Showtime Elite XC

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The debut of the MMA organization formed by Showtime airs tonight at 10 PM EST. They will televise the undercard starting at 7 PM on the internet via their website.

The card isn't that great, but there are a few bouts that pit white fighters against blacks and Latinos. There is also a women's fight on the card. The main event features Frank Shamrock v Renzo Gracie.

Take a look:

Elite XC fight card

Anybody plan on watching it?

Poacher

Mentor
Might watch it on the internet site.

I hope "krazy dwarf" gets his ridiculous clock cleaned.

Not sure how the Gracie/ Shamrock fight is gonna go. To be honest I don't know much about either one of them. Edited by: Poacher

dkr77

Guru
I'll be watching it. I have never seen KJ Noons fight but if I remember correctly he was/is a boxer. "Crazy coon" is a borderline retarded ghetto punk so I'm picking Noons. The Frank "Juarez" Shamrock vs Renzo Gracie fight could go either way. Shamrock probably has the advantage striking and is naturally bigger but has been relatively inactive for the last few years. Renzo would probably fare better in the 170 lb division but he has recent wins over Newton and Miletich so I'm picking Renzo Gracie in this one. I have no idea who else is fighting so I'll leave it with those picks and keep a towel close by in case I'm wrong.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
First fight, Bo Cantrell (white? mixed? street thug, regardless) vs Persey (black), who is a friend of Rampage Jackson's and wrestled with him in 'collage.' No kidding, actually spelled college as 'collage' on his fighter bio. Anyway, download speeds are atrocious but heard the voice over - apparently Persey KO'd Cantrell with a barrage of punches in the first 1:30.

Mike Pyle (white) beat Ibanez (Latino) by RNC in the first couple minutes of the first round.

Was listening to the banter between KJ Noons and "Krazy Horse" (if I was Sioux I'd be insulted btw.) UG says Noons is nervous, he stuttered a bit in the press conference but he seemed pretty confident to me. Noons says he fights because he loves to fight, Krazy Horse...why else?

For the money.

I'll update more later.

p.s. Showtime ain't gonna make it. They have some ghetto retarded guy walking around talking to everyone between fights, throwing street lingo around.. very annoying. Not very professional at all. We'll see if he is on the Main Event doing the same thing or if this is only for the internet broadcast. Edited by: White Shogun

Poacher

Mentor
White Shogun said:
p.s. Showtime ain't gonna make it. They have some ghetto retarded guy walking around talking to everyone between fights, throwing street lingo around.. very annoying. Not very professional at all. We'll see if he is on the Main Event doing the same thing or if this is only for the internet broadcast.

That doesn't surprise me WS. Showtime (Brotime?) is one of the most afrophillic channels out there...even worse than ESPN and CBS in my opinion. As MMA becomes more and more mainstreamed ghetto thug moron commentators will become the norm. As will the presence of overrated black fighters like Jackson, Krazy Dwarf, Louisseau, Kongo, etc....

But anyway, something called Cage Rage is also going on tonight and I heard that Butterbean just ko'd Thompson. The same Thompson that beat Yoshida at Shockwave.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
A couple of Latino fighters are on right now. Just about through the end of round one. Don't know who is winning.

I hardly ever watch Showtime. I subscribed to the channel when they televised the Oleg-Rahman fight (I think that was the one) and have kept it to watch boxing. I didn't know they were so afro-phile. I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm not sure what to make of Butterbean's KO of Thompson. Butterbean has that thick neck that makes him hard to KO. I don't know if Thompson's win over Yoshida is a fluke, or if Yoshi has lost a step. I wasn't really super impressed with Thompson anyway, despite the win. I'd like to have seen that fight but I'm not going to pay regular PPV prices to do so.
smiley5.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
John Shackleford (white) vs Edson Berto (black) is on right now, first round is over. Vid download is bad, I can't see much of the fight and now the audio stream is intermittent; but I did catch one hilarious sequence in which Berto went for a jumping knee kick which Shackleford simply ducked under and ended up standing behind Berto while he crashed into the fence.
smiley36.gif

Berto has the last laugh. Sounds like he won by KO/TKO in the 2nd.

Some Japanese guy just G n' P a white kid. Quickly and convincingly.

Edited by: White Shogun

Triad

Mentor
KJ gets blasted by Crazy Horse in Round 1. Ouch!
Crackheads - 1
Hawaiians - 0Edited by: Triad

Poacher

Mentor
Triad said:
KJ gets blasted by Crazy Horse in Round 1. Ouch!

I read on another forum that krazy dwarf didn't touch gloves with Noons. There is no justice.

Triad

Mentor
CH refused to touch gloves pre-fight. The fight was lackluster and both guys looked tentative to start. KJ landed some good leg kicks and then CH hit him with a left to the ribs and a wild overhand right that KO'd him. The post fight interview from Crazy was laden with profanity and taunts to KJ.

Now two white ladies are going at it and the good looking brunette is whipping some ass. A pretty good fight.Edited by: Triad

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Talk about an ass. I don't think I've ever seen anybody with worse sportsmanship than "Krazy Horse." He refused to touch gloves with KJ during the ref's intro, and did nothing but laugh and make comments during the review of the TKO. A complete and total ass.

Bennett was 15-13-2, and Noons was 3-0. How did the athletic commission approve this bout? They matched a guy with 31 fights against a guy with 3 fights?? And Bennett has fought and lost to GOMI! WTF??? I didn't know much about either of these guys til tonight, and now I AM AMAZED they made this fight. This is ridiculous. Talk about the BBF!! And Bennett isn't even that great!
smiley5.gif

Goldberg and Mallo or whatever his name are taking ringside hyperbole to new heights. Murallo actually brought up Goldberg's '170 straight wins' in the WWE in comparison to Noon's win streak.
smiley36.gif

Not to mention the comment that the "Elite XC" has the 'elite of the elite' in MMA fighting tonight. That's funny, I didn't see anybody from Croatia or Russia on the card, so...
smiley36.gif

Anyway, the overall feel of the show is one of extreme cheese. The fighter entrances remind me of the old American Gladiator show for some reason.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The ladie's match was awesome! They kept it going non-stop through all three rounds. The blonde gave up five pounds and some decent height to Gina, who has 12-1-1 record in Muay Thai. The big girl was landing some bombs and head kicks, but the little blonde hung tough and took Gina down several times, almost had an arm triangle, and barely missed on a couple of armbar attempts.

Blondie is looking pretty beat up, lots of bruises, black eye.
smiley5.gif

Great fight!

Triad

Mentor
Loiseau just got owned by Villasenor in all 3 rounds. Villasenor dominated standup and takedowns in all 3 rounds. Decent fight and we finally had a gracious post fight interview. Loiseau looked sub par - another former Franklin opponent who appears to be overrated.

Poacher

Mentor
This now makes 3 straight losses for Louiseau; Franklin, Swick and now Villasenor.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't think Loiseau is overrated. Well, he may be overrated NOW, but I think Rich Franklin literally beat the fight out of him. Loiseau received a brutal three round beating at the hands and feet of Rich Franklin; his face was swollen to the point he was almost unrecognizable, with a huge softball size knot growing out of his forehead.

It's actually the same kind of beating Franklin took from Anderson Silva, except Franklin beat on Loiseau for three rounds. I am concerned that Franklin won't be able to make a comeback from his beating, either - just like Loiseau.

Triad

Mentor
Antonio Silva destryos Cabbage Correia in Round 1. He was completely dominant - a very mobile/agile 300 pound heavyweight. Another badass with the last name of Silva.

Triad

Mentor
Gracie -Shamrock Round 1
Gracie had two takedowns and controlled the first round no damage done from either fighter.

Controversy brewing in Round 2 - from the bottom Shamrock delivered two knees to Gracie's head. A DQ is pending unless Gracie recovers in 5 minutes.

Fight is now over ... Shamrock was DQ'd at 2:00 of Round 2.

A lackluster main event: Gracie easily got Shamrock on the ground but did absolutely nothing except hold. Shamrock was on the bottom and was continuously delivering knees to the body and two to the head. Overall the card was entertaining. Better than UFC 67 but no where close to UFC 66. Edited by: Triad

dkr77

Guru
I hate to say it but I think Renzo opted for an easy payday by way of illegal blows from Shamrock. Shamrock looked subpar on the ground and I seriously doubt he can hang with the current crop of top competitor's in the 185 division.

Renzo's positioning was excellent and his takedowns looked good but I got the impression that Shamrock was much stronger than he thought and Renzo decided to go home as soon as he could.

If Shamrock fight's Baroni I pick Baroni to win.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I have practiced blows to the throat and back of the neck during my martial arts training. Part of that training included receiving a light, open hand strike with the edge of the hand to the base of my skull (where Renzo was hit) in order to judge the effects of what such a strike would be like.

Even that light of a blow stunned me, made me dizzy, and momentarily made me see stars. It sent an electric shock down my spine.

Admittedly, I was not in a 'fight' at the time, and was not pumped full of adrenaline and emotion, so perhaps the effects of the blow were more noticeable to me. Having said that, I think blows to the back of the neck / base of the skull are nothing to play around with.

It's possible Renzo could have continued of course, but if he was dazed at all, why should he continue and let Frank score an easy KO? If he wasn't 100% recovered, I wouldn't have continued, either. Renzo's win by DQ may be bullsh*t, but it certainly wouldn't have been any less of a bullsh*t win had he continued and Frank KHTFO.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I mostly detest some of these minor league showcases. They are largely just cheap imitations of the UFC and Pride. We have a weekly cable show in northeastern ohio called the " Fight Fest". Chock full of chessy graphics, bad music, goofy looking announcers and most of the fighters are either out of shape or just beginning their careers. The whole thing is billed to be much better than that...but what I described is what you get. I watch it anyway because I have been a fan of MMA since the beginning of the UFC in the early 90's. A good fight is a good fight.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure Showtime is thinking of their program as the 'minor leagues.' The problem they're facing is that all the top talent is under contract with other organizations. It's possible as fighter contracts come up that Showtime may be able to sign some more marquee fighters to match their 'elite' moniker.

Fighter salaries are likely going to continue to increase, with the amount of money being made in PPV and now with backing from cable networks like Showtime and HBO. The problem is these 'organizations' are going to start protecting and babying their investments, just like boxing promoters protect their guys. Once the fighters are under contract, they won't fight against guys from the other organizations. The end result will be too many fight cards headlined by guys like Rashad v Salmon, and fewer cards featuring top talent facing off against each other, e.g. the Pride OWGP.

The Showtime card was interesting but it was not one I would have paid PPV money to watch. Looking at their stable fighters, it doesn't look like they're going to be able to put on another event any time in the foreseeable future, either. Edited by: White Shogun

guest301

Hall of Famer
I mostly agree with your above posting, White Shogun. I did hear UFC president Dana White in a interview state that the only competition he respected was the Pride organization. I certainly think he views the Showtime Elite Xc as minor league. Maybe he does that at his own peril, who knows! Who ever would have guessed the UFC would have become so mainstream when it started out, I was more worried it would get banned by the politicians as some form of "human ****-fighting". It's clearly not that, it's a lugit sport. Just as lugit as anything else.

dkr77

Guru
I think some of these shows, like showtime Elite, should possibly concentrate on the lighter weight fighters. UFC stops at their renewed 155 lb division when there are great fights to be made at 145 or even 135. That's 2 entire weight classes filled with talent that is virtually untapped in the United States.

The lower weight fighters are hungry and would probably fight for pennies on the dollar compared to big name heavyweights. In addition to this the 145 to 135 division fighters are known for stamina, speed and non-stop action. Hell boxing's biggest draw right now is a 147 lb boxer named DelaHoya.

Showtime could throw an up and coming lightheavy and heavy weight bout on their card and fill the rest with people like Mark Hominick, Uriah Faber, Cole Escovedo, Frank Edgar etc. and have an outstanding show. I certainly think there's a market in the U.S. for these divisions and unfortunately no one has looked into it yet.