Sergio Martinez vs J C Chavez Jr. 9/15/2012!

Westside

Hall of Famer
I can not wait for this fight! I really think it will be fight of the year with one of them getting bombed out. My money is on Maravilla. He trains approx 25 miles northwest of me in a Mexican immagrant/upper middle class town called Oxnard on the beach.

A year ago if one said Chavez Jr had a remote chance against the PFP great Martinez I would have laughed. Now, I am sure Chavez has the goods to compete as demonstrated against top contender Andy Lee in which he destroyed with ease. He is obviously on the rise.

Sergio has been dominate since winning the lineal Middleweight Title 2 years old against Kelly Pavlik with 4 KOs against top fighters. But it appears that he has lost 1/2 of a step, he is 37 years old.

I still believe, however, that Maravilla has enough to win this epic fight. It will come down to Sergio launching a bomb that Chavez Jr does not see. And he will. Though Chavez has an excellent chin, I don't believe anyone will survive the bomb thrown at Paul Williams. I expect one of these to turn the table on Jr. One or 2 of those punches will soften Jr up. Sergio will then unleash a flurry of hard shots taking out Jr.

If, Jr can sustain the unseen bombs, Sergio is looking at a long hard fight with his chances of losing being very real. This will be epic! :boxing:

Last edited:

Zeus

Guru
Sergio all the way, he's pure white of Spaniard and Greek origin. He's also the better boxer!

Westside

Hall of Famer
Since Andre Ward is half white and the splitting image of his White father, a couple words. I just saw Ward take apart a viable top ten PFP fighter in Dawson with Dawson quitting in the ring after being brutalized during the entire fight. He(Ward) is the best "infighter" since Roberto Duran and Ricky Hatton prior to his epic beer binges that ruined his career. Ward is the goods and great fighter. That can not be taken away. Only saying what I saw tonight on HBO. Supreme victory on his part.

Unless Martinez wins in spectacular fashion next week against Chavez Jnr. then Ward will subplant Sergio and Pacman as the 2nd PFP in the world.

Awaiting the Matthaysse fight on showtime, even though I know who the winner is. Great weekend of boxing with even better next weekend.

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
Yeah, the Martinez-Chavez fight has some good story lines to it.

I watched the Ward-Dawson, figuring I'd give it three or four rounds to not be a typical ho-hum UD 12, and it wasn't so I stayed till the end. Ward put on a good show, but Dawson just didn't look right, and I think it was the coming down in weight. Reminded me of when Chris Byrd tried to go back to Lt. Heavy and seemed to fall down every time the shmoe he was fighting hit him.

Don't know who can challenge Ward at the moment.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Since Andre Ward is half white and the splitting image of his White father, a couple words. I just saw Ward take apart a viable top ten PFP fighter in Dawson with Dawson quitting in the ring after being brutalized during the entire fight. He(Ward) is the best "infighter" since Roberto Duran and Ricky Hatton prior to his epic beer binges that ruined his career. Ward is the goods and great fighter. That can not be taken away. Only saying what I saw tonight on HBO. Supreme victory on his part.

Unless Martinez wins in spectacular fashion next week against Chavez Jnr. then Ward will subplant Sergio and Pacman as the 2nd PFP in the world.

Awaiting the Matthaysse fight on showtime, even though I know who the winner is. Great weekend of boxing with even better next weekend.

Westside, I could care less about Ward but I'll give him his due. He beat a very good fighter in Dawson. He's a good fighter. This is what needs to happen. Bute needs to beat Froch in the rematch. He needs to do so convincingly. I think this time he will get the win as he underestimated Froch's power last time. Then go for Ward.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just viewed the weigh in. Maravilla a solid 159. Chavez a thin 158! Chavez face looks like a skelton. but he will add approx 20 lbs prior to the fight tommorrow night. Looking forward to this. My money is on Martinez should be an explosive fight.

