "We want to save him for special teams." A confusing statement considering he was the team's fastest player and gained even more cult acclaim by once knocking himself out by running into a camera lift-truck on a touchdown pass in a scrimmage... and still holding onto the ball.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Dallas Cowboys. Crowder spent two seasons on the Cowboys' practice squad; as a safety in 2004 and as a receiver in 2005. Blocked a punt for a touchdown in 2005 pre-season game against Arizona. Was sent to NFL Europe by the Cowboys in 2006. Playing wide receiver for the Frankfurt Galaxy, Crowder struggled early in the 10-week season, even being inactivated for two games. But he came back strong, impressing his coaches and media analysts with his speed and hands. Caught 6 passes for 64 yards and one touchdown before his season was cut short by a broken jaw, suffered in Week Nine.

Returned to Cowboys camp, where he was once again recognized as the fastest player on the team by head coach Bill Parcells. Despite impressing once again in camp, he was cut... for not being explosive enough.

Aaron Hosack 6-5, 229 pounds; Draft class of 2004; Minnesota; speed measurables?

A two-year starter at the University of Minnesota, he led the team in receiving as a senior, catching 51 passes for 814 yards and eight touchdowns. Started 11 games as a junior, catching 29 passes for 649 yards and three touchdowns. He finished eighth all-time on the school receiving yards list with 1,483. Also finished eighth on the all-time list for touchdown receptions (11). Transferred to Minnesota after playing two seasons at Mount San Antonio (Calif.) Junior College.

Played three years in NFL Europe. Appeared in only four games in 2005 due to a shoulder injury, but returned in 2006 and had a great year with the Galaxy and helped lead them to a World Bowl Championship. He caught 36 balls, amassed 473 yards (which were both third in the league) and scored 4 touchdowns for a team that set NFLE rushing records. He was voted onto the All-NFL Europe team. Last season he played pretty well for the Frankfurt Galaxy and was part of a team that went 7-3 and appeared in their second straight World Bowl. He caught 9 passes for 289 yards and 4 touchdowns. He was an explosive player at times last season averaging 32.1 yards per catch. Has tremendous size at 6-5, 229 pounds and known for having tremendous hands. Hosack finished with 70 receptions for 1,129 yards and 14 touchdowns in his three seasons overseas.

Has never played a snap in the NFL. Was last released by the New Orleans Saints on August 26, 2007.

PJ Fleck 5-10, 185 pounds; Draft class of 2004; Northern Illinois; speed measurables? Regarded as fast and shifty, but I couldn't find any official times.

Started 23-of-44 games in career. Finished career ranked number one in school history in punt returns (87) and punt return yardage (716). Finished career ranked third in school history in receptions (179) and receiving yards (2,162). Collected 3,102 all-purpose yards. Ranks fourth all-time in Mid-American Conference in career punt returns (87). Started 12 games as senior and posted second best single-season reception total (77) in school history with 1,028 yards and six touchdowns. Started 11 games as junior and caught 59 passes for 732 yards and six touchdowns. Also posted 26 punt returns for 250 yards.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent contract with the San Francisco 49ers. Despite impressing coaches with his speed, hands, route running, and toughness, never played a snap in the NFL. Is now an assistant coach at Northern Illinois University.

Rich Musinski 5-11, 200 pounds; Draft class of 2004; College of William and Mary; speed measurables?

Set school records in every major receiving category. He set the Tribe's all-time marks in receptions (224), receiving yards (4,168), receiving touchdowns (31), 100-yard receiving games (21) and yards per reception (18.6), and the Atlantic 10's all time receiving yards record. Musinski is one of just three players in Division I-AA history to record more than 4,000 receiving yards, joining Jacquay Nunnally and Jerry Rice. Finished his collegiate career as an All-American.

Caught an 86-yard touchdown pass with his first reception as a redshirt freshman. has started 42 consecutive games for the Tribe over four seasons and named the Conference Rookie of the Year as a redshirt freshman and First Team All Conference the next three seasons.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent by the Tennessee Titans on April 26, 2004 and allocated to NFL Europe where he had 21 catches for 292 yards and 2 TDs. Returned, dominated in training camp, and got cut. Signed by the Patriots in 2005, put on practice squad and allocated to NFL Europe again in 2006, where he led the Berlin Thunder in every receiving category with 23 catches for 277 yards and 4 touchdowns. Returned, shined in training camp, and got cut. Most recently, was cut on August 27, 2007 by the San Diego Chargers.

Has never played a snap of a regular season NFL game.

John Booth 6-1, 180 pounds; Draft class of 2004; Nazarene; speed measurables? Apparently really fast.

Saw action in 35 games at NAIA Mid America Nazarene in Olathe, Kansas. He completed 284 of 534 passes for 4,250 yards with 42 TDs and 16 INTs, good for a 140.0 QB rating. Booth's 3,266 total offensive yards were the highest total in team single-season history. He earned conference offensive MVP honors and honorable mention All-NAIA All-America selections.

Undrafted, but arrived on the NFL scene when he showed up at a Kansas City Chief tryout on a whim to show off his QB skills...

When the Chiefs timed him in the 40, they told him they'd sign him as a receiver if he agreed to give up playing quarterback. He had never played receiver before. After bouncing off and on the Chiefs practice squad in 2004, was allocated by the Chiefs to NFL Europe in 2005.

Started 10 games for the Amsterdam Admirals, where he caught 21 passes for 358 yards (17.0 avg.) and had four catches for 103 yards in the club's 27-21 World Bowl XIII win vs. Berlin (6/11). After returning to Kansas City and drawing rave reviews from Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil for his athleticism, strength, and hands throughout the 2005 training camp after making the switch from college quarterback to NFL-attempting-wide receiver, Booth was cut for the final time by Vermeil on September 3, 2005.

