Sasha Vezenkov

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there’s a perennial question in professional basketball: who is the best player in the world not in the NBA?

Sasha Vezenkov is a legitimate candidate for the title. the 6-foot-9, sweet shooting stretch 4 is a highly efficient scoring machine and the reigning Euroleague (and Greek league) MVP. the 2-time all-Euroleague first-teamer was a second round draft pick of the Nets in 2017, but he’s never attempted to make the leap across the pond. instead, he’s stayed in Europe and carved out a stellar career, racking up a slew of awards.

his NBA rights are currently held by the Kings, and rumor has it they are very interested in bringing him over. here’s an article talking about him: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...-mvp-yet-timeline-contract-buyout/ar-AA1bSBbx

and here’s a cool video showing how he can dominate the game without even dribbling:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
and here are highlights from his team’s Euroleague semifinal (final four) game:

they eventually dropped the championship game, but he had quite a season.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there was a post a while back from grandmaster (where has he been?!) illustrating that the NBA hasn’t been fond of giving opportunities to Euroleague MVPs in the past ... so, will Vezenkov break the trend? only time will tell.

NikoDuke

Mentor
I've seen Venzokov play live back in Spain when he was young. Showed a lot of promise back then but seemed like his career stalled. Been very good to see his resurgence. He should stay in Europe as I highly doubt he'll get a fair chance in NBA. Note how Spanoulis was treated

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I’ve not watched a lot of foreign basketball but I’d guess a lot of the better white European players prefer to be bigger fish in their smaller ponds.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Interesting had never heard of the guy until now! Stellar scouting by our basketball guru as always.

Phall

Master
Very cool video in the OP. It's amazing that with the NBA's transformation toward threes that the racial makeup hasn't seemed to improve. Fun to see Vezenkov excelling by mastering something unique.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very cool video in the OP. It's amazing that with the NBA's transformation toward threes that the racial makeup hasn't seemed to improve. Fun to see Vezenkov excelling by mastering something unique.

I remember way back in 1996 when Brent Barry won the Slam Dunk Contest and Tim Legler won the 3 Point Shooting Contest that the media
and fans went into an uproar. How dare do they have 2 white guys dominate NBA All Star Weekend? The miedia was not happy either so
they make sure things like that are unlikely to happen again.

Even Rush LImbaugh(RIP) back then called it NBA All Star White Boy Weekend just to piss off the liberals even more on his radio show.

Last edited: