Question About Workplace Liability As An Employee

Hey guys, BS2 here.

This is my new account, I am posting now as BS4. I hardly ever post here anymore for personal reasons, and I'm not likely to become a regular poster again but I do read the site regularly and stay in "the loop" of things. It's always a pleasure to visit this site and read everyone's comments.

In my personal life, I'm literally doing perfect, I couldn't imagine a better life for myself. I am 28, turning 29 next month. I am 100% single with no wife, children, or responsibilities (and believe me this kind of personal freedom and lack of responsibility is THE BEST THING EVER). I have a lot of money! I am literally becoming rich and I am also rich in the sense I have no wife, kids, or responsibilities in my life to drag me down.

I work and have worked for roughly the past 3 to 4 years as an apprentice pipefitter. What that basically means is I install, maintain, troubleshoot, repair, and diagnose mechanical piping systems. Most often I work with Natural Gas, or Methane (CH4) piping systems which is used as a combustion fuel to power engines or produce heat. I also work with piping of crude oil/bitumen, propane, butane, water, and steam but not as much as natural gas.

I am currently an hourly paid employee. I do not own a company, am not self-employed, am not a "contractor". So I work for a company as an employee.

The thing to keep in mind about natural gas piping is that it is highly dangerous to the end user (say for example the homeowner that is using it in their house). It is highly explosive, and can quite easily cause death through flammability and explosion. Because natural gas is a combustion fuel, it also creates an "exhaust" that is similar to a car idling in that it creates carbon monoxide which can asphyxiate people to death if an area is not properly vented or ventilated.

Because of the nature of my work I often worry that I could be implicated in a liability issue. Say for example I install an incoming gasline to a group of houses, and for some reason there is a gas leak on some of the piping I have installed, and somebody dies as a result of that gas leak, could I be implicated in a lawsuit or even charged for criminal negligence?

My understanding of employment law is that typically an employee is never financially or criminally liable, rather it is the employer that bears the responsibility for that (except in rare cases where an employee acts maliciously). Also keep in mind that I am an apprentice. I am not a journeyman, master, or fully qualified pipefitter. Technically, by law, I believe my employer is supposed to have a journeyman inspect everything that I have done. When gaslines are installed, they are typically tested via a pressurized air test. I have no control over these tests. Also, when gaswork is done, a "permit" needs to be taken out and in this case I would assume the permit is carried out in my employer's name.

Do you think there is anyway I could be found liable (financially or criminally) for a gas leak causing property damage or death? Am I right that an employer typically assumes all responsibility for a job?

Before somebody says "google it", I already have googled it many, many times and surprisingly there is a lack of information on this topic. Some journeymen pipefitters have been charged with manslaughter for gas or carbon monoxide leaks, but they were journeymen and self employed. I am just an apprentice and an employee. At some point I may have to actually consult a lawyer just to see where I stand. Not that I've had a gas leak or any problems. I always do my best at my job, but mistakes happen, and I don't want to ever be found liable for someone's death.

Thanks guys and I appreciate any comments or feedback I can get, if you have an expert opinion please share it and even if you don't just say what your opinion is!

Last edited:

icsept

Master
I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S., an employee's negligence in the scope of his employment is attributable to the employer.

BS2, I'm 20 years older than you, and financially and emotionally decimated by two divorces. I've recently become familiar with MGTOW. You seem to fit that profile. There's a lot of positives to that lifestyle, if you don't want children.

I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S., an employee's negligence in the scope of his employment is attributable to the employer.

Yes, almost unanimously this is the case in Canada as well. Typically, the employer is responsible for its employee's actions. I am an apprentice but even if I was a journeyman, I think even in that case it is the employer that would be primarily liable. I would like a firm answer to this, I suppose the only place I can get that is with a lawyer.

In the event of a person's death however, the stakes become a little different. There are several examples of pipefitters like me or gas workers in the UK who ran gas lines causing leaks or exhaust siphonage resulting in people dying, and these workers were imprisoned under manslaughter charges. I think they received 3 to 4 years in jail. The argument being that they were qualified and have a duty to perform work to a certain standard. My understanding is these workers where also self employed, so they were contractors taking full responsibility of the job. In my own case, I am not fully qualified yet, and I am one employee and much of our gaswork such as testing and other installs is directed by the company, not me, so I don't think I could ever be liable.

But I tend to worry and would like reassurance. I guess most likely I will need to see a legal professional.

BS2, I'm 20 years older than you, and financially and emotionally decimated by two divorces. I've recently become familiar with MGTOW. You seem to fit that profile. There's a lot of positives to that lifestyle, if you don't want children.

Yes, I've met many men at work and over the years that have become broken men from divorces and whatnot. Worked for a guy who was 40 and divorced and lost everything. Ive seen a lot of sad cases after a divorce. That's not cool you know. I also have friends who are married and in all honesty, they look like slaves and I'd take my life over theirs anyday. Don't get me wrong, I have sexual relationships with women, but in terms of actually dating or marrying its just not my thing. I don't feel lonely at all, on the contrary I quite enjoy the peace and monetary benefits of being alone.

If I was married, or in a relationship I'm sure I'd just be another guy living check to check on credit paying for a permanent mortgage, furniture, cable TV all crap you don't need and expenses I've avoided as a single male. Of course, money is not everything so I also value my freedom, spare time, and hobbies.

It's nice to wake up in the morning and do what I want, not what a nagging wife or kids demand. Its also nice to have a lot of money and me staying single while working hard is the reason I have done well.

Most of all, it's nice to be free of responsibility

Thank you, other young men should take note of your wise words.

Last edited: