RB/DB -- Reid Fitzgerald

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
January 26, 2009

Productive back getting walk-on interest

Barton Simmons
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Argyle (Texas) Liberty Christian School prospect Reid Fitzgerald has had a very productive high school football career. Lining up at running back, Fitzgerald has eclipsed the 2,000 yard mark in each of the past two seasons. Despite that success, Fitzgerald is still waiting on his first scholarship.

[url]http://rivals100.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&si d=&script=content.asp&cid=904843&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid= [/url]

From watching his video, I got the impression that running back might not be his best fit on the next level.

Not knocking him. I'm not an "expert" on him either.

However, even if he looked more fluid, he still might not have even an FCS offer...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think he has the talent for an FBS scholarship myself, but he is probably more of a mid-major prospect.

It really irks me though that Ben Bowen, Shad Bride, Tyler Tabor, Nick Riccardulli, Corey Soranno, Anthony Urbania and Joshua Wright have no scholarship and that Furr and Swope might not play RB. All those guys should start at tailback in the FBS; the situation is ridiculous.

Mike

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I think he has the talent for an FBS scholarship myself, but he is probably more of a mid-major prospect.

It really irks me though that Ben Bowen, Shad Bride, Tyler Tabor, Nick Riccardulli, Corey Soranno, Anthony Urbania and Joshua Wright have no scholarship and that Furr and Swope might not play RB. All those guys should start at tailback in the FBS; the situation is ridiculous.

Don't forget a guy like Ryan Zirbel.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah I think Ryan Zirbel is another guy with a Portland State offer, but no FBS ones. Haven't watched his highlights. How good is he?

johnnyboy

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Yeah I think Ryan Zirbel is another guy with a Portland State offer, but no FBS ones. Haven't watched his highlights. How good is he?

hey TJ

Ryan plays in CA and he's a very accomplished back. the kid plays in a good league but i have to admit i haven't had a chance to watch him play. i have looked for highlights on the internet but nada yet. here's his scout link, his rivals profile is a joke.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3336916

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
damn good find, Deadlift. this kid looks like a prototype Big Ten or big SEC back. i saw guys that looked just like him every Saturday this past fall, except for his skin color of course.

ToughJ.Riggins said:

i can't believe i read that right. after watching Reid Fitzgerald's highlight video on YouTube, i thought i was watching a younger, whiter version of three of the top-rated running backs in the 2009 NFL draft: Shonn Greene, Javon Ringer, and Arian Foster. Fitzgerald has the same body type (though he's a quite a bit taller than Ringer and a little thinner than Greene and Foster due to his youth), the same running style, and the same speed as all three of these highly touted backs.

TJR, i can't believe you didn't see the similarities!

take another look at Fitzgerald's highlight video, and then watch Shonn Greene's. you know, the Doak Walker Award winner.

then watch Javon Ringer's. you know, the guy who carried the ball the most in D-I this year.

then watch Arian Foster's. you know, the dynamic power back from Tennessee.

Fitzgerald's running style and body type are damn-near identical to those three black backs, yet you don't think he can cut it at a major school? something doesn't add up. what am i missing?

Fitzgerald even has the same listed speed as those three guys! the projected 40 times for the three black backs going into the Combine are: Greene - 4.56-4.58; Ringer - 4.53-4.60; and Foster - 4.59-4.60.

so, please, would someone tell me what Reid Fitzgerald doesn't have that those three Top-10 NFL Draft-rated running backs do have? aside from white skin, i mean.
smiley2.gif

i'm not trying to pick on you TJR, so please don't take it that way.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
To let you know; I was basing this on his stats listed on Scout.com. They listed his stats as 77-474-9 TDs. But I didn't realize those were his sophomore stats and that he had a monster Jr. Year. His Jr. year stats are 321-2,143-6.7-20 TDs.

From his video highlights he certainly has many similarities to some of the top cut-back/ north-south power runners in the FBS. His highlights impressed me and he uses his field angles well to make cuts (his agility isn't his best asset, but it's good enough for the FBS) and make the most out of his runs and has a good burst. His top-end speed is only solid for the FBS, but there are many blacks as you say with similar speed who become stars in the FBS. Fitzgerald's best attribute is that he fights hard for yardage and has a great burst.

However as I said, I was basing him being a mid-major FBS prospect on his mere 474 yards rushing stats I saw. You need a fuller package than 474 yards rushing to get the big offers; even if you are black with impressive highlights normally. I didn't see that his Jr. year stats were so good.

http://northtexas.scout.com/a.z?s=353&p=8&c=1&nid=3360147

You could also compare this guy to a faster Gartell Johnson. Shoon Greene would definitely compare somewhat to him; although I only saw Greene play a couple times. Haven't watched Ringer's highlights so I will take a look.

I wasn't knocking the guys talents; just his lack of production listed on Scout.com because they didn't update his profile; I guess he's not that important to them
smiley5.gif
. I only checked Rivals once a couple months back to watch his highlights; I don't usually use their radical "Caucasian Emasculation" service.

So JC, where would you rank this guy? Do you think he's a top 25 RB in the nation? I'm not sure about that b/c I haven't watched enough highlights yet, but he'd be top 80 for sure if you'd ask me. Scout has him ranked way too low at # 165; which is still better than SOULLESS Rivals and ESPN.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wow Fitzgerald's Youtube highlights are much more impressive than his Rivals ones! I often wonder if Rivals and ESPN edits out some of the best runs when showcasing white prospects to keep the myth of black athletic supremacy going. These bastards have a lot to lose when people finally wake up to their rankings!

The ESPN video of Ryan Swope is horrible. I occasionally have hoped that that soulless pathological lying bastard Tom Luginbill breaks a leg. I'm sick of that ass clown. As a Christian I'm supposed to forgive people like him, but he is quite the manipulator and will never change. I'm positive he knows that he is outright lying. He has no spine at all to even show a little fairness like at least Scout.com, Takkle.com and Tom Lemming do.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I just watched Ben Bowen's highlights. The problem is that there are just so many talented white RBs not given a shot. I don't think Fitzgerald is in the top 25 RBs in the nation, but certainly should be in the 80 or so. Ben Bowen is absolutely a better prospect than Fitzgerald IMO. I was shocked to see how good Ben Bowen was. The guy is an absolute freak of nature. I had heard about him from other posters, but to actually see him myself...wow! I am very sad that he will be falling into obscurity at Portland State.
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

SteveB

Mentor
Fitzgerald is talented, but he plays in a league that is very weak. The private school league in Texas, unlike in other states, is not even close in the level of competition as the public school leagues. Occasionally, a player comes out of this league that is very talented, like Gary Kubiak who played at St. Pius in Houston, but more often the players aren't at the same level as the kids coming out of the public schools. Very few D1 coaches even recruit kids from this league for this reason.

I am not knocking Fitzgerald, he may look like superman against the private schools, but would probably be average if he played against the public schools.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah there are just so many good prospects. Fitz is talented for sure and his Jr. stats were impressive, but if what you say about the level of competition is correct this kid is not a top 50 RB prospect overall. He'd definitely be in my top 100 overall though. And His Youtube highlights show he has talent; he's a FBS prospect for sure!

Would you agree that #165th RB overall is too low Steve B.?