South Carolina-North Carolina all stars

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
I watched the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas high school all star game today, between South and North Carolina's "top" high school football talents. South Carolina was heavily favored, though the game turned out to be quite close.

the game fielded a vast majority of black kids, which were almost universally hailed as "phenomenal" and "great," with each receiving multiple Division I football scholarship offers... however, the handful of unheralded white athletes that saw game action looked very, very impressive. that is a surprise to no one here.

only ONE of the white athletes had received a scholarship to play Division I football, though. also not the least bit surprising.

white quarterback Richard Mounce (Blythewood), South Carolina's Mr. Football, picked up the offensive MVP award for SC with 249 yards passing and a touchdown. Mounce is a dynamic passer, but he is going to college to play baseball for Clemson. football programs weren't interested at all.

Richard Mounce profile

the lone white athlete at a "speed" position for South Carolina was free safety Stephen Thomas (Dorman). Thomas was named to the Shrine Bowl team after he recorded 103 tackles, broke up six passes and intercepted another his senior year. he also ran for eight scores.

Known as a vicious hitter and tough guy, Thomas played with a broken hand for much of his senior year, even cutting off his cast at one point because it was inhibiting his play. But his impressive talents have been completely ignored by Division I schools.

... offers on the table from Lenoir-Rhyne, Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian. Thomas plans to make a decision on where he's going in the next couple weeks. "After this week I'll narrow it down," he said. "I'd love to have a Division I-A school pop up (after the Shrine Bowl.) It's a great opportunity to step up and show what I can do."

for North Carolina, black defensive backs Brandon Barnes and Robert Blanton got the most hype from the announcers...but it was obvious who the best defensive back on their team was. At the end of the game, he was named Defensive MVP.

he was a white kid.

The defensive back in question was Justin Venable, who has committed to play for East Carolina (the lone white non-kicking skill player in the game to do so).

Depending on who is doing the talking, Venable is anywhere from 6-0, 178 pounds, to 6-3, 195. And he either is a big, hard hitting safety, or a tremendous cover corner.

Justin Venable, safety, Southeast Guilford â€â€￾ The East Carolina commit was the most pleasant surprise of the Shrine Bowl week for the Tar Heel team. He earned defensive MVP honors after making five tackles and a pass breakup. The 6-3, 195-pounder is a real hitter, who started at safety along with fellow ECU commit Joseph Womack.

Cornerback Justin Venable (Southeast Guilford) earned the Defensive MVP with five tackles and a pass breakup.

Justin Venable profile

how in the hell can one person garner such divergent measurables? mayhap, these "scouts" make up other numbers too... hmmm... interesting...

Venable made arguably the most athletic play of the game when it appeared he had been beaten on a double move for a touchdown, but he turned on the jets and made a leaping pass deflection to prevent the score. It was so impressive, the announcers tried to pretend it didn't even happen.

"Dropped by Marquan Jones," one announcer said. "He was wide open," said the other. But upon further review, the television clearly showed that the ball was knocked away at the last minute by a talented, athletic white defensive back... of course, the announcers didn't even know the kid's name. Though they did finally admit that, "It was a great play by the, uh, defensive back."

it was the last pass thrown in his direction during the game, and it happened early in the first quarter. he spent the rest of the day blowing up plays in the running game.

The only other white defensive back to get significant playing time for North Carolina's all stars was strong safety Josh Gossett.

Josh Gossett profile

Gossett is a hard-hitting, run-stuffing strong safety, who has the talent and the ball-hawking ability to play at the next level (he even had an interception from the seat of his pants in this game). Regardless of the facts though, with the lack of hype around his football potential he may be more likely to end up on an athletic scholarship as a wrestler.

Gossett story

on offense for North Carolina, the lone white in a forbidden position was wide receiver Taylor Gentry. Gentry scored on a 47-yard catch and run for NC's first points. Rivals, of course, lists him as a tight end. At 6-2, 200 pounds, he seems an ideal prototype. wow. just wow.

Taylor Gentry profile

Gentry doesn't possess break-away speed, but he is always open. WIDE open. in fact, the announcers were so confused as to how he got so wide open, that they pretended it wasn't his doing at all. "How he got so wide open, I don't know," one announcer proclaimed. "Give the quarterback credit, he did a good job." I mean, what the crap?!?!

But take a look at this touchdown catch and the caption beneath it, and you'll see that Gentry has made a habit of being wide open...

video link

most likely, this was the last time most of these white kids will play a meaningful football game in their lives. Abundance of talent notwithstanding, college football coaches simply don't want 'em.
smiley19.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley7.gif