Strikeforce : Miami

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Fyi, here's the card for this Saturday's Strikeforce : Miami event in FLA...

MAIN CARD
NICK DIAZ VS MARIUS ZAROMSKIS
CRISTIANE CYBORG SANTOS VS MARLOES COENEN
ROBBIE LAWLER VS MELVIN MANHOEF
HERSCHEL WALKER VS GREG NAGY
BOBBY LASHLEY VS WES SIMS

PRELIM CARD
JAY HIERON VS JOE RIGGS
PABLO ALFONSO VS MARCOS DAMATTA
DAVID ZITNIK VS MICHAEL BYRNES
SABAH HOMASI VS JOHN KELLY
CRAIG OXLEY VS DAVID GOMEZ
RYAN KEENAN VS HAYDER HASSAN
JOHN CLARKE VS JOE RAY

***I'll be pulling for Zaromskis, Coenen, Lawler (vs. afflete Manhoef), Nagy (vs. DWF "god" Walker), Sims (vs. afflete Lashley), Riggs (vs. afflete Hieron) & any other Whites (vs. nons)!

Strikeforce : Miami

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Over at Sherdog, 20 out of 20 "experts" predicted Diaz would defeat Zaromskis. I actually have this fight at 50/50.

Riggs is a can and will be handled by Hieron. Sims will likely lose as well to Lashley. Not sure about Walker's opponent but Strikeforce seems to have matched him carefully. Lawlor will beat Manhoef as long as he can take him down.

So, we'll see, but should be a mixed to slightly bad night from a caste perspective. Keep in mind that most of the blacks have been carefully matched to win against inferior opponents.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
LL, I'd not say Riggs is a can (per se), as he has victories over Phil Baroni, Jason Von Flue, Nick Diaz, Chris Lytle & Kendell Grove (also 1 over UFC ref Herb Dean
smiley2.gif
). However, he's had some upsetting losses as well...Matt Hughes, "Cabbage" Correira, Travis Fulton, Mike Swick & Diego Sanchez.

However, "Gay" Hieron is far from a "world-beater" with 4 losses (including GSP & fellow Quebec'r Jonathan Goulet via TKO). I like Riggs chances, but agree Strikeforce has tried to set up Lashley & Walker for victories.
smiley21.gif

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Got the fight on Justin TV so wil do some updates. Hieron won a decision over Riggs.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Fought very flabby too as fight was stopped in first round. Lashley is NO threat to ANY top level fighter but Simms looked even worse and should retire.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Robbie Lawlor knocked Melvin Manhoef out cold! Manhoef was killing Robbie and looked on the way to a KO when Lawlor just clocked him and the afflete was out before he hit the ground.
smiley20.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Gotta give Herschel Walker credit - looks very fit at 47. Still hope he losses but his opponent is also a beginner.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Walker won the first round but almost fell into a leg lock. Both guys are very green.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Ref stops boring fight in the third round. Whites were 1-3 in the caste fights but we did get the biggest win - Lawlor's highlight reel KO over Manhoef.Edited by: Liverlips

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wes Sims took the fight against Lashley on like what, four days notice or something? And there was no reason to stop the fight, either. The fight wasn't entertaining at all and doesn't say anything really about either one of these guys. It was a waste of time.

Nagy was brought in to lose. As pointed out earlier in this thread, Strikeforce made this match very carefully. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't view tapes and interview people to find just the right guy for Walker's first fight. No one too athletic, no one with a real reputation for either striking or submissions, no one with the physical prowess, the skills, or the experience to put Walker in any real danger.

The real fight on this card, from a caste perspective, was Lawler-Manhoef. Two tough guys with reputations for knocking people out. It certainly wasn't looking good for Lawler, Manhoef was taking him apart with kicks. But when Lawler finally got around to actually throwing a punch, it was all over. I think Manhoef had a false sense of security, dropped his hands and BOOM! Lights out! Awesome finish for Lawler.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
You are right, Shogun. Lashley, Walker and Heiron are not going anywhere and were matched with cans (Sims, Nagy) or near cans (Riggs).

