Real Toughness vs. Media Myths

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The NFL season has begun, which means once again we are treated to just about every game being delayed because of an injured player laying on the ground for an inordinatelylong period of time.

In the "old days" an injured player, unless he was paralyzed, dragged himself off the field and the game went on. Now games go to commercial break and longer while the player is carefully tended to.Usually the injury suffered is minor.

No one connected to the industry of professional football dares complain, since every great once in a while a player is indeed seriously injured, and because almost all the "actors" in these oft-repeated scenes are supposedly born with not only superior athletic ability, but superior "toughness" as well. It might be "insensitive" to point out the demographics of this silly ritual, which appears to stem from a need for attention.

Contrast that to how hockey players act after being hurt. I'm reading an article about how rookie prodigy Evgeni Malkin of the Penguins injured his shoulder in an exhibition game after colliding with his own teammate (John LeClair), when I stumble across this buried halfway down the report: "Linemate Mark Recchi also was taken to the hospital with a potentially broken cheekbone, the result of being smacked by the stick of Flyers forward Randy Robitaille 69 seconds into the game. Recchi returned to action a few minutes later, but subsequently experienced blurred vision and swelling and was taken for further examination. . ."

As it turns out, Recchi's cheekbone was indeed fractured. Here's a 38 year-old veteranwho's hada very accomplished career and isabout to begin his 19th NHL season, playing in a meaningless pre-season game, whose cheekbone is fractured yet keeps playing until "blurred vision and swelling" made it impossible to continue.

Now that's the definition of both a professional and a warrior. Can anyone imagine a black football player doing the same under similar circumstances? In most cases he would have been taken off the field in an ambulance while players on both teams held hands and said prayers. Yet another reason to support hockey and the many exemplary qualities of white athletes.

In one of his (many) books on the Dallas Cowboys, Skip Bayless wrote that Emmitt Smith pulled this act. He would lay on the ground, milking the situation for all it was worth, Bayless wrote.

This post makes me think of the coach in the movie: "The Program." One of his ghetto-fabulous RB's was knocked to the turf hard in practice and was just laying there. The coach comes over and says, "Are you injured or are you hurt?". Jefferson (RB) looked up at him and said, "Whats the difference, coach?". Coach replied with, "Well, if you injured you can't play, if you're hurt, you can." Once again, coach says, "Now, are you injured or are you hurt?". Jefferson looks up at him, again, and says, "I'm hurt coach."Lol.

Oh, and since we're on the 'injury' topic, does anyone know if Tapdancin' Chad Johnson has come back to "earf" yet from the Russell hit? He was so disoriented in his postgame interview (its on youtube), that a reporter in the background said, "OK, I think we're going to have to come back to Chad later."
smiley36.gif
Haha.

Don Wassall said:
Contrast that to how hockey players act after being hurt.  I'm reading an article about how rookie prodigy Evgeni Malkin of the Penguins injured his shoulder in an exhibition game after colliding with his own teammate (John LeClair), when I stumble across this buried halfway down the report:  "Linemate Mark Recchi also was taken to the hospital with a potentially broken cheekbone, the result of being smacked by the stick of Flyers forward Randy Robitaille 69 seconds into the game.  Recchi returned to action a few minutes later, but subsequently experienced blurred vision and swelling and was taken for further examination. . ."

As it turns out, Recchi's cheekbone was indeed fractured.  Here's a 38 year-old veteran who's had a very accomplished career and is about to begin his 19th NHL season, playing in a meaningless pre-season game, whose cheekbone is fractured yet keeps playing until "blurred vision and swelling" made it impossible to continue.

Now that's the definition of both a professional and a warrior.  Can anyone imagine a black football player doing the same under similar circumstances?  In most cases he would have been taken off the field in an ambulance while players on both teams held hands and said prayers. Yet another reason to support hockey and the many exemplary qualities of white athletes. 

The serious football guys on this site are going give me some flack for this statement, but I'm going to say it anyway. I've played both sports, but I've played a lot more hockey than I have football, and I can tell you with a serious face that Hockey players handle injuries a lot more casually. Hockey players get sliced open, loose teeth, etc., and all during games of which we promptly return to playing in, right after we get stiched up. Could you imagine Jamal running crying around the sidelines on a football field, if someone knocked out one of his gold teeth? He'd cry like a bitch.

Back to the subject. In all my years of playing
(h.s., college, juniors and travel), I can honestly say that I have never once heard a player (other then broken bones) utter the words, "Coach, I'm hurt, I can't play." Never. The reason for this is hockey players love what we do. We love to play, we love to scrap. We see blocking a shot and getting banged up as an accomplishment. Why? Because the painful shot that I just blocked prevented a goal against my team. It means something.

In contrast, black football players seem to look for any excuse possible to not have to play (or work) and still get their check every week. And when they do come back from their bullsh*t injury, they expect their starting job handed back to them on a silver platter. Crybabies.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I got hit extremely hard several times during my old high school football games, and since I was 5-6 150, I didn't have a lot of body to absorb the hits. There were a few times I could hardly move or think, but I stayed in until the series was over. There was no way I was going to leave the game on my own. I think it just depends the pride you have as a player and the motivation you have for continuing to play when hurt. It may not be the wisest thing to do, but I guess it does show how tough we are, sometimes.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
A personal anecdote:

I was playing a pick up game of tackle football in high school. Most of the players on either side were Mexican.

I was running back a kick (sound familiar? LOL). I ran into and partially through a large group of opposing players. One grabbed my feet, another my free arm, the one without the football. I hit the ground face first, ate dirt, busted my lip open on the turf. Of course I jumped up, wiped the blood off and got ready for the next play. I still remember the look on their faces, and what they said; "Why didn't you just drop the ball, man? Why'd you eat it like that?"

My response: "What, and fumble the ball?? No way, man, you're crazy!!"

"LET'S PLAY!"
smiley36.gif

JD074

Master
Ground Fighter said:
Oh, and since we're on the 'injury' topic, does anyone know if Tapdancin' Chad Johnson has come back to "earf" yet from the Russell hit? He was so disoriented in his postgame interview (its on youtube), that a reporter in the background said, "OK, I think we're going to have to come back to Chad later."
smiley36.gif
Haha.

Here it is, check it out guys:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNREzBAnY4&mode=related&sear ch=[/url]

I feel a little sadistic for for finding this funny, but I can't help it! It cracked me up big time!

See, I wasn't bullsh*tting, he was "didcombabalated". lol. Thanks JD074 for posting it here, as I was too lazy to do so.
smiley36.gif