The First Asian-American NFL QB

Do you know who the first "Asian-American NFL Quarterback" was? I didn't either although I had followed his career from 1961 when he was at North Carolina State. I just found out at wikipedia that Roman Gabriel, long-time LA Ram QB was the first Asian-American quarterback.

Gabriel's father was a Filipino and his mother was of Irish extraction. He was ALWAYS thought of as a white man, and I would bet that he thought of himself as such when he played in the South in the early 1960's. Roman Gabriel was a highly publicized player and was often written about. His part-Filipino background was sometimes mentioned in passing, but little was made of it.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Wasn't there a asian QB at Hawaii before Colt Brennan that was highly touted and for some reason didn't make it in the NFL? I think his name was Tommy Chang or Timmy Chang. He broke all sorts of passing records before Colt got there and surpassed him.Edited by: guest301

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
Wasn't there a asian QB at Hawaii before Colt Brennan that was highly touted and for some reason didn't make it in the NFL? I think his name was Tommy Chang or Timmy Chang. He broke all sorts of passing records before Colt got there and surpassed him.

Yeah Timmy Chang (not Tommy) I think. He was on the CFL's Hamilton Tiger Cats (Lumsden's team) in 2006 the last time I checked. He was better than the other QBs on the team, but wasn't usually the starter. He is quite mobile (but smallish) and just made for the CFL, but I think he could make it in the NFL as a backup as well. He was snubbed.
smiley11.gif

Edited to add: Well apparently he is not very mobile he ran a 5.15 at the NFL combine in the 40 yard dash and is not that small either at 6'2. I guess I didn't know what I was talking about other than the fact he is on the Hamilton Tiger Cats "currently."Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

white is right

Hall of Famer
Chang is the reverse of Gabriel. He has significant white lineage. I think I read he was part Portugese. Also Nebraska star/Bucs running back Rick Berns was White half Asian.

foreverfree

Mentor
I always thought Gabriel was at least part White, part AmerIndian. That he was Filipino never entered my mind until now.

sport historian, you neglected to mention that Roman finished his career with the Philadelphia Eagles (which is mostly what I remember him from). For shame, s.h., for shame.
smiley4.gif
When Roman first came to the Birds, he wore #5, today worn by a certain Eagles quarterBlack. Gabe later switched to his old Rams number, 18.

The first time I heard of Gabriel, however, was in 1970 (I was 9 years old) in a Burger King in suburban Philadelphia (where, except for college, I lived until 1985). There in that BK was a poster with Gabriel, both hands on a Whopper, and the caption "The Roman Gabriel Grip". I really didn't follow sports then BION and didn't notice Gabriel's Rams uni.
smiley9.gif

John

foreverfree

Mentor
And speaking of Roman Gabriel, I invite CasteFootballers to visit www.la-rams.com, click on the thread "Roman Gabriel", and see a discussion as to whether Roman belongs in Canton.

John