Ricky Burns vs Jose Gonzalez

Westside

Hall of Famer
Established WBO lightweight champ Ricky Burns will be fighting dark affelito Jose Gonzalez tommorrow 5/11/13. I don't know much about Gonzalez other than some say he has great power. Burns should be able to get the W.

Burns based on the weigh in photos appears to be in outstanding condition.

Great call to make this thread! Burns VS Gonzalez is a great fight, very interesting matchup and I'll be rooting for Ricky! :)

Have to be honest, I'm a huge boxing fan and usually I am very well versed and knowledgeable about most boxers (especially Euro ones), however, in the case of Ricky Burns I have to be honest that Ive only seen about 2 of his fights (the title win over Martinez, and one of his earlier fights). Looking at his record, I see he has wins over Roman Martinez, Mike Katsidis, Paulus Moses, and Kev Mitchell and those are all solid wins over solid competition!

This Puerto Rican guy, Jose Gonzalez has a lot of knockouts and is undefeated so he's coming into this fight with a lot of power. I haven't seen any of his fights, and looking at his record, I'm not familiar with any of his opponents except Pipino Cuevas (whom he TKO'd in 6, not a bad result).

I'm excited for this fight, should be a good one, hopefully Ricky can draw on his better experience and outbox the puncher! We know that Euro and White boxers tend to dominate and strongly compete in divisions welterweight and up, however, the lower weight classes have always been more of a mixed bag for Euro boxers. Ricky seems to have a nice title reign going at lightweight with the WBO title so hopefully today we'll see a great defense from him!

Let's go Ricky!

amoeba man

Guru
Fighters from Gonzalez part of the world and South America are always somewhat of an unknown quantity.He could be blown out or turn out to be another Felix Trinidad.This is an intriguing fight,Burns promotor has admitted that he's slightly apprehensive as no one really knows anything about Gonzalez but he looks tough and is unbeaten.

Fighters from Gonzalez part of the world and South America are always somewhat of an unknown quantity.He could be blown out or turn out to be another Felix Trinidad.

Yes, very true and great comments you make here. This guy, Jose Gonzalez is largely an unknown quantity. He hasn't fought anyone of note, at least that I'm familiar with. So it's hard to say how good he is. From looking at his record, the only obvious thing that jumps out is that he hits hard. Ricky Burns would do well to feel him out, jab, and keep a distance, fight cautious and intelligent for the first few rounds!

Here's a video of the weigh-in;

[video=youtube;s1sZO2qlVUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1sZO2qlVUk[/video]

Both guys look in very good shape, especially Ricky Burns.

I notice that Burns seems to always be wearing Emporio Armani (at the weigh in, and before at the press conference, as well as with other fights). Maybe he has some kind of sponsorship deal with Emporio Armani? That's awesome.

Mikkel Kessler has a sponsorship deal with Danish men's wear retailer Jack & Jones (parent company is Best Seller), and what's cool is that I was a manager for a few months at one of their stores here in Toronto, so it was like I am the manager of the same company that sponsors him! lol...

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Gonzalez appears to be well-schooled and he has proven KO power. He has very long arms so can fight well at a distance.

This is not an easy fight for Burns.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Gonzalez was winning the early rounds, then tried to stop Burns in round seven.

But Burns has a good chin and fought back hard!

Gonzalez seemed to lose heart (or stamina) and just backed off during most of rounds rounds 8 and 9, and the few times he did throw Burns would catch him with some good counter shots.

Then the negro quit on his stool, he wouldn't come out for the 10th round.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Wow! great news. I was working on one of my cars. Forgot to about the fight. Look forward to replay on Youtube.

Wow, what a god damn fight and that was a sensational win for Ricky. Quite an incredible, action packed fight. A true championship performance from Ricky.

My scorecard up until the stoppage:

R1 Burns
R2 Burns
R3 Gonzalez
R4 Gonzalez
R5 Gonzalez
R6 Burns
R7 Gonzalez
R8 Burns
R9 Burns

(Admittedly, my stream was not the best quality, so sometimes its hard to judge landed punches, as well, many rounds were close, particularly the opening 4).

So, at the time of stoppage, I had Burns slightly leading the fight. The turning point of the fight was clearly round 7, in that round, the puncher Gonzalez threw his best shots, completely taxed his body, and by the end of the round Burns had taken the punches and was punching back and hitting the Puerto Rican. Rounds 8 and 9 were onesided beatings of Gonzalez, who was clearly exhausted and at that point had nothing left to offer. Retiring in his stool was the only choice for him.

There's an expression in boxing to pace yourself and that was the difference in this fight. Burns paced himself, broke down his opponent, and Gonzalez was completely spent and had no defense. What a tremendous win for Ricky. In the early rounds, I was also impressed with Ricky's jab. Stamina, willpower, the jab, defense, and ring intelligence won Ricky the fight.

As a final point, let me say, the announcers had Ricky only winning 3 rounds in the fight. I found their commentating very biased. The opening rounds in the fight were very close. Their commentary made it seem like the Negro had won every round. Completely untrue. So I found the commentary biased against Burns. My scorecard may not be perfect, but certainly this was a close fight at the time of stoppage, and Ricky was starting to pull ahead.

Tremendous fight, Ricky is such a champ! Very impressed with him. Not just his heart and stamina, but he also showed great jab, defense, and ring intelligence! What a great win. This Puerto Rican guy Jose Gonzalez was a big puncher and a good test. Gonzalez would beat a lot of guys at 135. So, this is a great win for Ricky, and by stoppage is even better!

Last edited:

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just reviewed ESPN's twitter feed. Rafael had Gonzalez winning the fight. But said that Burns cardio saved the day with an epic stand in the 7th. Now Gonzalez is "claiming" he broke a limb. Either a right or left wrist and could not continue, yeah right.

Gotta watch the replay. Rafael stated that it was not a good showing over all on Burn's part. Can anyone who watched counter argue?

The Hock

Master
Man my internet was acting up again (ATT sucks no lie) but I figured if Burns could frustrate the Boricuan's power early he would win probably by decision. I didn't like only 10 kayos on his record, but sometimes having to go the distance toughens up a figher. This little Scot done us proud today!

Ricky is the man!

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just saw the replay. Gonzalez was just spent. He shot his load in the 7th. Nothing left. Look at his corner try to revive his legs from rd 8 till his mea culpa. He lied about his injured wrists, arm, whatever. He just did not have the spunk anymore. Ricky on the other hand better fight every 4 months. Being out of the ring for a year showed. He did not have his timing down.

Gonzalez knew he would have been on queer street if he fought the last two rounds. Gritty win by Burns

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
The fight went like I figured. Ricky peppered and rocked the first part of the fight, then coming on in the later rounds. Gonzalez quitting surprised, but it looked like he wasn't mentally prepared to tough it out.