Steroids - Football

Bart

Hall of Famer
The issue of steroids has not affected the NFL as it has MLB. Apparently people don't mind players juicing because of the nature of the sport. A couple friends and I were discussing this subjectwhen the name of Shawne Merriman came up. He of course sat out several games last year because of violating league policy on PED's. In reality, the story was no big deal, died down quickly and his career continued almost seemlessly. How would the media have reacted if it was not Merriman, but Brian Urlacher? Would it have been huge? I bet we'd still be talking about it. Oh, so that is why he is so fast etc, etc. Shouldn't there be an asterisk after his name for winning the MVP?

backrow

Hall of Famer
there were several white players caught juicing as well. i don't think it's limited to blacks, although i am sure they are a vast majority of steroid users.

Bart

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
there were several white players caught juicing as well. i don't think it's limited to blacks, although i am sure they are a vast majority of steroid users.

I realize several players have been caught, but the whites are usually low profile linemen. My point was that if a high level glamour position player such as Brian was caught, it would most likely be a huge event. You don't think so?

backrow

Hall of Famer
i don't know ask Bill Romanowski
smiley2.gif

but yeah, it probably would tarnish his image severly.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The NFL has a midas touch, if the Panther steroid scandal didn't start a ball rolling, or the Pittsburgh team doctor with a bag full of juice didn't. I'm afraid nothing will...
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif
Edited by: white is right

Bear Backer

Mentor
The NFL has the protected status of dare I say a certain minority in this country who's name rhymes with shoes. It has been pretty much exempt from much criticism because it "supposedly" has the toughest drug policy of all major American professional sports. Although judging by some of the physiques of some of the players who resemble professional wrestlers it does make one wonder just how honest of an enforcement policy it truly does have. The NFL has also replaced baseball as the most popular sport and has been for a longtime. We can't have the most appealing and financially lucrative sport coming under too much criticism can we? Also the violent and physical nature of game probably gives it a bit of pass. We should all be honest too and realize that the NFL is the caste baby of professional sports, which is undoutedly one of the reasons why it gets a bit of a pass. Stodgy old white hockey has been driven off the map, the other black sport basketball has been a constant embarrassment for a while now and culminated in the Olympics where NBA's brand of basketball was proven lacking. Most B ball games cant even outdraw professional wrestling anymore in ratings, because very few people really care about it. Baseball is also in sort of a punishment phase for being so non diverse, and to ignore that aspect of why it gets a little more heat is probably a mistake.