Rio Bravo

Charlie

Guru
Can this be a thread about movies?

Anyways, 'Caterina in the Big City' (2005) is set in Rome, the big city the title character moves to with her parents so her father can get a better teaching job. He thinks society is rigged to benefit the wealthy and connected.

Caterina attends a posh school in central Rome. The students are evenly divided between stylish and snobbish fascists and sloppy and faux-chummy communists. The girls dominate the cliques and the leader of each group tries to recruit Caterina.

The fascist girl's father is a cabinet level member of Berlusconi's government while the commies girl's parents are well-regarded intellectuals. Country estates, massive apartments, designer clothes, the trendiest drugs. Caterina's head spins. She has no fixed political ideas, nor do the other girls who simply repeat what their parents say.

There are memorable scenes. At one point the fascist's hold a wedding reception. Many of the guests are obviously wealthy, while others, the old guard of street activists with nicknames like 'chain' (one of whom spent two years in prison for his political views), are of more modest means. Still, when the old songs are sung, everyone joins in with raised hands.

The fascist girl and her friends are chauffeured about by a long-suffering driver. They tease him mercilessly. He drives them to a party and waits in the car listening to a football game. He then notices it's a bit late, and the party is a little loud, and the attendees maybe a little too mature.

He enters the large house and begins to search for his charge. He pushes aside anyone who is in his way. No one challenges him. It becomes clear he is not a mere driver. He finds the girl and she has been naughty (nothing serious, just necking or the like). Like always she starts to tease him. He slaps her hard across the face. 'I'm going to tell my father.' 'No, I'll tell him. Let's go.'

Towards the end the fascist government minister and the communist intellectual meet. 'I saw your appearance on X public affairs show. I was very impressed with what you had to say.' 'Thank you. I read your recent book. Stimulating ideas.' 'We really should have you over for dinner. After all, our daughters attend the same school.' 'Yes, I agree.'

Caterina's father sees and hears this. Yet more proof of his theories, and yet another reason to go further into a mental crises. Eventually he leaves his family, stealing away on some sort of Vespa-thing. (The actor who plays this role also speaks German and has had major roles in German language films.)

For what is ostensibly a teenage girl movie there are fairly profound points. The most significant being that Italian nationalists are not on the outliers of society, but rather have their own elite which revolves in and out of power.

The director Paolo Virzi clearly knew he was delivering a sympathetic, complex portrayal of people you mustn't be considerate of. Yet he was not cast into the wilderness and continues to work. His next movie being 'Napoleon and Me'.