Ray Bradbury

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Ray Bradbury died recently. I thought the media treated it rather casually considering Bradbury was a baby boomer era author whose famous novels were required reading for generations of Americans. Of course it's another era now. Bradbury was the oldest of white males and to a modern media that sees everything through the cult of multicultism there is little for them to say about a man who lived his life in the traditional ways of his people.

Reading his biography I found out some fascinatiing things about the man. Bradbury was born in the Depression in Waukegan Illinois, one of his parents traced their ancestry to the Mayflower. Oddly enough (which may explain the medias lukewarm treatment of his passing) I found no jewish ancestry which is unusual in the fantasy/sci-fi genre of writers from the mid twentieth century.

The man was married for 65 years! His wife passing a few years ago. He was conservative in his politics (another reason for little love from the presstitute media) and was a bit of a Luddite in his beliefs--odd for a sci-fi writer, although he did not consider himself a writer of science fiction. He hated computers, cell phones, TV's, anything that removed the human element from life.

As befits a man who wrote Fahrenheit 451 (about book burning) he loved books. Never going to college Bradbury instead went to the library, 3 times a week for 10 years in his youth. He wrote the classic novel Farenheight 451 using a rented typewriter and paying 10 cents an hour at the UCLA library. It cost him $9.50.

A chance encounter with a British literary critic gave him the chance to put the Martian Chronicles into the hands of someone who could appreciate the book. It was my favorite book from my childhood. I can still remember the cover of that worn paperback I took out at the library and read and re-read. It was called sci-fi but Bradbury considered it fantasy.

He said: First of all, I don't write science fiction. I've only done one science fiction book and that's Fahrenheit 451, based on reality. It was named so to represent the temperature at which paper ignites. Science fiction is a depiction of the real. Fantasy is a depiction of the unreal. So Martian Chronicles is not science fiction, it's fantasy. It couldn't happen, you see? That's the reason it's going to be around a long time — because it's a Greek myth, and myths have staying power.

On his classic novel Fahrenheit 451 many mistook it for a critique of state power because of the book burning but Bradbury disputed that, he meant it as a criticism of peoples dependence on television and mass media to inform and entertain themselves. In the world today with it's empty forms of entertainment, it's fixation on visual forms of media to control and manipulate an increasingly ignorant population of ever growing low IQ tan everypeople.

Bradbury no doubt realised at the end that it would not be necessary to burn books, but rather they will eventually become moldy from non-use and eventually serve as fuel for the fires that will warm the remaining population of societies as they complete the slide back into pre-historic living. During the looting after hurricane Katrina the only stores that remained intact were the bookstores. 50% of the citizens in Detroit cannot read. These people will never find it necessary to burn books except to light fires when the White man no longer delivers electricity.

Menelik

Mentor
The Martian Chronicals was my favorite. R.I.P. mr. Bradbury.

Europe

Mentor
"and was a bit of a Luddite in his beliefs--odd for a sci-fi writer, although he did not consider himself a writer of science fiction. He hated computers, cell phones, TV's, anything that removed the human element from life. "

I am pretty sure he never drove a car too. He hated them. He was able to take the trolleys around the LA area before the car took over. He saw an accident where several people in the car were decapitated, which was one of the reasons he didn't like them. Plus, they didn't add much to life.

Most of the industrialization is a disaster that doesn't add much to life. We have to work at jobs we hate for corporations that are given the status of a human being, but are truly soul destroying, so we can buy crap we don't need at best and stuff that is bad for us at worst.

I think he he did an interview on C-Span. It might be on their website.

Anak

Mentor
I found no jewish ancestry which is unusual in the fantasy/sci-fi genre of writers from the mid twentieth century.

I think that most of them aren't Jewish, although Jews are certainly overrepresented.

Interesting post by the way, I have never read anything by Bradbury but I will try to remedy that someday.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think that most of them aren't Jewish, although Jews are certainly overrepresented.

Interesting post by the way, I have never read anything by Bradbury but I will try to remedy that someday.
I think R is for Rocket was the first book that I ever read(are Hardy Boy books novels?). Yes he was from a different era being raised in the depression and being a writer that didn't attend a 4 year college. When he died I forgot how old he was as the novels I read that he wrote the photos in the jacket of the books showed a man who looked about 45 but the photos were from the mid 60's.....:tongue: Anyway RIP....

Highlander

Mentor
Great eulogy, jaxvid. That would make a great new general topic, too..."Eulogies".

Deplorable media coverage of a great 20th Century author. Mostly ignored probably because he was just an "old White man", I'm sure, but also because he valued humanity over the trans-humanist dreams they have for us. Dehumanize us first, and then kill us (or unplug us.) It's so much easier to justify.

Anyway, I too was a big fan of his writings. I read a lot of his works as a child. "The Martian Chronicles" was my favorite novel and is still one of them. Every few years I'll read it again as it brings back memories of my childhood and a time when there was still a (somewhat) optimistic vision of the future of this country and for Western Civilization as a whole. Or maybe that was just my own naivety at that time.

He had a short stories book as well that I read as a child, and, long ago, on cable, there was "The Ray Bradbury Theater" which was similar in style to the Alfred Hitch****/Twilight Zone series of yore (although without the heavy sci-fi element to it) which was really well done and underrated.

I'll always remember his novel "Dandelion Wine" and more than just for the great name...from Wikipedia:

"The title refers to a wine made with dandelion petals and other ingredients, commonly citrus fruit. In the story, dandelion wine, as made by the protagonist's grandfather, serves as a metaphor for packing all of the joys of summer into a single bottle.

The main character of the story is Douglas Spaulding, a 12-year-old boy loosely patterned after Bradbury. Most of the book is focused upon the routines of small-town America, and the simple joys of yesterday.
"

No wonder the MSM gave his passing no more attention than a footnote.

"Fahrenheit 451", which, amazingly, foreshadowed a lot of the future Police State system to be established in the UK and now, in the U.S., was put to film in 1966 by French director Francois Truffaut, and is one of my favorite films. There are many other parallels in that movie from 1966 to the present as well.

Farhrenheit 451 (1966):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9n98SXNGl8&feature=related

Also, the endearing, eerie, and sometimes bizarre "The Martian Chronicles" was put to film in 1980 and would be the last sci-fi (or "Fantasy") film that would embody a "classic" look and feel and was made just shortly before the human element of film narrative would become expendable, replaced by an endless array of quip one-liners and explosions around every corner to satiate the ever-decreasing attention spans and IQs of a "new" audience.

The Martian Chronicles (1980):
Very good 20-25 minute sample segment that starts here:
http://youtu.be/BqkcYyUVe40?t=32m25s

Here's a toast of Dandelion Wine to the great Ray Bradbury.

Bronk

Mentor
Jax, when you say that Bradbury's passing was treated casually (a well chosen word for it) and then note that he was a conservative, you might see a connection between the two.

Lefties always hold up Fahrenheit 451 as an anti-McCarthyite work when it is really an attack upon what we now call political correctness.

I always liked The Illustrated Man.

R.I.P Ray Bradbury.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I think that Bradbury was also pro-Negro. Wasn't there one chapter in Martian Chronicles where Negroes leave earth so they can find freedom? Come to think of it, though, that is a most excellent idea that should be reintroduced en masse!

I was into Bradbury when i was a kid, and i'd like to reread some of his short story collections like "October Country". It has been a long time since I read about Uncle Einar and the gang.

When i was a freshman in high school I had a very nice English teacher named Mr Howard. He gave me one of my favorite compliments ever when he said my short story sounded like Ray Bradbury.

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
My most memorable chapter from Martian Chronicles was when the astronauts woke up in their old childhood homes in their old hometown.

Kaptain

Master
Ironically I was passing out final tests on Fahrenheit 451 on the day Bradbury died. I had him in my dead pool and google alerts alerted me to his death. In 451 it is explained that minorities played a role in dumbing down America. Minorities were offended by certain content in books, therefore, in order to not offend the books were censored or banned. Bradbury really was great writer.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
This morning during my morning subway commute, I saw a White woman in her late 20s reading Fahrenheit 451. Maybe Bradbury's passing is leading to a small uptick in the popularity of his writings? I for one was not familiar with him or his works but now will try to read one of his novels.

Bradbury is an old fashion Liberal. These same people are now called Conservatives.