student chants at college basketbal games

guest301

Hall of Famer
I just saw this story on drudge and my initial reaction was this is funny. Second reaction...I will let you decide. The student section at Gonzaga during a home game last monday were chanting "brokeback mountain" at a oppossing player. No name mentioned. Duke students for years have been well known for the imaginitive chants they come up with to distract opposing teams. It looks like Gonzaga ( the duke of the northwest)is trying to do some copycating. I would hate to be the player on the recieving end of this chant, especially if it wasn't true. It's a jesuit university and probably shouldn't be condoned but I still laughed out loud reading this news article. Did you?

KG2422

Mentor
It coud be referring to a "broke" shot. There was a guy saying it yesterday while I was playing a pick up game. He was saying it when someone who he thought would miss shot.

guest301

Hall of Famer
The chant "brokeback mountain" is clearly referring to the disgusting gay cowboy movie that is out right now. How realistic is a real gay cowboy anyway..gay heirdresser.maybe..gay flight attendant..for sure..but cowboy..very rare.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
this is just another example of the media butchering a story with lazy journalism. sadly, the facts of the story were completely overlooked by the original reporter, and now the story has made its way, as incorrectly reported "facts," across the internet.

what really happened was the student section was chanting "kissing Kickert" to St. Mary's player Daniel Kickert (who is an outstanding player by the way), because of a photo that showed Kickert kissing another man after a bet. funny stuff. the chant was directed at an individual player for the silly stunt that he had taken part in. it was hilarious if you ask me.

now the sad part comes in when the gay student organization poses "outrage" over the insensitivity and then Gonzaga University posts a PR statement that they were sadly disappointed in such "poor judgment" by the student fans. that statement mistook the actual chant which in turn became the first appearance of "brokeback mountain" in the story. the lazy journalists just ran with the PR brief and didn't do their homework.

anyone who wants to do a little homework can probably get a copy of the game off the internet. the chant is clearly audible, and they are obviously chanting "kissing Kickert."

i can't believe how overly politically correct so many people are to protect a deviant lifestyle.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the truth Jimmy C. I had no idea. It was kind of funny anyway! I have seen Kickert play and he may be a late first rounder. They wouldn't have been chanting "brokeback mountain" or "kissing Kickert" if in some way tthe crowd didn't think it was deviant behavior...that's a good thing..it means there are still some people that still think this stuff is wrong(deviant).