Super Bowl XIII On NFL Network

The NFL Network is showing Super Bowl XIII tonight (Saturday) at 8 PM ET. I believe it is the original NBC broadcast. The Steelers play the Cowboys. At that time, each team had won two Super Bowls.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I watched the famous Packer V 49er's game the other day i believe it was the '98 playoff game. One hell of a game from start to finish. TO had 4 dropped passes and a fumble yet Steve Young still threw him the ball. Even though the game was well played for the most part, that irked me. Why the hell was TO still in the game after such a miserable performance? It just goes to show the loooooong leash black players have and the EXTREMELY short one white wrs have. Does anyone honestly believe a white WR would be granted that many free passes in one game?In the end he made a clutch play, but he is the epitome of the "Big play" wide receiver the media loves to talk about. They can ignore his bonehead plays b\c when he actually does make a good play he looked supa affletic doin it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched that SF-GB game in '98 then the last part of it again a couple of years ago just to see Young's throw to Owens. Yeah, Owens was even more butter fingered than usual that game (and was sobbing afterward) but did manage to hold on to the game winning throw. But Young's throw was a thing of beauty, perfectly thrown in between three defenders. Talk about performing under pressure, it doesn't get any better than that. It's a shame a severe concussion ended Young's career early the nextseason because '98 was his best all-around year.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Steve was a 2 tier'd threat as QB, and had outstanding intelligence. I used to watch him torch the Falcons.

A couple of days ago, the NFL Network showed Super Bowl XIII in its Classic Games series. This consists of the NFL Films with voice-over from the radio broadcasts.

With the score 35-24 with over 2 minutes left, the Cowboys tried an onside kick. It went straight to a Steeler reserve DB named Tony Dungy, who mishandled the ball and Dallas recovered and scored, making it 35-31. The Cowboys tried another onside kick. This went to Rocky Bleirer who caught the ball and covered it. The Steelers then ran out the clock.

Although the program had players from both teams discussing the big plays, the fumble by Dungy was passed over without comment. Rocky Bleirer was praised for recovering the last onside kick.

Bleirer had leaped to catch a TD pass in the second quarter. The players said in effect, "Rocky Bleier can't jump that high." This was the consensus, even though he did.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I guess this is a little off subject but NFL Network showed Green Bay vs San Fransisco 1996 in it the other week. Had Tommy Vardell make a nice play, but Don Beebe was the star of the show. It made me wonder why Don Beebe wasn't used more in the passing game (well of course I know the real answer).

A black starter went down with an injury, so Beebe was put in his spot, the result 11 catches for 220 yards 1 td. Beebe had the speed and Favre had the arm (and Beebe was still fast late in his career). If only he were used like that his entire career he would have had multiple 1k seasons.

The NFL Network is repeating this program, the live broadcast of Super Bowl XIII at 1am ET Monday night.

white is right

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
A couple of days ago, the NFL Network showed Super Bowl XIII in its Classic Games series. This consists of the NFL Films with voice-over from the radio broadcasts.

With the score 35-24 with over 2 minutes left, the Cowboys tried an onside kick. It went straight to a Steeler reserve DB named Tony Dungy, who mishandled the ball and Dallas recovered and scored, making it 35-31. The Cowboys tried another onside kick. This went to Rocky Bleirer who caught the ball and covered it. The Steelers then ran out the clock.

Although the program had players from both teams discussing the big plays, the fumble by Dungy was passed over without comment. Rocky Bleirer was praised for recovering the last onside kick.

Bleirer had leaped to catch a TD pass in the second quarter. The players said in effect, "Rocky Bleier can't jump that high." This was the consensus, even though he did.
I recall the catch being made famous by Sports Illustrated in their photo spread of the game. I don't think it made the cover of the weeks issue as the monster bomb that Stallworth caught probably was the cover.

foreverfree

Mentor
Was Bleier one of the players interviewed for this special? Also, IIRC, Rocky is from Appleton, WI - deep in the heart of Packerland.

John