"The Express" here we go again...

whiteCB

Master
As if you thought the media onslaught of movies that depict the accomplishments of black people in America has stopped you were more than wrong. Introducing "The Express" a movie about Syracuse tailback Ernie Davis who was the first black player to win the Heisman Trophy. Now I have seen it all at least I think. It just never ends; gotta love America. Here's the link:

http://www.hollywood.com/movie/The_Express/3464571
smiley5.gif

Tom Iron

Mentor
Ernie Davis - Died of sickly cell anemia before he ever played pro ball. He was at my cousin's wedding (they played ball together at Syracuse). He was a nice guy. This was well before blacks started going insane.

Tom Iron...

I remember an article about Ernie Davis in the Saturday Evening Post in 1962. It was titled "I'm Not Unlucky." Reading the article, you thought he would live. A few months later, he died. Very sad.

I saw him play on TV several times, including the 1961 Liberty Bowl. I took a book I have titled Big Bowl Football out of my library. It reports that Miami led Syracuse at halftime 14-0. Ernie Davis had 38 yards in 10 carries in the first half. He gained 102 in 20 attempts in the second half. Syracuse won 15-14.

There had been some though to making a movie about Ernie Davis as far back as the 1970's. Then, it might have been due to the success of Brian's Song.

Guess who was being discussed in the 70's to portray Ernie Davis? Answer, O.J. Simpson.