Signed on October 14, 2005 by the Kansas City Brigade of the AFL, spent half of the season on the practice squad before being activated. Caught two long touchdown passes in his first-ever AFL game. Is currently off the radar.

Trey Freyfogle 6-1, 196 pounds; Draft class of 2004?; Nicholls State/Ole Miss; said to have been the fastest player on Ole Miss' roster, but I can't confirm a 40 time.

Transferred to Nicholls State for the 2003 season after struggling with "off field issues" and an inability to stay out of the "doghouse" with Ole Miss' coaching staff, but never played for the Colonels. As a junior in 2002, for the Rebels in limited playing time caught 13 passes for 141yards and a touchdown. In 2001, played sporadically and caught just 5 passes for 53 yards.

Undrafted, fell completely off the map after his transfer to Nicholls State.

B.J. Szymanski 6-5, 215 pounds; Draft class of either 2004-05; Princeton; 4.5 40; Gave up football to play pro baseball... but he was a phenomenal athlete. By signing a pro contract, he forfeited his senior season with the Tiger football squad under Ivy League rules. While Szymanski's choice in the second round of the MLB draft and the reported $750,000 signing bonus that came with it in the Cincinnati Reds organization was too good to pass up, who knows what might have been on the football field...

Had 85 receptions for 1603 yards in his Tiger football career. That includes 8 100-yard games in just his sophomore and junior seasons for Princeton.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Dan Sheldon 5-9, 173 pounds; Draft class of 2005; Northern Illinois; Ran a 4.43 40 at the Combine.

All-American return man led the NCAA in 2004 with a 22.7 yard average on 21 punt returns, including three touchdowns. Appeared in 33 games and caught 94 balls for 1,986 yards and 18 TDs receiving. His total ranked fourth in school history, while TD receptions ranked third. As a punt returner, totaled 57 returns for 1,021 yards and 4 TDs. Set seven school records and became only third player in conference history to gain 1,000+ career PR yards...was 40-936, 9 TDs receiving and 24-16.4, 1 TD PR

As a senior, led the nation in yards per catch (23.4) with 40 catches for 936 yards and 9 touchdowns; also ran 7 times for 74 yards. Played in only five games as a junior due to dislocated elbow but still caught 10-206, 4 TDs receiving and averaged 12.5 yards on 12 punt returns. Cuaght 40-783, 5 TDs, with 10-135, 1 touchdown rushing and returned 21 punts for an average of 22.7 yards and 3 touchdowns as a sophomore. Punt return average led nation and was fifth-best seasonal mark in NCAA history. Was named conference Special Teams Player-of-the-Year and earned All-America honors.

Regarded as the fastest player on his team by teammates and coaches.

Undrafted, and despite impressing numerous coaching staffs with his speed, route running, hands, and toughness, has yet to see a single second of regular season action. Was most recently cut by the Steelers on August 27, 2007.

Cole Magner 6-1, 196 pounds; Draft class of 2005; Bowling Green; ran a 4.56 40 at Bowling Green's Pro Day; a taller version of Wes Welker, posted the fastest times in both the 3-cone and short shuttle (pro agility) drills of anyone in the 2005 draft class. He recorded back-to-back 6.40 seconds in the 3-cone and 3.84 in the short shuttle; Vertical jump of 32 inches; broad jump of 9-7.

Left the Bowling Green Falcons as the team's all-time receptions leader with 215 catches from 2001-04. He finished his collegiate career sixth in team history with 2,385 receiving yards, fifth with 18 touchdown receptions and 10th with 3,246 all-purpose yards. As a junior, Magner set a school single-season record with 99 receptions for 1,138 yards and 10 scores. Senior year caught 77-746-6.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Atlanta Falcons, and was briefly a practice squad member with the NFL's Baltimore Ravens in 2005. Cut and out of football in 2006.

Magner spent the majority of 2007 on the Destroyers' practice squad, finally getting his chance to shine at the end of the season. In his lone regular-season game, Magner caught a pair of touchdown passes, earning him a spot on the team's active roster for the playoffs. The Destroyers called on Magner during their run to ArenaBowl XXI, as he ranked second on the team in receptions and receiving yards in both the National Conference Championship and ArenaBowl games. Recently signed a new contract with the Grand Rapids Rampage for the upcoming '08 season.

Bill Flowers 6-1, 193 pounds; Draft class of 2005; Ole Miss; 4.51 40;

As a Rebel, Flowers was a four year letterman and sits second on the list for career receptions with 149 and sixth in receiving yards with 1,795. Had 10 touchdown catches in 45 career games (19 starts). Despite running a 4.5 forty and having hands like glue, Flowers was known most for being incredibly tough. Made a name for himself running across the middle, and had a reputation for never dropping a ball no matter how hard he got hit. Battled injuries throughout his Ole Miss career.

In his senior season in 2004, Flowers caught 29 passes for 349 yards and two touchdowns (8 games including 6 starts), despite missing two games with a kidney injury. One of his two touchdown catches was a game winning grab in the back of the end zone in Columbia, S.C. to beat the Gamecocks. In his junior season he grabbed 39 balls for 543 yards and one touchdown.

Undrafted in 2005, signed with Cleveland as a rookie free agent before being cut on June 20 and spending the remainder of the year out of football. Signed contract with Denver in 2006 but waived on March 22, 2006.

Chris Samp 6-3, 217 pounds; Draft class of 2005; Winona State University; Wasn't invited to the Combine but ran for pro scouts on several different occasions and consistently ran in the high 4.4s-low 4.5s.

In 2004, Samp had 78 catches for 1,588 yards and 22 TD's. In his career, Samp accumulated 4,471 receiving yards (2nd all-time D-2) and 53 TD's (third all-timeD-2).

