Super Bowl QB IQ’s

I just saw an item by Steve Sailer at the Vdare blog on the IQ's of Tom Brady and Eli Manning. Guess which one has the higher IQ? The answer, Eli Manning, at 136 (very high). Brady is 124.

Sailer writes that he has seen reports of 108 and 114 for Peyton Manning. Sailer believes that Dan Marino "scored below 100-he peaked in about his third season and didn't really adjust after that as the league adjusted to him."

The thread is:
http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2008/01/26/superbowl-quarterb ack-iqs136-and-124/

Poacher

Mentor
Interesting. Good old Wonderlic.

If Young really did score an 8 (or was it a 6?) where would that put him in the IQ distribution? 70? Yikes man.

Ha! Got it. To convert Wonderlic to IQ use the following formula:

IQ=2W+60

Edited by: Poacher

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Anyone seen Peyton and Eli's (with Archie and Olivia) Oreo commercial?

The only question I have is, why not throw Cooper in there too!
smiley36.gif

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

All this talk of wonderlic/IQ etx is meaningless. I suggest you don't get too hung up on this stuff.

In the end, IQ won't mean a thing. It'll all have to do with what we're made of inside.

Tom Iron...

In the 1970's, I saw an article somewhere on this subject. The author wrote that Frank Ryan, Craig Morton, and Charley Johnson had the highest IQ's of the pro football QB's of the era. He then declared that Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath were better than those three. The point being that IQ did not count as much as instinct and raw ability.

Hockaday

Guru
Tom Iron said:
Gentlemen,

All this talk of wonderlic/IQ etx is meaningless. I suggest you don't get too hung up on this stuff.

In the end, IQ won't mean a thing. It'll all have to do with what we're made of inside.

Tom Iron...

I mostly agree. A higher IQ would help a player more quickly memorize and understand the playbook, but when the chips are down the "intangibles" take over. I believe Brady has more of those than Manning.

Edited by: Hockaday

James

ESPN is reporting today that Tom Brady is saying in pre-Super Bowl interviews that he and Randy Moss are "a package deal." Meaning that because Moss is a free agent, wherever Moss goes to play, Brady will go too. Moss has said that he wants to retire as a New England Patriot but if Brady has a high IQ, that sure was a dumb statement to hook his star to Randy Moss.

backrow

Hall of Famer
they will obviously keep Moss, so it's no like Brady will go anywhere...

Makes me wonder about Brady's IQ. WHy would he want a receiver who caught only 60% of his passes wgen he has another receiver who catches close to 80%. His per cent complete and QB rating owe more to Welker than to Moss.Edited by: Tired old White

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Where the big IQ comes in is telling the caste media exactly what they want to hear.

James

Tired old White said:
Makes me wonder about Brady's IQ. WHy would he want a receiver who caught only 60% of his passes wgen he has another receiver who catches close to 80%. His per cent complete and QB rating owe more to Welker than to Moss.

Its probably because Welker caught 8 touchdown passes and Moss caught 23. Moss is the homerun hitter who strikes out a lot and Welker is the singles hitter who always makes contact. A great team needs both.

Bart

Hall of Famer
James said:
ESPN is reporting today that Tom Brady is saying in pre-Super Bowl interviews that he and Randy Moss are "a package deal."

I wouldn't take it to heart,being it was only a light hearted, tongue in cheek, super bowl interview.