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Cyborg wins in the third. Just too strong though Coenen came to fight and gave a good account of herself. Coenen belngs at 135 where she usually fights.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow. The Zaromskis - Diaz fight was a barn burner. These guys were throwing everything. Zaromskis got one knockdown on Diaz, but Diaz' reach was too much and he finished the Whitemare in the first round. Good fight.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Diaz KOs Zaromskis in the first round but it was a great fight. Marius almost had him out but let him off the hook.

Bad night for whites as I predicted but we did at least take the Lawlor-Manhoef fight.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Diaz KOs Zaromskis in the first round but it was a great fight. Marius almost had him out but let him off the hook.

Bad night for whites as I predicted but we did at least take the Lawlor-Manhoef fight.

Yeah, I agree Liverlips but the Lawler and Whitemare fights were the only ones that were really evenly matched. The others were gimme setup fights for the 'stars' of Strikeforce.

hawkeye

Guru
the reason I refuse to watch a strikeforce event is because it's so pro black, as for Walker I can honestly think of about 15 white guys at my gym that could take him. Nagy had no business being in the ring.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the full card run-down from last night...

Main Card

* Welterweight Championship bout: Nick Diaz vs. Marius Žaromskis

Diaz defeated Žaromskis via TKO (strikes) at 4:38 of round 1.
smiley18.gif

* Women's Featherweight Championship bout: Cristiane Santos vs. Marloes Coenen

Santos defeated Coenen via TKO (strikes) at 3:40 of round 3.

* Heavyweight bout: Herschel Walker vs. Greg Nagy

Walker defeated Nagy via TKO (strikes) at 2:17 of round 3.
smiley21.gif

* Middleweight bout: Melvin Manhoef vs. Robbie Lawler

Lawler defeated Manhoef via KO (punch) at 3:33 of round 1.
smiley32.gif

* Heavyweight bout: Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Sims

Lashley defeated Sims via TKO (strikes) at 2:06 of round 1.
smiley29.gif

* Welterweight bout: Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs

Hieron defeated Riggs via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27).
smiley21.gif

Undercard

* Welterweight bout: David Zitnik vs. Michael Byrnes

Byrnes defeated Zitnik via majority decision (29-29, 30-27, 30-27). This fight was delayed until after the main event due to time constraints.

* Welterweight bout: John Clarke vs. Joe Ray

Ray defeated Clarke via TKO (punches) at 3:14 of round 1.

* Lightweight bout: Craig Oxley vs. David Gomez

Gomez defeated Oxley via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

* Featherweight bout: Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta

Alfonso defeated da Matta via submission (armbar) at 1:47 of round 1.

* Welterweight bout: Ryan Keenan vs. Hayder Hassan

Hassan defeated Keenan via TKO (strikes) at 2:42 of round 2.

* Welterweight bout: Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly

Kelly defeated Homasi via submission (rear naked choke) at 2:48 of round 2.

***Good win/KO for Lawler. Lashley is talking about a title shot...he's so full of BS. Fedor would tear thru him like a bowling ball thru wet toilet paper! Walker would be slaughtered versus (even) a B-level MMA fighter, as Nagy was a green can. Hieron has no chance against Diaz (assuming he gets a title fight).

I was wondering if you guys consider Cris Cyborg Santos to be a White Brazilian. She has pale White skin, blue eyes, and sometimes blond/brown hair (can't tell which is her natural hair color). But her is nose is somewhat flat. I was wondering if it's common for Brazilians of mostly European heritage to have similar features? When they refer to her "explosive" striking I start to wonder.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Guest, she's looks to definitely have European heritage, so she's either White or mestizo. She's a heck of a fighter, but I'd say Tara LaRosa is the best female MMA fighter.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Cyborg is certainly white though of Mediterranean descent (probably Portuguese). If she did not have an accent she would look right at home in any Italian neighborhood in the U.S. Most white boxers have flattened beaks as they will eventually get broken in fighting sports with striking.