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Green Bay Packers. Cut and signed by the Philadelphia Eagles. Sent to NFL Europe in 2006, where he led his team in every receiving category with 32 catches (4th in the league) for 400 yards (5th in the league) and 5 touchdowns (3rd). Turned heads in training camp and in the pre-season following his NFLE success, but all it did was get him cut.

Mike Gasperson 6-4, 220; Draft class of 2005; San Diego; speed measurables? Regarded as an excellent leaper, was a superb volleyball and basketball player before focusing on football in college.

Was named to the Sports Network's I-AA Mid-Major All-America Team in 2004, recording 54 receptions for 894 yds. and 7 TDs, and earned team MVP honors. Also received first-team All-Pioneer Football League honors in 2002, hauling in a team-high 57 receptions for 907 yd and 10 TDs, which included a game vs. Valparaiso in which he set a USD and PFL record with 5 TDs. Missed the 2003 season with a knee injury. Notched 116 receptions for 1,894 yards and 17 touchdowns in his 3seasons.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent by the Philadelphia Eagles. Played for Cologne in NFLEurope in 2006 and had 17 catches for 205 yards then returned to Philly.

Since Gasperson joined the practice squad in the beginning of the 2005 season, 43 different players - excluding Gasperson - have filled the slots on the squad. In the 2006 preseason he caught five passes for 63 yards, and this year, he caught seven for 79. Sunday, Dec. 23, 2007, was his first chance to get a catch in an official NFL game, but oddly enough, it could have come while Gasperson was playing tight end. Gasperson actually will fill the roster spot left open when linebacker Takeo Spikes is placed on injured reserve, but one of the major reasons he got the call is that the health of tight ends Matt Schobel and L.J. Smith is in question. Was cut by the Eagles 4 days later to sign a guy who wouldn't even be able to cover him (5-9, 184-pound cornerback Tanard Davis), then re-signed Gasperson on January 2, 2008.

Hasn't played a snap in a regular season game despite being lauded for his size, speed, hands, and toughness.

Matt Cutaia 5-11, 184; Draft class of 2005; Connecticut; ran a 4.35 and a 4.37 40 at UConn's Pro Day.

Caught 44-545-1 as a senior in 2004 for the Connecticut Huskies. In 34 career games with the Huskies, Cutaia accumulated 80 receptions for 1,047 yards and three touchdowns. A starter in all four of his seasons in Storrs, Conn., his career was hampered by season-ending injuries in 2002 and 2003. Cutaia was healthy throughout his senior season and put together the most productive season of his career.

Regarded as one of the fastest players to ever suit up for the Huskies.

On Monday, June 6, 2005, as an undrafted rookie free agent had a try-out with the Buffalo Bills. Also tried out with the Hamilton Tigercats of the CFL. Never signed with an NFL team. Is now an assistant coach at Hobart College in Division III.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Andy Fantuz 6-4, 220 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Western Ontario (Canada); ran a 4.52 at the NFL Combine. Was compared to Marques Colston (which was a supposed insult at the time), but unlike Colston has never gotten a chance in the NFL.

Won the Hec Creighton award as the best player in CIS football in 2005. Was the CIS Rookie of the Year in 2002. Named 1st Team All-Canadian three times (2002, '04, '05) and second team in 2003. Was a Two-time Team MVP. Holds the CIS single-season receiving yards record and the CIS career receiving yards, touchdowns and receptions records. Selected to play in the 2006 East-West Shrine Game.

Undrafted by the NFL, but was drafted to the CFL(third overall) by the Saskatchewan Roughriders. In his first year with the Riders, he had 30 catches for 408 yards, 3 receiving touchdowns, and 1 rushing touchdown. In 2007, caught 56 passes for 978 yards and 7 touchdowns in the regular season. Led the CFL in receiving in the playoffs en route to helping Saskatchewan win the Grey Cup, with 16 catches for 263 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Troy Bergeron 6-2, 180 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Never played a down of college football. Runs a 4.3 40, as stated by the Atlanta Falcons, among others.

Bergeron started his professional football career in 2004 with the Columbus Wardogs of af2, becoming the youngest player ever to play in the league at 20 years old. He caught 77 passes for 1,220 yards with 26 touchdowns, despite not playing in the team's first four games. Was the third Wardog player to reach 1,000 yards receiving.

The following year, 2005, Bergeron was the youngest player in the AFL at 21 years old. He ended his amazing, storybook season with 105 receptions for 1,372 yards and 31 touchdowns. His 1,372 receiving yards set a new League single-season record, while his 105 catches are tied for 2nd all-time in a single-season for a rookie. Named AFL Rookie of the Year in 2005.

Wasn't invited to the NFL Combine (compare that to the parallel story of black QB Adrian McPherson who had a similar outstanding 1-year stint in the AFL before being invited to the Combine and drafted in the 5th round by the Saints).

Undrafted, Bergeron was signed to a rookie free-agent contract by the Falcons. Despite looking very impressive in training camp, Bergeron got virtually no playing time in the pre-season and was cut.

Returned to the Georgia Force in 2007, catching 133 balls for 1,756 yards and 41 touchdowns. Returned 16 kicks for 294 yards and 1 touchdown. Is still trying to figure out what it takes to get a shot at the NFL.

Mike Hass 6-1, 208 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Oregon State; ran a 4.59 at the Combine; also posted times of 4.15 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.97 in the 3-cone drill; vertical jump of 32 inches; broad jump of 9-8; one of just two receivers who DID NOT drop a pass during drills (David Anderson); at Oregon State's Pro Day ran a 4.58 40, posted a time of 6.52 in the 3-cone drill, and had a 36.5 inch vertical jump.

