The Legend of Joe Don Looney

Bronk

Mentor
If he had just had his head wired to his ass, we might be talking about Joe Don Looney as the greatest back in history instead of having to hear about Jim Brown. The problem is that Looney's primary claim to fame was as a natural rebel and it laid waste to all that football talent. All of you are familiar with John Riggins but there are a few of you who might know about Looney who at 6-1, 230 pounds was eerily similar to Riggins as both a player and a character but 10 years ahead of the Diesel. I first learned about Looney from my cousin who grew up with him in Fort Worth. Looney lived on Highview Terrace, just a short walk from the TCU campus and Amon Carter Stadium. My cousin lived across the way on Stadium Drive. They played football and ran track at Paschal High School.

Looney was a rarity for his time, a football player with sprinter speed (9.7) and shot-putter's strength. As a punter he could boom 70 yard kicks. His father, Don Looney, had been an end on TCU's 1938 national championship team where he was Davey O'Brien's favorite receiver and then played with the Eagles and the Steelers before WWII came along. As a high schooler, Joe Don became obsessed with physical fitness and became a workout fiend at a time when weight training was actually considered harmful for athletes. The only people who banged iron in the 1950s were juvenile delinquents and beach bums.

After high school, Joe Don enrolled at the University of Texas. He flunked out his first semester and moved back home with intentions of walking on the TCU football team. When he found out that he'd lose a year's eligibility due to SWC transfer rules, he packed up and headed to Cameron Junior College in Cameron, Oklahoma and led them to the 1961 JC National Championship and played in the Junior Rose Bowl.

In 1962 Looney moved on to the University of Oklahoma --the only junior college athlete ever recruited by Bud Wilkinson. In his first game, with the Sooners losing 3-0 to Syracuse late in the fourth quarter, he walked up to Wilkinson and said, "Put me in the game, and I'll win this SOB." Wilkinson decided to let him prove it, and that's exactly what he did. On Looney's first carry he took the ball 60 yards on a sweep and won the game for OU. That season he averaged 6.2 yards per carry as a halfback, dominated as a linebacker, and led the nation in punting with a 43.4 average and was named all-American. Joe Don spent the summer of 1963 in Baton Rouge training with Alvin Roy. Roy was renowned for producing Billy Cannon and was the earliest known steroid guru in football. There Looney popped Dianabol pills and put on 20 pounds of solid muscle bulking up to 230 pounds. But he played in only three games in 1963. Wilkinson kicked him off the team after Looney punched a graduate-assistant coach.

He was the New York Giants' 1st round draft selection in 1964. He was with the team 25 days often refusing to practice before the Giants traded him to the Baltimore Colts just before the start of the season. The Colts traded Looney to the Detroit Lions following the 1964 season. He put together one good season, racking up 114 carries for 356 yards and 5 touchdowns. That came to an end when Lions coach Harry Gilmer wanted Looney to carry in a play to the quarterback. Looney refused and told Gilmer "If you want a messenger boy, call Western Union. Detroit traded him to the Washington Redskins. On one play he was pass protecting for quarterback Sonny Jurgensen on a play, and decked a pass rusher with a right hook. In 1968, Looney was called up by the United States Army to go to Vietnam. There Joe Don became heavily involved in drugs while guarding fuel facilities When he returned to the States, he signed with the New Orleans Saints as a free agent. He had three carries for -3 yards with the Saints that year, and retired after the season.

After football Joe Don bought an old schooner, sailed the Pacific, indulged in Hinduism and dope. He eventually joined a swami in India. He left India in the early 1980s and returned to Texas, living in an octagon house in the Big Bend area. He was killed riding his motorcycle in 1988.

This is just a thumbnail sketch of his crazy life and those who never heard of him should look him up. J. Brent Clark wrote a fair biography of Looney called Third Down and Forever which is full of gaps and lacks a certain degree of insight into Looney, preferring to protect him than be too critical.

I met Joe Don Looney in the early 1980s and spent a lazy afternoon and evening drinking beer with him and trying to figure out how to fix an Indian motorcycle at my cousin's house in Fort Worth. I knew I'd heard his name before but couldn't place him.

199975593_o.jpg
Edited by: Bronk

foreverfree

Mentor
Bronk, it's a quarter century on, but do you remember how Mr. Looney behaved the day you hobnobbed with him?

John

Looney's problem was that he was ahead of his time. He lifted weights- a rarity for football players at this time. He was so big, people thought he was a line man. His sprinter speed was no accident. He would run a couple of miles every day. Again, football players raely did this. As for not practing with the team, that was a result of the OU team being runned down by heavy practices before a bowl game. Looney also put some thought in his diet. At a time when players were served steak all the time, he liked a diet with vegetable and fruit.
Nowadays, Loonie does not seem the head case, compared to today's runing backs. He was never arrested.
Loonie was ahead of his time.

Bronk

Mentor
foreverfree said:
Bronk, it's a quarter century on, but do you remember how Mr. Looney behaved the day you hobnobbed with him?

