Rescue Dawn

A must see movie. This is based on the true story of Dieter Dengler, a German who flew for the US Navy. He was shot down, captured by the commies. He led an escape and was the only one to survive.

Everyone should learn to pick locks. When the New World order comes to lock you up, you can lead the escape!

Tom Iron

Mentor
screamingeagle

In the context that you use, that of escape, I agree with you 1000%.

However, as far as a movie goes, I think it was a dud.
Very badly acted with really bad dialouge. The director really did a lousy job and they worked as many blacks into the film as possible. They also made the admiral look like a world class jerk.

I didn't like it. Too bad because I was very disappointed.

I have admit I am a sucker for any "escape" movie. The problem is that too much european left wing feelings swept into the movie. It is almost like there were two movies at once. The part at the end where the other pilots sneak out past the CIA guys are phony. I doubt that the USS Ranger was in country when he was rescued.
There were a number of small mistakes. The crashed A1 had a different than what his squadron was flying. He was not a "flight liutenant," foreign air forces have this rank. While diving, the instrument panel says he is flying straight and level. (A1 instrument panels are easy to read!) They needed a military advisor.
I only remember talking to one black sailor, and there were a few in the background, far less than most movies nowadays.
Lastly, I liked the admiral.