A former walk-on, left OSU as a consensus All-American, the best receiver in school history and the nation's top receiver. The 2005 Biletnikoff Award winner, set virtually every school receiving record including 220 catches for 3,924 yards (17.8 avg.) and tied for OSU's top mark in receiving touchdowns with 20. Became the first Pac-10 receiver and just the 10th in NCAA history to gain over 1,000 yards in three different seasons. As a senior, caught 90 passes for 1,532 yards, a 17-yard avg. with 6 touchdowns. Led nation in receiving yards on his way to first-team all-American and consensus Pac-10 honors. As a junior, was a third-team All-American and first-team All-Pac 10 with 1,379 yards on 86 catches and 7 touchdowns, finishing third in the nation and first in the Pac-10 for receiving yards per game at 114.9. Burst on the scene as a sophomore, when he hauled in 44 passes for 1,013 yards (23.0 avg.) and 7 touchdowns.

Played in the 81st annual East-West Shrine game and caught 4 passes for 107 yards and the game-winning touchdown.

Drafted in the sixth round (#171 overall) by the New Orleans Saints, just the second-ever Biletnikoff winner to not be drafted in the first two rounds. Cut after drawing nothing but praise from coaches, teammates, and the media in training camp. Signed to the Bears practice squad where he remained all season. In 2007, once again shined during training camp and "never dropped a pass" and impressed during the preseason when allowed to touch the field.

Was on the active roster for the entire season in 2007, yet was put on the inactive list for every game and hasn't played a snap in an NFL regular season game.

Jeremy Bloom 5-9, 180-pounds; Draft class of 2006; Colorado; clocked at 4.48 in the 40-yard dash at the National Scouting Combine, less than a week after competing in the 2006 Winter Games, but he is reported to have run sub 4.3 40s multiple times at CU and in personal workouts after the combine; bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times.

Bloom left his mark by accounting for five touchdowns of 75 yards or more on pass receptions, punt and kickoff returns in just 24 games, due to the NCAA ruling that his professional skiing career voided his eligiblity.

In 2003, he was an all-around weapon, as for the season he had 80 touches for 1,286 yards, or 16.1 per touch. In 2002, was named first Team Freshman All-American, and third team All-American; longest punt return in Big 12 championship history, an 80-yard touchdown against Oklahoma; longest pass reception in University of Colorado history (94-yard touchdown against Kansas State) on his first career catch; first punt return of his career (and his first career touch at CU) came in 2002 against Colorado State and was a 75-yard touchdown.
Additionally, in March 2003, he won the 30th annual Superstars Competition in Jamaica; he defeated 9 professional athletes in the competition, of which all had to choose 7 of 10 events to participate. Bloom excelled, including wins in the half-mile run and the 100-yard dash (which he accomplished in 9.41 seconds).
Regarded as the fastest player on the Buffaloes by both the coaches and his teammates.

Drafted in the fifth round (#147 overall) by the Philadelphia Eagles. Has never appeared in an NFL regular or postseason game. Signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers on January 11, 2008.

Ed Hinkel 6-1, 190 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Iowa; At the Combine, ran back to back times in the low-4.5s for an average 4.53 40 and posted the top shuttle time of all the receivers at the Combine for the 2006 Draft, also had a 36-inch vertical and a 10-foot-1 broad jump.

Four-year starter and an All-Conference honoree. Started eight games as a senior, missing time with a wrist injury and three games with a broken arm. Senior numbers included 40/518/7 and 1 rush for a 20-yard touchdown after career-best receiving totals as a junior of 63/744/7. Ended his college career with two touchdown catches in the Outback Bowl. Productive return man.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Baltimore Ravens on March 23, 2006 but was cut on May 15, 2006 after reportedly failing a physical. Signed with the Colts on Friday, June 9, 2006 and drew glowing praise from the coaching staff but was cut on September 3, 2006. Hasn't been seen since then.

David Anderson 5-10, 194 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Colorado State; ran a 4.53 at the Combine; posted a time of 6.88 in the 3-cone drill; Vertical jump of 34.5 inches; broad jump of 9-9; one of just two receivers who didn't drop a pass during drills (Mike Hass).

A first-team All-Conference and third-team All-American, ended his career as CSU's all-time leading receiver with 200 receptions for 3,330 yards and 15 100-yard receiving games, and ranked third all-time at CSU with 20 touchdown catches. Led the Rams in receiving as a sophomore, junior, and senior. As a senior, posted team-highs with 86 catches for 1,221 yards and 8 touchdowns, including an 82-yard touchdown. As a junior, led team with 57 catches for 940 yards while adding 2 touchdowns. Exploded as a sophomore, leading the Rams in every receiving category and setting school single-season records with 72 catches for 1,293 yards on 72 catches for a total of 9 touchdowns, including a career-high 86-yard catch and run.

Drafted by the Houston Texans in the seventh round (#251 overall). Considered "too slow" to play in the NFL, has shined every time he's been given an opportunity. Bouncing on and off the active roster in two seasons with the Texans, he has appeared in 15 games (mostly on special teams) but has managed to catch 13 balls for 158 yards and 1 touchdown. Has also returned 3 kickoffs for an average of 30 yards per return.

Andy Wellendorf 6-5, 217 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Mount St. Joseph's (Division III); 4.56 40; 37-inch vertical. Wasn't invited to the Combine, but showed up any way and spoke with several head coaches.

Led College of Mount St. Joseph in catches and yards all four years of his career, and in scoring as a freshman and a junior. He totaled 188 catches for 3,272 yards, and 48 touchdowns and holds virtually every receiving record in the school's history.

Undrafted in the 2006 NFL Draft but "invited to workout" by the Bengals. Reports had Wellendorf having a "great" workout with the Bengals and did not drop a pass (was catching balls from Doug Johnson). Afterwards, he had lunch with WR coach Hue Jackson... but he didn't get a contract.

"I never thought about it much when I was playing," said Wellendorf in an interview afterwards. "But I know that I can play in the league if I just get a chance somewhere."

Matt Miller 6-2, 176 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Arizona State; speed measurables?

