Rocky Marciano vs. Muhammad Ali, 1969

G

"...Rocky really hurt Ali with body shots, so that Muhammad climbed out of the ring and demanded extra money to continue. He was payed additional money. (Woroner himself said Ali took such a battering that he refused to continue until he was guaranteed an additional two thousand dollars.) I've talked to the son of one observer who says Rocky doubled Ali up with a body shot..."

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047//alirock.html

Good post. Heard about the sparring match but never knew what happened.

People never seem to respect bodypunchers. Usually it's because people have never boxed before & simply don't realize that a body punch can hurt worse than a head punch. Rocky was an aggressive fighter who could get inside ANYBODY & deliver some viscious body punches.

If Joe Frazier(Very similar in style & size) could beat Ali 2 of the 3(He was jobbed the 2nd fight), Then Rocky Marciano could no doubt beat Ali as he was similar in style but twice as good as Frazier.

I always say, if Frazier can knock Ali down then Marciano could knock Ali out.Edited by: Doc Holliday

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

G

Marciano's bobbing and weaving made him very hard to hit, and I've never seen anyone else put their whole body behind punches so ferociously and efficiently.

His body weight was only about 185. Why have athletes today gotten so much larger? Diet? I don't think so. Boxers and other people back then had all the meat and protein they wanted. Are they all on steroids now?

ww

Bart

Hall of Famer
werewolf said:
His body weight was only about 185. Why have athletes today gotten so much larger? Diet? I don't think so. Boxers and other people back then had all the meat and protein they wanted. Are they all on steroids now?

Not all, but I wouldn't doubt the majority of them are.

G

Not all, but I wouldn't doubt the majority of them are.

Something to think about. .