The head slap: was it ******* schtick?

foreverfree

Mentor
Or did White DL's use it as effectively and/or frequently as Blacks from Deacon on down?

John

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I don't know if we're thinking about the same thing, but I think it was a white innovation.

I saw a documentary about the Apollo moon missions and when the astronauts were strapped into their launch positions, their ground crewmen would slap the top of their helmets before sealing the hatch.

But before they slapped the helmet, they'd yell either "good luck, good hunting,"

or

"DONKEY-PUNCH."

foreverfree

Mentor
GiovaniMarcon said:
I don't know if we're thinking about the same thing, but I think it was a white innovation.

I don't think we are, Giovani. I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more legs.

Edit: Obviously, Giovani, you have not heard of the head slap, a defensive lineman's tactic (outlawed in the NFL around 1978) for overcoming, rather than giving a gesture of encouragement to
smiley36.gif
, his blocker. David "Deacon" Jones of the L.A. Rams' "Fearsome Foursome", who is black, was credited with perfecting this tactic.

John

Edited by: foreverfree

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
foreverfree said:
GiovaniMarcon said:

I don't think we are, Giovani. I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more legs.

Edit: Obviously, Giovani, you have not heard of the head slap, a defensive lineman's tactic (outlawed in the NFL around 1978) for overcoming, rather than giving a gesture of encouragement to
smiley36.gif
, his blocker. David "Deacon" Jones of the L.A. Rams' "Fearsome Foursome", who is black, was credited with perfecting this tactic.

John

smiley36.gif

The only reason I responded to the post was so that I could work in the "donkey punch" joke.

I was being facetious in correlating an illegal defensive tactic with an honorable "good luck" gesture given by NASA ground crew.