Stop the Presses

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In a truly earth-shattering development in Pittsburgh, white special teams demon Sean Morey, a record-setting wide receiver from the Ivy League who is not supposed to ever be allowed to catch a pass in an actual game, has moved all the way up to fourth on the Steelers' WR depth chart. There's no shortage of patronizing and stereotypical language to be found in this article:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05248/565809.stm

Sean Morey is the only player on the Steelers' roster who has an Ivy League education, making him a rare possession receiver. At Brown University, where he set Ivy League records for catches, yards and touchdowns, he earned a degree with honors in organizational behavior, a background that will come in handy this week as the Steelers get ready for the start of the regular season.

All of a sudden, Morey finds himself as something more than one of the team's special-teams standout. All of a sudden, after an injury to Lee Mays, after the release of rookie receiver Fred Gibson, after the final two preseason games in which he caught seven passes in five quarters, including the winning 45-yard catch in Carolina, Morey finds himself as something the coaches never really thought he would be:

The No. 4 receiver in their offense.

But that's where Morey will be when the Steelers open the season against the Tennessee Titans Sunday at Heinz Field, as much by default as hard work and perseverance. Like it or not, he has systematically moved up the depth chart for at least the next two games, and maybe longer, while Mays recovers from a hamstring injury sustained in the final preseason game.

"I'm getting there every day," Morey said. "It's a process. Myself, I believe I am a dependable receiver. Whether or not I've shown that, I'm not sure."

Morey has shown that in the final two preseason games, curiously, right after he dropped a perfect third-down throw from Tommy Maddox against the Washington Redskins that would have resulted in a 20-yard gain.

Since that drop, Morey caught passes of 12 and 14 yards in the fourth quarter against the Redskins, then led the Steelers with five catches for 68 yards -- no drops -- in the preseason finale in Carolina.

Included, of course, was a 45-yard touchdown from Charlie Batch with 1:35 remaining, which allowed the Steelers to pull out a 21-17 victory

"He has really come on the past couple weeks," offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said.

So, while Hines Ward has plodded through an abbreviated preseason, waiting for a contract extension, and Cedrick Wilson has had difficulty transferring his impressive practice sessions to the playing field, Morey is the one receiver who actually has been productive in the Steelers' offense.

Understand, nobody in the Morey family is reserving rooms in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. Nor is Whisenhunt or anyone connected with the Steelers' offense devising plays to take advantage of a 5-foot-11, 200-pound wide receiver whose signature is his pit-bull tenacity, not his acrobatic catches.

But, in third-down situations when the Steelers use a four-receiver formation, Morey will be on the field, something nobody envisioned when he was signed a year ago tomorrow merely to help bolster the special teams.

"I'm just shooting to be consistent," Morey said. "I'm just doing my job, and that really starts in practice during the week. It's important to be able to get reps and get the opportunity to play. You feel like you can prepare yourself a little to go out and be successful in the games."

It's not as if Morey has just wandered into a new role. He was recruited to Brown by then-coach Mark Whipple, the Steelers' quarterback coach, and finished his career with 251 receptions, 3,850 yards and 40 touchdowns, all conference records. He was voted Ivy League player of the year in 1997 when he caught 74 passes for a conference-record 1,434 yards and 15 touchdowns.

But, when he got to the NFL, Morey earned his reputation catching something else -- kick returners. After being drafted in the seventh round by New England in 1999 and spending portions of two seasons with the Patriots, he signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in January, 2002, and played in the NFC title game.

Morey was released by the Eagles prior to the start of the 2002 season, then came back to training camp the next year and made the roster as a special-teams demon. He appeared in all 16 regular-season games and two playoff games and was voted the Eagles' special-teams MVP. Morey spent the winter playing in NFL Europe, catching 32 passes for 394 yards and seven touchdowns with the Barcelona Dragons.

When the Eagles released Morey in their final cut last year, the Steelers wasted little time signing him to the active roster. At the time, coach Bill Cowher was elated, saying Morey "can impact a game" and "we have to find a way to get him on the field."

He wasn't talking about playing wide receiver.

"They had no idea if I could play receiver or what," Morey said. "I was pretty much just tagged as a special-teams guy. But throughout my collegiate career and NFL Europe I've always been one of the best receivers. And now I've been given an opportunity to show I can play in the NFL, and I'm trying to make the best of those opportunities."

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
(Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1466.)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Finally a white receiver on the Steelers.That is rarer than beach front property in Arizona.lol.I love the Steelers and they should be fun to watch this year.Miller at TE,Morey at
wide receiver,Kreider at fullback,& Big Ben at qb.Not too bad.
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i guess athleticism is arbitrary. i watched Morey in NFL Europe, where despite never playing defensive back before, made the switch at the request of his (then) team the Patriots. all he did was nothing short of phenomenal. of course,. after the season, he came back to camp, was switched back to wideout, and generally jerked around. have we heard this before? then he did it again, only this time staying at wideout. but, guess what? cut again!

all this guy does is make plays, but it shows how much adversity a white skill guy has to go through to get a shot. and how much tenacity, and belief in one's self, that white players must show to overcome the caste system in the NFL. congrats Sean, but how sad is it that this is actually a happy story? is it fair? nope. but this is what white guys have to go through to make it. any guesses on why so many give up long before Morey and so few stick it out? yeah, i have a few too...

bigunreal

Mentor
Start the presses back up. The Steelers just signed the recently waived
Quincy Morgan, who will only have to be able to stand on two legs to
move ahead of Morey on the WR depth chart. What a complete joke.

Bronk

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
a rare possession receiver
Ah, the old code word for "white."

But isn't a possession receiver the kind of receiver everyone wants? I mean, unless you "possess" the ball what the hell good are you as a "receiver?"

white lightning

Hall of Famer
As bigunreal said,Quincy Morgan will be the latest guy to put Morey out of a job.It was just too good to be true.Talk about a let down.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was listening a bit yesterday to the most popular sports call-in show in Pittsburgh, and the announcer and all the callers just assumed without any doubt in their Caste System indoctrinated minds that Quincy Morgan could step right in as the number two receiver and instantly "stretch the field." There was no mention whatsoever that Morgan has been a huge bust in the NFL. He has had only one season with more than 516 receiving yards. The career yards per catch of this "speedy playmaker" is 14.9, or the same as that of Brian Finneran, the widely mocked "slow, unathletic" white guy genetically incapable of stretching the field. No mention that Morgan was basically kicked out of both Cleveland and Dallas for poor play and a poor attitude. No, when a receiver's black, everyone assumes, no matter how poorly he's played elsewhere, that he's a very talented receiver and welcomes him as a potential savior.

Morgan is expected to supplant Cedrick Wilson, a smurf with the word journeyman written all over him, who was signed from the 49ers organization during the offseason after Plaxico Burress left Pittsburgh for the Giants. Despite Wilson's mediocre career, again the media and fans were excited about the pickup of this heretofore very minor talent, who after being signed bragged of his speed and athleticism. That type of braggadoccio coming from a new black player on the home team is always music to the ears of the fans.

The same instant fan adulation is on display here in town with Willie Parker, the tailback who is going to start at least the first regular season game. Parker is listed at 5-10 and 209 but is most likely smaller. At the least he is one of the smaller running backs in the league, and in college he wasn't good enough to be the starter at North Carolina and went undrafted.

But Parker has Luke Staley-Jesse Lumsden-Travis Jervey type speed, so Steeler Nation, instead of feeling worried that both Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis are injured, can't wait for Willie Parker to do his thing. Because he is black and fast, in the minds of almost all the fans he is bound to be an instant star despite being totally unproven and having running skills based almost solely on running as fast as he can for as long as he can. That was exactly the style of running that ended the raw and untutored Jervey's very short-lived chance to run the ball in Green Bay, (only later to re-emerge as the minor superhero known as "White Special Teams Demon"!)

Parker may well have some long individual runs and good individual games, but the most likely outcome will be that he is not featured back material. But if the emergency backup had been not Willie Parker but Brock Forsey, his abilities would have been closely scrutinized and doubted and he would have been made fun of as well. There would also be close to mass panic over the state of the Steelers running game.

Such has been the success of the media indoctrination in getting fans to eagerly support the transformation of football from an integrated enterprise on the playing field to a permanent black monopoly over every prominent position except quarterback, and quarterback will be relentlessly attacked for however long it takes to fall in order to accomplish the last major goal of the Caste System. The "inferior" positions of kicker and long snapper will be left to whites, whose roles will be seen as akin to that of caddie to professional golfer.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Ouch, you really let loose on that one!
smiley32.gif

Don; don't stay up so late, you're even bringing me down!
smiley36.gif

JoeV

Guru
The Steelers can have Q, he wasn't good enough for the Browns and the Cowboys. One thing is for sure this year, Pittspuke will lose more than 2 games.
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
However many they lose it won't be as many as the Browns lose this season.
smiley2.gif

GWTJ

Mentor
Don, as a long time Steeler fan I agree with you. Cleveland will stink this year, again. But IMO the true brainwashing of Pittsburgh fans is that the team will be better with Staley and Bettis than with Parker. The Steelers offensive line has been so good for so long that mediocre backs can have success. That wasthe case with Bettis and Staley last year.The time is now to give Parker andHaynes the ball and watch the Steelers take it all.