Athletic deep-ball threat became an explosive target for ASU quarterbacks during his career. Saved his best game for his last, catching 5 balls for 135 yards and 2 touchdowns against Rutgers in the Insight Bowl. Became a weapon in ASU's passing game as a senior, establishing career-highs in receiving yards (563) and touchdowns (seven) on just 24 catches, a 23-yard average per catch.

Played in 47 career games, starting eight. Had 68 career receptions for 1333 yards and 11 touchdowns. Led the team in yards per reception during two seasons in his career, and averaged 19.6 yards per catch overall. Had five career 100-yard games. Had a career-high seven receptions at Iowa in 2003. Had career-bests of 139 yards receiving and three touchdowns against Washington in 2005.

Undrafted and completely ignored.

Brian Hare 6-2, 192; Draft class of 2006; Purdue; Ran a 4.51 and a 4.52 40 at Purdue's Pro Day; posted a time of 6.59 seconds in the 3-cone drill which was the 8th fastest of any player available in the 2006 draft, only .07 seconds slower than Mike Hass who was number two; also posted a 4.08 20-yard shuttle; Vertical jump of 35 inches; broad jump of 9-4.

As a senior, he struggled, catching 12 balls for 98 yards. As a junior, appeared in all 12 games as reserve. Had 13 receptions for 388 yards (26.0 average) and three touchdowns. Hauled in 75-yard touchdown pass on first ball thrown to him vs. Syracuse on Sept. 5. Recorded season highs of three receptions for 97 yards, including 80-yard touchdown strike, vs. Arizona State in Sun Bowl on Dec. 31. Signed with Purdue in January 2004 but did not enroll in school then re-signed in February. Caught 34 passes for 642 yards (18.9 average) and four touchdowns as sophomore at Pima Junior College, ranked fourth in Western States Football League in receptions and yards. Went to Harper (Ill.) Community College as freshman in 2002 and had 80 receptions.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Indianapolis Colts on May 1, 2006. Was cut then re-signed and allocated to NFL Europe in 2007 but the league folded. The Colts cut him on August 28, 2007.

James Lukowiak 6-1, 201 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Southern Connecticut State; Ran a 4.38 40 at his Pro Day; also posted times of 4.06 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.98 in the 3-cone drill; Vertical jump of 34.5 inches; broad jump 9-4.

His 4.38 forty at his Pro Day was in the top 10 fastest times of all draft eligible players in 2006. To put that in perspective, that same year Devin Hester ran a 4.35 at his Pro Day, and Reggie Bush ran a 4.37. Lukowiak's time of 4.06 seconds in the short shuttle time was among the 20 fastest times, ahead of Bush and Hester.

In 2005 as a senior, Lukowiak set eight team records including touchdown receptions in a season with 17 and touchdown receptions in a career with 40. Lukowiak also set the school record for receiving yards in a season with 1,311 yards on 63 receptions. He also set two New England Division II punt return records and has 4 career punt return TDs. He played in the Cactus Bowl, the Division II All-Star Game in Kingsville, Texas, where he led the East squad in receiving yards.

D2Football.com, Football Gazette, and Daktronics all named Lukowiak to their Division II All-American teams. He was named the NE-10 Conference Offensive Player of the Year and was the Boston Globe Gold Helmet Award recipient for the Most Outstanding Division II/III player in New England.

Recently signed with the Amarillo Dusters of ArenaFootball2.

Travis LaTendresse 6-1, 195 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Utah; ran a 4.53 and a 4.56 40 at Utah's Pro Day; also posted times of 4.33 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.84 in the 3-cone drill; Vertical jump of 38 inches; broad jump of 9-11.

Had an outstanding year for the Utes as a senior, snaring 55 receptions for 810 yards and 8 touchdowns, despite missing three games due to an ankle injury. As he got healthier, he got much better -- had 9 receptions for 192 yards against New Mexico in November, and in his final collegiate game absolutely smoked Georgia Tech's top notch secondary with 16 receptions for 214 yards and 4 touchdowns in the Emerald Bowl.

In 2004, played in all 12 games, starting in all but one and was third on the team in catches (27) and receiving yards (411). In 2003, played in all 12 games and started 10 and was third on team with 32 catches for 366 yards and 1 TD. Former walk-on.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Kansas City Chiefs on June 6, 2006. Was cut on May 19. Signed by the Ravens on June 7, 2006 but was cut on September 2. Signed on December 4, 2006 with the Las Vegas Gladiators (AFL). As a rookie, caught 61 balls for 937 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Justin Gallas 6-1, 185 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Colorado School of Mines; regarded as having game-breaking speed and elusiveness, but I couldn't find confirmed numbers... speed measurables?

AN RMAC Wide Receiver of the Year, has been a game-breaker since his freshman year. Is not only a top receiver but is also a dangerous return man.

Gallas, who was a First Team All-RMAC pick at wide receiver and a unanimous selection as a kick returner, finished the 2005 season with 91 catches for 1,199 yards and eight scores and also returned 41 kicks for a school-record 1,256 yards and a score. Led all of Division II in all-purpose yards (236.5 ypg) and receptions per game (8.3 rpg), was fourth in kickoff returns (30.9 ypr) and seventh in receiving yards per game (109.0 ypg). Gallas finished his career at CSM with school records in receptions (266), receiving yards (3,562) and all-purpose yards (5,701). Was named the First Team All-RMAC, First Team All-Purpose Player for the AP Little All-America team and multiple other All-America teams. In 2004, caught 95 balls for 1,352 yards and 10 touchdowns (104 yards per game).

Matt Shelton 5-11, 180 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Notre Dame; ran his 40s in 4.54 and 4.41; also posted times of 4.20 in the short shuttle and 6.77 in the three-cone drill; Vertical jump of 30.5 inches; 9-foot-7 broad jump; bench pressed 225 pounds 16 times. Also posted times of 4.43 and 4.42 in the 40 on other occasions.

Was a deep play threat for Notre Dame. Played in 46 games over four seasons (2002-05) and finished his collegiate career ranked sixth in Notre Dame history by averaging 18.9 yards per reception. Averaged 40.6 yards per touchdown catch in his career (seven for 284 yards). In 2004 set the single-season mark for yards per catch, averaging 25.75 yards per reception. Made 20 catches for 515 yards and a team-high six touchdown receptions that season. 515 yards was second on the team. Battled injuries in 2005, but still had 27 receptions for 304 yards as a 3rd receiver.

Undrafted, but, was signed as a free agent by the Patriots on May 8, 2006. Cut due to injury and hasn't been seen since.

Chris Denney 6-3, 224 pounds; Draft class of 2006; Nebraska-Omaha; ran a 4.65 40 at the Combine; also posted times of 4.36 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and 7.03 in the 3-cone drill; Vertical jump of 33 inches; broad jump of 9-2.

Former walk-on who moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore. Was a two-time First Team All-Conference selection. As a senior, led his team with 38 catches for 783 yards and 8 touchdowns. Finished his college career ranked third in school history with 2,445 receiving yards.

Undrafted, but was signed by Buffalo as a free agent on May 5, 2006. He participated in Buffalo's 2006 training camp before being released on August 28th. After being re-signed by the Bills in the 2007 offseason, Denney was allocated to NFL Europe but tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during its training camp.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Eric Deslauriers 6-4, 208 pounds; Draft class of 2007; Eastern Michigan; Ran a 4.50 40 at Eastern Michigan's Pro Day. Also posted times of 4.18 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.60 in the 3-cone drill. Vertical jump of 35.5 inches; broad jumped 9-8. Only seven NFL teams had scouts in attendance.

Completed his EMU career with school records for touchdown receptions (27), receptions (248) and receiving yards (3,250) and holds every significant receiving record at Eastern Michigan. Was the first Eagle wide receiver to earn All-MAC Conference First Team honors since Kevin Walters in 2002. Deslauriers has turned in 14 career 100-yard reception games and caught passes in 35 consecutive games. Caught 74 balls for 898 yards and 5 touchdowns as a senior. As a junior, snagged 75-874-8. As a sophomore had a breakout season, with 84-1257-13.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers on April 30, 2007. Was cut on June 28 of the same year. Signed with Montreal of the CFL and had 23 catches for 325 yards and a touchdown as a rookie in '07.

Chad Schroeder 6-1, 182 pounds; Draft class of 2007; Texas A&M; Ran an average time of 4.50 on his 40s at Texas A&M's Pro Day. Also posted times of 4.09 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.82 in the 3-cone drill. Vertical jump of 35 inches; broad jumped 9-4; bench pressed 225-pounds 11 times.

As a senior, led the Aggies in every receiving category with 37 catches for 576 yards and 3 touchdowns while starting every game. Was also the team's primary punt returner, with 18 returns for 154 yards and a 30-yard long. As a junior, scored touchdowns on his first five touches of the season - four by catch and one by rush. Snagged 20 balls for 335 yards and five touchdowns in an injury-shortened season. Broke his leg in the eighth game of the year, and missed the rest of the season. Also held on kicks. Showed flashes of his big-play ability as a sophomore, with 4 catches for 135 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Was regarded as the fastest player on the Aggies by both his coaches and his teammates.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent contract with the San Diego Chargers on April 30, 2007. Left the team on June 10 of the same year.

Scott Mayle 6-1, 178 pounds; Draft class of 2007; Ohio; Ran a 4.38 40 for Buffalo's scouts after missing his Pro Day to run in the NCAA Indoor Track Championships.

An All-American long jumper, placed fourth in the long jump at the NCAA Championships. Named USTFCCCA Great Lakes Region Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Year. Finished first in the long jump at the MAC Championships, recording a new MAC meet record, a new school record and an NCAA automatic qualifying mark (26-01.00). Placed second in the 60-meter dash at the MAC Championships. Received All-MAC first-team honors and the 2007 Most Outstanding Performance award. Posted a new school record in the 60-meter dash (6.71).

He finished his college career fourth in school history with 107 receptions, second in receiving yards with 1,847 yards, and third with 11 touchdowns. He also served as the team's primary kick returner. As a senior, caught 28 balls for a team-high 411 yards in a primarily running offense. As a junior, had 21-338-3. As a sophomore, caught 33-583-4.

Was regarded as one of the fastest athletes in college football.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent contract with the Buffalo Bills on May 7, 2007. After bouncing off and on the practice squad, was signed to the Bills active roster on December 29, 2007 but was inactive for the final game of the year.

Johnny Quinn 6-0, 200 pounds; Draft class of 2007; North Texas; despite being injured with a dislocated tendon in his ankle that required surgery after the season, ran a 4.54 40 at North Texas' Pro Day; ran a 4.44 40 at UT-Arlington's Pro Day after recovering from his ankle surgery.

Holds every significant receiving record in North Texas history despite playing in a run-first offense that produced two national rushing champions in his four years. Quinn finished his career with 187 catches for 2,706 yards (14.4 avg.) and 21 touchdowns. He had the third longest active reception streak in the country with a catch in 47 straight games despite playing much of his senior season with a broken hand. He also served as the team's primary kick and punt returner. First team all-conference as a senior, as well as team MVP, and offensive player of the year.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent contract with the Buffalo Bills on May 3, 2007. Was cut on July 23. signed a contract with the Green Bay Packers on January 27, 2008.