The Hock

Master
I would think Chavez cutting all that weight would catch up to him, but it hasn't so far. I still think he's vulnerable to a guy with fast hands and quick feet, such as Martinez. I see it going the twelve with Chavez having to play catch-up and not quite getting there.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Just viewed the weigh in. Maravilla a solid 159. Chavez a thin 158! Chavez face looks like a skelton. but he will add approx 20 lbs prior to the fight tommorrow night. Looking forward to this. My money is on Martinez should be an explosive fight.

20 lbs in what a day? That is insane!

The Hock

Master
Just watched a replay of the weigh-in. Martinez looks like he can't wait for the fight, while Chavez looked drained and tired from all that weight loss. Chavez seemed to have the attitude that the time of reckoing is nigh, but his chin will keep him in the fight and maybe cause him to take more of a beating than he should.

I see lots of clean shots landing on Jr. until Sr. jumps into the ring to stop it.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Watch the PPV preview shows and Junior looks completely different than he looked at the weigh in. He must have been on some 800 calorie a day diet to make 160. I don't know whether Junior is beating top 160 pounders because of skill or size(or both). After tonight we will find out. Ps. this could be the last fight for Junior at this weight if he loses as he looks pale and gaunt which is a sign that you aren't making weight the proper way.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Mike Lee wins on the undercard!

Cheering hard for Alvarez and Martinez tonight.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Watch the PPV preview shows and Junior looks completely different than he looked at the weigh in. He must have been on some 800 calorie a day diet to make 160. I don't know whether Junior is beating top 160 pounders because of skill or size(or both). After tonight we will find out. Ps. this could be the last fight for Junior at this weight if he loses as he looks pale and gaunt which is a sign that you aren't making weight the proper way.
WIR, you beat me to this. I ordered the PPV. They showed Jnr walking into the stadium. His face no longer looks like a starved man. Its filled out! Incredible he can put on the weight so quickly.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Mathew Macklin is up right now against an affelet I don't know much about. Go Mack the Knife!

Westside

Hall of Famer
Mack the Knife with a sensational KO in the 1st! He is back on track! Great night so far. The affelet was a fringe contender, so great win. Wow.

Lmao, Irish Matty Macklin KOs Haitan Joachim Alcine in 1 round!!!

The Negro's eyes were enormous and bursting out of his head as Ref stopped the fight, almost like he was high on crack or something, kinda bizarre :S

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Two white guys sing the Argentine national anthem.

A white latina singing the Mexican national anthem.

Three blacks croaking out the U.S. anthem. As usual.

Westside

Hall of Famer
F**K!! a unreal fight! Jnr is the goods, he was being schooled by an elite fighter in Sergio Martinez who fought the perfect fight. Sergio won the 1st 11 rds, but Jnr remainded competive.

Then Jnr clipped elite fighter Martinez in the 12th with 3 great left hooks. Down goes Sergio. Up comes Martinez to fight off the brutal Jnr, outstanding fight to win. My 50.00 dollars being well spent along with Macklin's destruction of some fringe contenter affelet.

Martinez will be ranked 2 or 3rd PFP after this great performance.

Jnr should go to 168 lbs. Its unreal how how he is able to replinshed his weight and well being in a Day!

Congrats to Sergio for an epic display of ring generalship and grit to fight off the huge Chavez Jnr in the end. Great night of fighting.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Macklin KOs the Haitian in one round :icon_smile:
;
Liverlips the second time I posted with another member at the same time!

Great night at the fights!!!!!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Beleive it or not, I turned the fight off after round 11! I missed all the fireworkds in round 12.

Martinez looked masterful for 11 rounds though. I'm also glad that Alvarez won.

Being buffoons, most Americans don't see Martinez and Alvarez as whites, but rather as "Hispanics." But Martinez is Greek and Spanish and is from one of the whiter countries in the world and Alvarez looks like Richie Cunningham.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Two white guys sing the Argentine national anthem.

A white latina singing the Mexican national anthem.

Three blacks croaking out the U.S. anthem. As usual.

There's the story of the decline of the USA in a nutshell.

Both Argentina and Mexico have pretty crummy national anthems, though. The best national anthems in my opinion are France's La Marseillaise and Free Germany's Horst Wessel Lied.

The two best national anthems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvapAj190Sc&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkV1ZbU7eqs&bpctr=1347888209

Last edited: