Tackling

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I have edited this post because I don't believe it was that good of a
question. However I will now try to write a better more detailed
question.

I was watching ESPN one day, and they had a special about Dick Butkus.
He would just smothers guy's in his massive girth then drive them to
the ground. He had a fire in every tackle as if he wanted to hurt
someone every down. Nowadays, I see players tackle a runner much too
high,and I dont see players wrap both arms around the runner. When you
watch a college game you don't see this as much. Perhaps its a result
of big heads or showboating, but either way it angers me. Where's
the fire in these tackles? That angers me even more what happened to
the punishing hits of football?

I'd hate to see a great game end up like how basketball did just
because player's don't use the fundamentals of the sport. So my
new question is do any of you see a decline in consistent tackling?
Edited by: Bear-Arms

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's no question tackling is becoming a lost art. That's amazing when you think about it because tackling is as basic a fundamental as there is in football. But the caste system and its media arm havecast asidefundamentals in football and basketball, andembracedconsiderably lower standards when it comes to behavior and work ethic,as part oftheir agenda of imposing a bogus "black supremacy" in sports.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Bear-Arms, see page 4 of this thread for "Horrible Fundamentals on Defense". We discussed this at length, you are correct on what you saw. It is obvious to anyone that cares to look honestly at the game.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Do you remember John Madden and other commentators glossing over Deion Sanders' total lack of tackling ability, choosing rather to praise his pass coverage skills. Neion Deion didn't shine very brightly when it came to the basics but what the heck he was the Michael Vick of defense.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sanders rarely made even an attempt to tackle. He was a pure cover corner only. Tackling was for his defensive teammates. He was the one who broke the barrier in that area, much the way Franco Harris "legitimized" running out of bounds, sacrificing yardage in order to avoid contact. All the defensive players now who make little attempt to tackle or who simply bounce off the ball carrier areDeion's progeny, along of course with the white announcers and commentators who willingly played along with the drop in standards.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Probably why they will play white guys at safety. Someone has to do the tackling!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No doubt about it, good old fashioned form tackling is pretty much a thing of the past. When you see a guy do it these days, which is rare, it is very exciting, which is the way it's supposed to be. We were tought form tackling from 7'th grade through high school. I used to get sick of the form tackling drills, because it did take a lot of effort to do well. But making the perfect form hit on some dude was awesome. Now these lazy bums just get in the way of a runner, throw up their arms, and hope the guy falls down. They put no effort into their tackling at all. Its funny too, because they supposedly train so hard in the weight room in the hope that it will give them a competitive edge. I guess we'll never know because they are too lazy to try to tackle someone correctly. I guess all that extra training gets them too tuckered out!