Sergei Lyakhovich

werewolf

Hall of Famer
"Isn't Wilder coming into fights at 215lbs?"

The Freedom of Information Act requires me to confess that I didn't see the Wilder-Lyak. fight. Is it around anyplace? I want to see if Lyak made any obvious Vince McMahon or 3 Stooge moves as he reportedly hammed it up on his way to the mat. There were no folding chairs or wacky valets involved were there?

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Here's great black hope-dope Wilder getting beat up in the olympics by an Italian who is eight inches shorter - 5'11" vs. 6'7".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGaq2UAfAx0

Announcer: "Deontay Wilder is completely outclassed, completely outgunned, completely outboxed."

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Wilder clearly hits hard, and in some ways his 29-0, 29 KO record is impressive.

But it's important to understand his level of opposition has been very underwhelming and carefully selected. Wilder's best opponents are Audley Harrison and Sergei Lyakhovich, both of which were way, way, way past their best days of their career and both of which had already suffered many KO losses.

To put it in perspective, David Price, who just like Wilder is an Olympic Bronze Medalist has fought much better opponents than Wilder, and he's done it in only 15 or so fights. Price beat Matt Skelton, a fresher Audley Harrison, and fought an arguable top5 heavyweight inTony Thompson. Much harder opposition than what Wilder has faced.

Actually, its an interesting contrast in matchmaking if you look at how Wilder and Price have been matched and developed professionally. Wilder has had very easy fights and fought many "tomato cans", whereas David Price was probably rushed a bit and could have used a few more fights before facing Thompson.

Good points. And Wilder turned pro before Price.

At some point though, probably in his next or after next fight, Wilder is going to have to fight a live opponent. Russian heavyweight Magomed Abdusalamov has repeatedly called out Wilder and Wilder's management have consistently rejected the fight. They aren't willing to take that risk right now, or maybe ever. Clearly Wilder's team at the moment is not concerned with fighting the best.

I dont believe Wilder's handlers would ever agree to fight Magomed, so someone like a Dereck Chisora, Bryant Jennings, or a Tomasz Adamek is a more likely opponent. Quite frankly, I would fancy Dereck Chisora to pull an upset and win the fight.

That would be interesting, my man Abdu vs. Wilder. Between the two of them they've won every single fight by KO. Neither has yet faced a ranked contender, but Abdu has faced better. From a marketing standpoint, though, they probably won't go for it. Why mess up the perfect record of two hot commodities that can put asses in seats?

The truth is, I don't even think Wilder will make it to a titleshot VS a Klitschko. I think he will be exposed and knocked out probably before then. Probably in his next 3 fights, I think there is a good chance he is knocked out.

The simple fact of life is that its very difficult for someone to be a champion in boxing with only 35 amateur fights. He doesn't have the experience and mark my words he won't have the defence or boxing ability in a fight past 4 rds either.

Actually, this whole situation reminds me of a Negro named Tyrone Brunson from the USA who had like 20 1st round KO's, 20-0, 20 KO against taxi drivers and then was badly exposed and stopped by the first decent boxer he faced.

Wilder is another Ty Brunson. Maybe marginally better, but Wilder is headed down that exact path as Brunson. Its only a matter of time before he is badly exposed. Talking about Wilder/Klitschko is a joke, I dont think he will make it to a Klitschko.

Tyrone Brunson:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=483755&cat=boxer

Holy cow! His won his first 19 fights all by 1st round KO...until he ran into someone who could fight back!

That would be interesting, my man Abdu vs. Wilder. Between the two of them they've won every single fight by KO. Neither has yet faced a ranked contender, but Abdu has faced better. From a marketing standpoint, though, they probably won't go for it. Why mess up the perfect record of two hot commodities that can put asses in seats?

Great comments you make and yes, it would be a very interesting fight for the heavyweight division! I'm a huge fan of Abdu so would love to see it, and personally I'd feel confident in Abdu's chances to win by KO. :)

Unfortunately, Wilder's team has turned Abdu down repeatedly, so realistically, it doesn't seem like the fight will happen anytime soon. You bring up a great point that from a marketing perspective there are reasons to avoid the fight. This type of "undefeated VS undefeated" heavyweight bouts seldom occur unless its some sort eliminator for a title shot.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

Gibbon

Guru
Wilder has no shot against a legitimate elite boxer. His absence of character was immediately apparent after the knock out. The gloating and posturing over putting down a shot fighter is shameful. Once upon a time you could get away with this in America.

But times have changed, this sport is no longer what it used to be: an American racket controlled exclusively by "interested parties." I am not suggesting fight fixing (though certainly this has in some instances occurred). I am suggesting an agenda driven fight matching.

See a kid with potential you don't like?...feed him to the lions. A kid with potential you do? Bring 'em along carefully. And you can do this whether you are managing him, or a competitor is, because as is the case in all industries, money rules. The man with the money makes the fights. The Eastern Europeans have broken the monopoly because they have developed outside of it.