St. Patrick`s Day: An American Holiday?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Heck yeah! St. Patrick deserves a holiday way more than MLK. Thats just what I put as my reason when I signed the petition.

The actual link is: http://www.proposition317.com/stpats.htmlEdited by: Colonel_Reb

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Any man that can drives the snakes out of a country (literal or figurative), has my vote for a Holiday in his honor.
smiley2.gif
For more info on the fraud that is MLK, check out the following highly informative article...

Uncelebrating MLK Day

whiteCB

Master
I'm all for a holiday that promotes all day boozing and green beer. Whats
not to love? I'll be Irish for one day a year!

Tom Iron

Mentor
Big St. Pats day parade in my town Sunday. I could do without it. All it means to me is that the town will be full of people getting drunk and acting badly. Hope it rains Sunday night to clean up some of the nastier debris left behind.

Tom Iron...

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I hate St Patricks day. Its just an excuse for people to act like drunken retards. They should do away with St Patty's day AND MLK day. Besides, its an Irish holiday, not an American one. It has about as much place here as Cinco de Mayo

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
I hate St Patricks day. Its just an excuse for people to act like drunken retards. They should do away with St Patty's day AND MLK day. Besides, its an Irish holiday, not an American one. It has about as much place here as Cinco de Mayo

You guys should be less inclined to denigrate a nation of people that are better then you.

You should also note that the Irish celebration of St. Patrick is a private occasion, not a government holiday. No banks, post offices, or businesses close. You can celebrate it if you chose (and millions do!) the schools don't force the day on your children. As for the enjoyment of having a drink or two, that is something that almost all adults understand and agree with. Pity there are such small minded people in the world.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I'd rather have a day for Jedediah Smith or any number of other American heroes.

Bart

Hall of Famer
When I was a kid going to Catholic school we celebrated St.Patrick's day with gusto. The gym was decorated with green streamers, shamrocks, leprechauns, pots of gold,and other symbols. We always held a festival with games, prizes, candy, soda, and Irish music. It was great. The weather also began to warm up (finally) and the snow would melt away into rivers flowing down the streets. Ah, the smell of spring in the air, fantastic. The students, and teachers would make sure to wear some green clothing and say, "Top of the marning to ya", or some such with terrible faked accents. It was lots of fun. An Irish bar / restaurant near my homeis advertisinglive music, green beer, and traditional Irish dishes. I will have lunch there and enjoy myself. The crowd is almost exclusively comprised of white folks. Oh, and the lasses with red hair and freckles come out of the woodwork. What's not to like?

pt.guard2

Guru
I normally stay away from posts that are not sports related but must object to the "drunken retard" comments, regardless of your opinion on making St. Pat's day a national holiday or not.

As an Irish American in a city with a large Irish population I can tell you that although there are drunken fools (many of whom are not Irish, by the way)that use any excuse to act like jerks, by and large it is a day that we take pride in and "choose" to celebrate (as Jaxvid points out) as a private occasion.

Regardless of anyone's ethnic background, I would think that most people on this site would support such pride in one's heritage, since it seems to be lacking with much of the white population in general these days. Edited by: pt.guard2

Solomon Kane

Mentor
I like St. Patrick's Day and I think it is basically a healthy "real" traditional white American holiday.

--it's roots are in the Christian calendar.America used to be a Christian nation, perhaps it will be so again in the future. St. Patrick's day to a certain degree reinforces this, (though you have to set aside the whole leprechaun thing, etc.).

Plus, you hear the story of the growth of Christianity in white europe--so America's unhealthy obessession with the welfare of blacks and jews fades into background for a few days.

--its been around a long time. It was brought to America by Anglo-Irish officers in the 18th century. It's hardly an "artificial" contemporary Holiday forced on an hostile or indifferent public (like MLK day or Flag Day)

--sure it's Irish in origin...but it was popularized by *the sort of Irish who wanted to assimilate and become Americans*. The Irish people have been an important part of America, especially of White America. They have created the sort of healthy white neighborhoods which flourished before the forced integration of the "civil wrongs" movement.

Other white peoples accepted the Irish and soon intermarried with them, helping to create the great white middle class that has been the backbone of this country.

Plus, the welcoming attitude of the Irish towards those who wish to celebrate this day with them is OK...it promotes a certain solidarity...especially with fellow whites.

--it encourages the memory of white heroes--not only the great St. Patrick, but great Irish Americans (which includes Scots-Irish), and the great Irish American sports heroes CF rightly wants to celebrate.

--it encourages a day for Irish music--which is some of the best folk music in the world. It lets people know of the creativity of the Irish--and of the white--race. It forms a healthy contrast with rap and other lousy music.

--it comes right after Buh-lack history month so we can use it as "our" holiday to contrast with theirs.

Just some thoughts. Peace to all on the Forum.

whiteCB

Master
Well since I'm Italian there should be Christopher Columbus day as an official holiday since St.Patrick's day is going to be one. Hey throw in Cinco DeMayo while we're at it. The point I'm trying to make is that if your let one of these holidays gain official holiday status then your opening the flood gates for people of other ethnic backgrounds who then want their holiday of choice to be official. I think everything is fine the way it is. Maybe we as a society should add in an official holidays that does good onto our country and not add holidays where people just get liquored up all day. Not good America not good!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
pt.guard2 said:
Regardless of anyone's ethnic background, I would think that most people on this site would support such pride in one's heritage, since it seems to be lacking with much of the white population in general these days.

I agree with that, even though some say we should jettison the ethnic talk when we talk about making progress for white Americans as a whole. For the most part, I think they are two ways to reach the same solution. I'm a white American by birth,and by the same token, I'm mostlyScottish,English, and Irish. Anything that supports or celebrates those ethnicities is good by me.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Well said pt guard!

As I said many years ago. If you have a MLK day, other groups will want their own federal holiday. Next we we have St Patrick's day, then Cinco di mayo, then Dominication independance day. Now they are talking about eliminated Veterns day. When wikk it stop?Edited by: screamingeagle