RIP Jim Taylor #31

Jim Taylor was my favorite player of Lombardi's Packers. I saw him play on TV. He had tremendous athleticism. Taylor played in a national high school all star basketball game. At LSU, he placekicked and played defense as well as being an All American RB in 1957.

Jim Taylor's NFL rushing numbers have stood the test of time. At various forums, people wonder why Paul Hornung was more famous as Taylor's yardage and TD's are way superior.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Taylor was before my time but my dad always spoke very highly of him. The fact that he played for Lombardi and the Packers should, emphasis on *should*, make his accomplished career even more notable. The greatest back on the greatest team of that era. If he was the last White RB to lead the league in yardage in a season then that's a shame. RIP.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see a thread was made to remember Jim Taylor rather than his death being covered with a few posts in the voluminous NFL Rumors and News thread.

He was a great running back, but now he has been pushed into the memory hole while his contemporary Jim Brown has been given god-like status. Today's potential Jim Taylors aren't even allowed to play running back, pushed to other positions, forced to walk on, the whole sickening story we've been covering here for many years. One can only imagine how Rivals would describe someone like him today: "limited, stiff hips but tries hard, two star recruit with potential to play tight end or blocking back if he packs on 40 pounds."

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Great pic!