The man who beat Wladimir and Vitaly Klitschko

werewolf

Hall of Famer
The man who beat Wladimir and Vitaly Klitschko

By Ognian Georgiev / Bulgaria Today
Alexey Lezin is the only man to beat both Wladimir and Vitaly Klitschko. The Russian is well known in the amateur boxing world. He won the World super-heavyweight (+91 kg) title in Berlin 1995 and was three times European champion. Lezin finished in third place at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, where was beaten in the semifinal by Wladimir Klitschko. Also among his victims is another former heavyweight champ Nikolay Valuev, who was beaten twice by Alexey Lezin. The former boxing star, now 41, is not involved in boxing anymore. He is working as head engineer in Ulyanovsk.
Mr. Lezin, your last win against Wladimir Klitschko was during the European championships in Vejle, Denmark, in 1996 (6:1). What do you remember from this fight?
It wasn’t the only time I fought with him. We have four fights and the verdict is two wins and two losses. When I beat him, I did just what I was able to and it was a success.
You met him once again in Atlanta Olympics. What was the reason for your loss (1:4)?
The bout didn’t flow in my favor. The judges didn’t score some points. It was their decision. I was a little sick, so these were the reasons.
Why is Wladimir Klitschko so superior over the heavyweight contenders right now?
He is very experienced. Even since the amateur years Wladimir was well trained. The most important is that he is very steady. Never shows hesitation, which is a key point in the heavyweight division. His mentality is solid.
You beat twice Vitaly Klitschko by huge margins of 10:1 (World military championships 1994) and 12:3 (In the final of World championships 1995). How were you so convincing?
At that moment Vitaly was more experienced. He was older then me and had more bouts. But I was able to beat him. Probably I was better mentally prepared for the bouts.
Why have Wladimir and Vitaly never managed to win the respect of American fans?
Their boxing isn’t so attractive and is not so interesting for the audience, but at the same time is very effective. Probably this is the reason.
Do you regret that you didn’t turn professional?
Now I don’t give a damn. Maybe I made a mistake years ago, but currently it doesn’t matter. This is how the things happened.
Wladimir Klitschko will defend his titles on November 15 against Kubrat Pulev. Your expectations about the bout?
Pulev must show strength mentally, because Klitschko has experience. The Bulgarian needs to sustain the first two-three rounds. It will be а psychological game who will be able to trick the other one. At one moment the punches will start to land. For Pulev is very important to fight his own style, because if Klitschko applies his style noting good will come out for Pulev.
Last year your countryman and former rival at Russian super-heavyweight championships Alexander Povetkin lost convincingly to Wladimir Klitschko. What is your opinion for this match?
I expected such a fight. Povetkin could choose other tactics. It’s the same for Pulev if he wants to win. The Bulgarian needs to use a different game plan, not the same one he fought in his previous bouts. Wladimir is fighting very different from American or European fighters. You need a special preparation – physical, psychological and tactical in order to beat him. The most important thing for those two or three months preparation before the fight is to reach another level of condition. If you are able to sustain mentally the first two-three rounds, then the win will come. Wladimir Klitschko’s previous opponents walked into the ring doomed to failure.
What is your current occupation?
I am working in a company which don’t have anything in common with sports.
Why you didn’t stay in sport as a coach or something like that?
Our functionaries, who are running the boxing operations don’t need to make sport. I would stand on their way. This is why I’m not needed. I would like to hand over my experience, but I’m discarded.
————
Ognian Georgiev is a Bulgarian sports journalist and author of the book The White Prisoner: Galabin Boevski’s Secret Story. You may find more about him on his blog: http://ogigeorgiev.wordpress.com/

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/the-man-who-beat-wladimir-and-vitaly-klitschko-260229

Lezin.Alexei.jpg

Alexey Lezin

Last edited:

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Well one thing is clear, Lezin was an outstanding boxer.

He was asked why the Klitschkos aren't more popular and gave a reason. The real reason is that the Klitschkos are white. Having white champions does not fit the leftist agenda so they don't give the Klitschkos the credit they deserve in the sports media, which the leftists control.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Well one thing is clear, Lezin was an outstanding boxer.

He was asked why the Klitschkos aren't more popular and gave a reason. The real reason is that the Klitschkos are white. Having white champions does not fit the leftist agenda so they don't give the Klitschkos the credit they deserve in the sports media, which the leftists control.
After all, you only need to look as far as Floyd Mayweather. His boxing style is ultra-boring, yet he is loved and adored. He would be mocked if he was white. Look at Joe Calzaghe, one of the greatest pound-for-pound boxers in history, given no respect for some reason......

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Absolutely correct on both counts, EP.

FD - Also correct on both counts!

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Here's another great Russian heavyweight that you don't hear about, Igor Vysotsky, from the days before Russians and other eastern Europeans were allowed to turn pro.

Teofilo Stevenson is considered Cuba's greatest boxer ever. He was heavyweight Olympic gold medal winner three times, 1972, 76, and 80. He always wanted to fight Cassius Clay, but he was not permitted to do so. Igor Vysotsky fought him twice and beat him both times.

All those hyped up American Negro boxers of the past, like Cassius Clay, never fought one single Russian or eastern European or Cuban. There should be an asterisk next to their names because they weren't "world champions" at all.

Stevenson_and_Vysotsky._Rivals_no_longer.jpg

Vysotsky and Stevenson in later years when they became friends