John

Yeah, like a pretty normal guy. I just had no clue who he was. The funny thing about him was that he was not the hulking football player you see in the photo. He was actually rather normal sized. I later found out it was due to the lean diet he took to as part of his Hinduism in the 1970s.

He and my cousin were fooling around with my cousin's old bike when I pulled up and I joined in. When we couldn't fix it, we moved inside and chit-chatted around the kitchen table then moved into the den and continued to talk until I left. Looney was spending the night. I hate to say it now, but at the time, I thought he was sort of a doofus.

Later I talked to my cousin and he reminded me that Looney was the guy in Lance Rentzel's book When All the Laughter Died in Sorrow which was where I had first heard of him.

It was a lost opportunity ... kinda like his football career.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Interesting story Bronk, thanks for sharing it.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Very cool Bronk, this would make a great movie!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bronk, you are full of cool info! Thanks for sharing the story with us. I have heard of Joe Don, but nothing detailed. Awesome!
smiley32.gif

Bronk

Mentor
There are lots of interesting tales to tell about Joe Don. My cousin knew him pretty well.

One interesting and obscure little tid bit that would interest folks here is that Looney was close friends at OU with John Flynn. Flynn was from Washington D.C. and was the brother of Dave Flynn. Dave was a close running buddy of Pat Buchanan's.

Weird that you could get from Looney to Buchanan in just two degrees!Edited by: Bronk

Bronk

Mentor
I'm going to augment this thread from time to time with Joe Don Looney stories. This is one of the most famous:

When Looney was playing for Detroit he was having a particularly good first half against the Atlanta Falcons. His running and pass catching had moved the Lions into scoring position. However, when Coach Harry Gilmer pulled him out, the Lions stalled. Facing a critical third-down situation, Gilmer tried to send Joe Don back into the fray with a play. "If you want a messenger," Looney told the coach, "call Western Union." Enraged, Gilmer suspended Looney at halftime.

203660828_o.jpg
Edited by: Bronk

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Awesome suspension helmet! Thanks for the story Bronk!

Bronk

Mentor
HA! Reb, I thought about you when I posted that shot.

Thanks for the kind words.

During about 1962-66, Joe Don Looney was a highly publicized football player. He was featured in Sport magazine in the November 1963 issue, about the time he was kicked off the Oklahoma team.

The Giants still drafted him No.1 that year. In training camp, Looney wouldn't take orders and was traded to the Baltimore Colts. Looney made one 58 yard TD run, but sat on the bench and punted during the 1964 season. He was traded to Detroit in 1965, as Colt owner Caroll Rosenbloom never kept around a player who caused any trouble. By the way, Looney was arrested during the 1964 season. He went into a rage when Barry Goldwater lost the 1964 Presidential race, and got into a fight.

Several years ago, I bought a tape of the highlights of a 1965 Lions-Rams game. Looney scored two touchdowns. On one, he swept left end from about the 15 yard line and sped around the defenders. On the other, he went right through the Ram front four (Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Lamar Lundy, Rosey Grier) and ran over Eddie Meador.

Unfortunately, Looney did not have the drive to play that way consistently. He bounced from team to team, each hoping he would play to his ability.

Bronk

Mentor
You are correct, sports historian. I have never seen tape of Looney on the field, any chance I could get a copy of that highlight reel?

Everyone wonders what made Looney the way he was. My cousin told me he thinks Joe Don was a pathological narcissist. He noted that as an only child from a well-to-do family, Joe Don was a momma's boy as a youngster. But when he started rounding into shape as a teenager he became something of a bully. If his biographer, J. Brent Clark, had taken a critical look at Looney he might have come to the same conclusion.

Incidently, both you and I stated that Looney was kicked off the OU football team for punching a grad assistant. That's actually not true, that was the excuse. Fact is, Looney puched the coach before the Texas game and was booted the day after #1 OU lost to #2 Texas 28-7 because Bud Wilkinson saw him as a disruption.

Bronk said:
You are correct, sports historian. I have never seen tape of Looney on the field, any chance I could get a copy of that highlight reel?

Everyone wonders what made Looney the way he was. My cousin told me he thinks Joe Don was a pathological narcissist. He noted that as an only child from a well-to-do family, Joe Don was a momma's boy as a youngster. But when he started rounding into shape as a teenager he became something of a bully. If his biographer, J. Brent Clark, had taken a critical look at Looney he might have come to the same conclusion.

Incidently, both you and I stated that Looney was kicked off the OU football team for punching a grad assistant. That's actually not true, that was the excuse. Fact is, Looney puched the coach before the Texas game and was booted the day after #1 OU lost to #2 Texas 28-7 because Bud Wilkinson saw him as a disruption.

Bronk,

A few days ago, I sent an email to the man who runs Rare sportsfilms and asked him if he still has this highlight reel. He said he has this film on DVD only. You can go to www.raresportsfilms.com. He gives an email address and a phone number (630-527-8890). Ask for the DVD of:

1965 "NFL Game Of The Week" (Week 7)
Detroit Lions vs. Los Angeles Rams

A few years ago, ESPN had several Colt highlight films. The 1964 film showed Looney's 58 yard TD run against the Bears. The film of the 1965 Lion-Ram game shows Looney at his best.