Logan Payne 6'2, 204 pounds; Draft class of 2007; Minnesota; ran a 4.58 40 at Minnesota's Pro Day. Also posted times of 4.17 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.81 in the 3-cone drill. Vertical jump of 39 inches; broad jumped 10-0; bench pressed 225 pounds 16 times. At a second Pro Day, lowered his 40 to 4.51, his 20-yard shuttle to 4.08, and his 3-cone drill to 6.66.

Emerged as a solid player for the Golden Gophers as a junior before becoming their primary passing target as a senior. As a senior, caught 54 balls for 804 yards and 9 touchdowns; also had 11 carries for 70 yards. As a junior, snared 37-529-2 with 1 carry for 11 yards.

Undrafted, but signed a free agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks on April 29, 2007. After bouncing on and off the Seahawks practice squad, was signed to the active roster on January 1, 2008 but was inactive for the teams final two games.

Jeff Samardzija 6-5, 216; Draft class of 2007; Notre Dame; estimated 40 time of 4.50. Chose to play professional baseball over the NFL.

Samardzija completely re-wrote the Irish receiving record book. He owns the school record for career receptions (171), career receiving touchdowns (26) and career receiving yards (2,534), single season receiving yards (1,249), and single season receiving touchdowns (15).

A Walter Camp second team All-American, Football Writers Association of America first team All-American, and Biletnikoff finalist in 2006. In 2005 was a consensus first-team All-American: was a first-team All-America selection by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, ESPN and the All-American Football Foundation; a second-team All-America selection by the Associated Press, the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and the Walter Camp Football Foundation. Was one of three finalists for the 2005 Biletnikoff Award, given annually to college football's top wide receiver.

As a senior, led Notre Dame with 70 catches, 958 yards and 11 touchdown passes. As a junior, set a Notre Dame single-season record for yards receiving (1,249) and TD catches (15). The first Notre Dame receiver since 1970 (Tom Gatewood) and the third Irish pass catcher ever to gain 1,000 yards receiving in a single season.

Bobby Chase 6-4, 205; Draft class of 2007; SMU; SMU reports him running a 4.5 40, but I couldn't find this confirmed elsewhere.

Named SMU's offensive MVP as a sophomore and a junior. Totaled 100 receptions for 1,615 yards and 7 touchdowns as a Mustang. As a senior, was second on team with 37 catches for 507 yards and 3 touchdowns. As a junior, had team highs with 39-625 and 4 touchdowns. As a sophomore, led team with 31 catches for 483 yards.

Undrafted, but signed with Montreal of the CFL. Was inactive in 2007.

Aaron Fairooz 6-6, 209 pounds; Draft class of 2007; Central Arkansas; Ran a 4.49 at the Combine; also posted numbers of 4.27 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.89 in the 3-cone drill; Vertical jump of 36 inches; broad jump of 10-5.

Set virtually every receiving record in school history, including single-season receptions (76), single-season receiving yards (1,197) single-game catches (13), career yards (2,797), and is second in career receptions (186) and career touchdown catches (26). Named to two All-America teams in 2006, while in '05 was 1st-team all GSC and DIIFootball.com 1st-team All-American. In 2006, he caught 55 passes in 11 games for 774 yards (14.1 average) and six touchdowns. As a junior in 2005, Fairooz played in all 14 contests and caught 76 passes for 1,197 yards (15.8 average) and 12 touchdowns. In 2004, played in all 11 games and caught 51 passes for 778 yards (15.3 average) and eight touchdowns.

Dusty Hovorka 6-2, 206 pounds; Draft class of 2007; Sioux Falls; speed measurables?

Was a three-time All-American selection and is the only receiver in USF history to record over 1,000 receiving yards as a freshman, sophomore, junior and senior. Set a USF single season record for touchdowns receiving by scoring 19 times on the way to the national championship in 2006. Added 76 receptions and 1,304 yards during the 2006 campaign. Tallied a record 291 receptions during his career with the Cougars. Also accounted for 4,801 yards and 55 touchdowns in his Cougar career, which are also USF and Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) records. Was named to the All-GPAC First Team in 2004, 2005, and 2006 and was named to the Associated Press Little America Third-Team after the 2006 season.
As a junior, caught 73 passes for 1,132 yards and 14 touchdowns. As a sophomore, totaled 76 catches, for 1,191 yards and 11 touchdowns. As a freshman, caught 66 balls for 1,174 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Undrafted and completely ignored by the NFL. Last seen playing in one game for the Sioux Falls Storm of the United Indoor Football League, whatever that is.

Jesse Wendt 6-3, 225 pounds; 2007 NFL Draft class of 2007; UW-Stout; at his Pro Day, ran back-to-back 4.28 40s in the 40-yard dash. As a reference, wikipedia.org cites the fastest time officially recorded by the NFL as 4.29 seconds in 1989 by Deion Sanders. Bench pressed 225 pounds 32 times.

As a senior with a running quarterback, led team with 35 catches for 403 yards. In 2005, led team with 54 catches for 702 yards and 11 touchdowns. Was a 26-year old graduate.

Undrafted, but signed as a rookie free agent with the Redskins on April 30, 2007. Was cut. No sign of him since.

David Ball 6-1, 196 pounds; Draft class of 2007; New Hampshire; has run the 40 everywhere between 4.58 and 4.74; at his Pro Day also posted times of 3.97 in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.59 in the 3-cocne drill (those are elite numbers); Vertical jump of 33 inches; broad jump of 10-0.

A multiple First-Team All-American, is the NCAA Division I-AA record holder for career touchdown receptions (58) shattering the record formerly held by Jerry Rice as well as breaking every significant school receiving record including catches, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns in a game, season, and career. Also tied Rice's I-AA career mark for 100-yard receiving games (23) and finished 2nd with 4,655 receiving yards (Rice, 4,693) on school-record 304 catches. AFCA All-American and an Associated Press first-team All-American during senior and junior seasons. Was a three-time Walter Camp All-American and first-team All-Atlantic 10 selection. As a senior, broke own school single-season record with 93 receptions for 1,114 yards, his third-straight campaign topping the 1,000-receing yards mark, with a conference-high 13 TD receptions. As a junior, led I-AA with 1,551 receiving yards and 24 TD receptions on 87 catches. Totaled 1,504 receiving yards on 81 catches with 17 touchdowns as a sophomore. Was a high jumper for the New Hampshire track team.

