Spike Lee discovers White ancestry!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ol' racist Spike discovered his White ancestry on the NBC show Who Do You Think You Are ? He even has an emotional scene with his third cousin who has a scary general resemblance to him. No word on if Spike will adopt Rangers gear and get rink side tickets because of this...
smiley2.gif
Here is the story...Spike Lee - Lee Discovers Slave Roots On Genealogy Show

Caption: Spike Lee (Picture) Opening night of the Broadway production 'August Wilson's Fences' held at the Cort Theatre - Arrivals. New York City, USA ....
Lee Discovers Slave Roots On Genealogy Show

Hollywood filmmaker SPIKE LEE paid a touching tribute to his ancestors on hit U.S. genealogy show WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? after learning he is descended from slaves.

The Malcolm X director took an emotional journey to Atlanta, Georgia for the series, in which celebrities trace their family trees.

And Lee was stunned to discover a link between his enslaved great-great grandfather, Mars, and a character from his breakthrough film She's Gotta Have It.

He explains, "When I was writing the script for She's Gotta Have It, I was stuck for the name of the character and I called my grandmother up and said, 'I need a name.' She came (up) with this - Mars... It fit because Mars in the film is crazy. That's insane. My great-great-grandfather's name is Mars."

Upon discovering Mars had purchased 80 acres of land after he was freed of slavery, Lee travelled there to bury a necklace he wore in the film with Mars' name inscribed on it.

Crediting his ancestors with inspiring his career, he added, "This is it. That was the spirit that made me pick up the phone and say (to my grandmother), 'Mama, I need a name.' That was the spirit of Mars that made that happen."

In another surprising moment, Lee learned that he has a Caucasian relative - and decided to meet Guinevere Grier, a white woman who is the filmmaker's cousin twice removed.

He told Grier, "Throughout the years I would just be in an airport anywhere in America seeing random white Americans, saying and think to myself, I could be related to them. I never thought anymore about that but now it's hit me in the face. I'm on your couch and we're cousins."

The experience has inspired Lee to make a new film about his enslaved ancestors.

He adds, "I've always known who I am, but now I know more. The journey's been very meaningful. It's a living record of my ancestors on my mother's side of the family. Hopefully in the future I (will) do a film... that deals with the complexities that happened on the plantation."

Comment on this story

waterbed

Mentor
he also read something along the lines that he felt hit in the face when he discovered his white ancestry( of course he has white acestry in history black and millions multi generation mulattos's where all seen as black), I wonder what people would say if mostly white person would say the opposite.

He said Larry bird ? was the most overrate basketball player, white women are put on a pedestal and i wouldn't date them, (he seemed a bit bitter probably he is attracted but his racism is too big to date white women).He was mad that Clint eastwood had in 1 of his movies no black people and called him racist slave owner. If i was Clintoow i would say: you don't have white people in your movies except when you need a bad guy in your movie.

I think the movies of spike lee are crap but he deserves an award for being Racism King.

Funny that Spike won't date white women, but his wife is about as light as black gets.

waterbed

Mentor
oh that typicall, I wanted already to say that he probably would date 'blacks women' with the highest white admixture what still is seen as black.their are africcan americans that are lighter then average white but they have still a bit the nose or hair of a sub saharan african to be seen as black or the reverse.EVEN 5.5 % of people that consider therselves black in the united states have no black in them.

as long as you have at least 2 or so part sub saharan african features you are seen as black.for whites it's the opposite you have to look completely white to be seen as white, if you have any admixture big enough to be seen in your phenotype you are not seen as white, espacially if it is black.

waterbed

Mentor
spike Lee thought before he maybe had white in him.But he could be 100% sure but he probably have not seen much full blooded blacks in his live, so he thought he could be 100% black.

waterbed

Mentor
I remember one saying that blacks from america had more variation in looks then whites except hair and eyes( but some do claim that too) ).Of course they have more variation in looks because Jeremiah wright no mather if he has 1 or 2 african american parents he is still only around 30% black, seen over 10 generations ago.so they range from black to nearly looking like whites.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Spike Lee was born in Atlanta, and he moved to Brooklyn, New York when he was a small child.

There are still some coal-black, African Americans there, and then there's the coal-black Haitian "immigrants."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Lee

I was watching a television, documentary-type program, recently. They were in a remote area of the Congo, and almost all the natives were very dark and primitive, but I saw one yellow negress and her mixed daughter. How did that happen? A female mudshark? A White (man) explorer getting some action?

I've also seen plenty of video from West Africa, and everyone isn't coal-black, but they are clearly *******, clearly very different from Europeans.

waterbed

Mentor
does anybody know it is common for a black american to be for example over 40% white without having at least 1 white( so without noticable admixture) great grand parent of the 8.Or is is not uncommon to have so much admixture from before.

I sometimes think that african americans with a lot of white admixture without a white great grand parent automatically thinks that there white admixture is less then 1/8 ,when he could be theoretically be 70 % white or so because 30% black is always enough to be shown in the phenotype.( but then all his great grand farthers should be like 30% black lol)

white is right

Hall of Famer
GreatLakeState said:
Funny that Spike won't date white women, but his wife is about as light as black gets.
Yeah he is like Ali. Ali once he became a sex maniac in the mid to late 70's dated and married Porsche Ali who I had no idea was "Black" until I read somewhere where Ali had resisted famous female celebrities because they were White.

waterbed

Mentor
i wonder if i shave my sun tanned head and talk with slang to compensate my not so black looks ( like lightskinned like to do) how many would believe me if I said I was black.

waterbed

Mentor
white is right said:
GreatLakeState said:
Yeah he is like Ali. Ali once he became a sex maniac in the mid to late 70's dated and married Porsche Ali who I had no idea was "Black" until I read somewhere where Ali had resisted famous female celebrities because they were White.

of a full blooded black you would always know he is black
smiley2.gif

waterbed

Mentor
waterbed said:
i wonder if i shave my sun tanned head and talk with slang to compensate my not so black looks ( like lightskinned like to do) how many would believe me if I said I was black.

would try that at a town with a lot of lighskinned blacks with a lot of white admixture.
smiley36.gif

i am proud to be white but i would find it funny.