Played in the East-West Shrine Game and had game-highs with 3 catches for 80 yards.

Undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Chicago Bears on April 30, 2007. Despite shining in training camp and in the preseason was cut on September 1. Bounced on and off the Bears practice until September 25 when he was cut for the final time. Signed to the Jets practice squad on November 28, 2007 then to their active roster on December 29, but was inactive for the team's final game of the season. Has not appeared in a single NFL game.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Of course, the Caste System isn't limited to just wide receivers. here is a quickly compiled list of tailbacks and defensive backs.

Running backs:
Nick Hartigan
Tre Smith
Cory Koenig
Kyle Steffes
Sean Mizzer
Adam Ballard
Dan Burks
Justin Boyle
Jayson Bird
Josiah Sears
Brandon Hancock
Brandon Leone
Ryan Kock
Ed Pricolo
Jesse Lumsden
Chance Kretschmer
Chad Brinker
Zak Keasey
Josh Davis
Roger "the rabbit" Robinson
JR Niklos
Eric Crouch
Josh Ranek
Chris Morgan
Ryan Englebert
Rob Konrad
Brock Forsey
Luke Staley
Bradlee Van Pelt
Dan Pugh
Matthew Tant
Dusty Stamer
Sean Bennett
Dusty McGrorty
Tom Pace
Matt Kinsinger
Kevin McDougal
Travis Sims

Defensive backs:
Ben Stratton cb
Joe Fleskoski
Jay Staggs
Dustin Lopez cb
Kayle Buchanan cb
Brandon Heaney cb
Nate Soelberg cb
Joe Stellmacher
Zach Catanese cb
A.J. Martinez cb
Dustin Utschig
Rocky Schwartz
Daniel Charbonnet cb
Andrew Shanle cb
Tuff Harris cb
Josh Golden cb
Jacob Patek
Josh Sherley
Cody Ellis cb
Ryan Allison cb
Jaxson Appel
Nick Turnbull cb
Andrew Pace cb
Jeremy Unertl cb
Anthony Scirotto
Tony LeZotte
Scott Ware
Jake Patten
Ethan Kilmer cb
John McGraw cb
Kevin McAdam
Nick Sorensen
Tony Bua
Mitch Meeuwsen
Raymond Bubba Ventrone
Shawn Mayer
Justin Beriault
Rob Lee cb/safety
Mike Lorello
Chris Kern cb
Tony Lukins cb
Wes Hostetler cb
Jeremy Thornburg
Rich Coady
Lynn Scott
Andrew Guman
Evan Hlavacek cb
Brian Sump cb
Chris Angel cb
Eddie Canonico cb
Tim Dodge cb
Ryan Bowers cb
Matt Forbes cb
Rob Milanese cb
Justin Skaggs cb
Hal Hula cb
Jeff Backes cb

I can think of three guys just on the Vikings alone that should still be playing WR in the NFL, Nick Davis, Ben Nelson & Aaron Hosack. Of course aside from Nick Davis getting half a season as a return specialist, none of them were ever given much of a shot at playing on Sundays. Hosack is currently in the Arena league, not sure what became of the other two.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
my compilations obviously don't include candidates from the 2008 Draft Class that the Caste System will screw over. but the talented white athletes that will be subjected to it this year are abundant.

also, while reading the list, please notice how many PHENOMENAL talents were Caste aside. then, take a few moments to wonder why much less talented white players manage to stick around...

it makes you think.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
reclaimsocal said:
I can think of three guys just on the Vikings alone that should still be playing WR in the NFL, Nick Davis, Ben Nelson & Aaron Hosack. Of course aside from Nick Davis getting half a season as a return specialist, none of them were ever given much of a shot at playing on Sundays. Hosack is currently in the Arena league, not sure what became of the other two.

Ben Nelson is currently dominating in the Arena League. he was Rookie of the Year in 2006.

i completely forgot about Nick Davis, a speedster from Wisconsin if i recall correctly now.

G

Jimmy Chitwood said:
Kevin Kasper 6-1, 202 pounds; Draft class of 2001; Iowa; Ran a 4.42 40 at the Combine; also set three all-time NFL combine speed records:

Fastest 20 yard shuttle overall: Kevin Kasper (Iowa) 3.73 all-time record;

Fastest 60 yard shuttle overall: Kevin Kasper (Iowa) 10.43 all-time record;

Fastest 3 cone overall: Kevin Kasper (Iowa) 6.56 all-time record

Nothing against Kevin Kasper, butParisi Speed School floats this false stat to advertise their training program. The 60 yard shuttle is rarely ever run, and his 6.56 3 cone drill speed is only tied for 7th fastest since 2000.

6.45 - Sedrick Curry
6.48 - Rogers Beckett
6.49 - Carlos Rogers
6.50 - Leon Hall
6.51 - Jon McGraw
6.54 - Anthony Gonzalez
6.56 - Ben Taylor
6.56 - Kevin Kasper

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great stuff JC! I know you put a ton of time into this, and it is great to have it all in one thread! My hat is off to you Sir!
smiley32.gif

I had the pleasure of watching in person several of those WRs, Bill Flowers, Abram Booty, Cory Peterson, David Anderson, Trey Fryfogle, Aaron Boone, Dan Stricker, Derek Abney, Tom Crowder, Travis LaTendresse, and Aaron Fairooz. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow... great work, Jimmy, but man... talk about depressing.
smiley5.gif