Punter Scott Player-Last of his kind

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sean Landetta and Gary Anderson have both retired apparently for good, so Scott is the last NFL player who will ever wear a single bar facemask in a game. Here's a good article about him.

The Last of a Dying Breed - Cardinals Punter Scott Player
ArizonaCardinals_player-10web.jpg

Arizona Cardinals - Scott Player
When punter Scott Player steps off the field for the final time, it will mark the end of an era in the National Football League. The pending retirements of kicker Gary Anderson and of punter Sean Landetta, have left the Cardinal veteran as the lone remaining player to use the single (or one-bar) helmet.

The one-bar face mask design has a long history in the NFL dating back 50 years ago. Well-known Hall of Famers including Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, George Blanda and even Cardinals favorite Larry Wilson all excelled wearing the now-dated style. Citing safety concerns, the NFL now prohibits players from wearing the "one-bar." An exception was made for the few remaining players still wearing it - similar to what the National Hockey League did when it mandated helmets and visors for its players in the 1980s.

Thankfully, Cardinals fans will continue to see Player making "history" on the field for the foreseeable future. The team recently signed the 2000 Pro Bowl punter through the 2007 season.

Player started wearing the "one-bar" when he joined the league in 1998 and doesn't apologize for his taste in equipment. "I got into a bad habit (with other mask styles) of holding the ball too high and it affected by kicks," he recalls. "But with the 'one-bar', there's nothing blocking my vision, the ball or what's in front of me.

Despite the "old school" look, the "one bar" has helped Player be one of the most consistent punters in the league. Last season the eight-year pro had an exceptional campaign, averaging 43.1 yards per punt and downing a career-best 32 kicks inside the opponents' 20.

Player takes the kidding and comments about his helmet in stride. "I constantly hear guys laughing and making fun of it. Some have even asked if they could try the helmet on. It's really no big deal."

His coach agrees. "He doesn't care," says Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea. "He's the 'classic car' in the group. He'll be the last active player to ever wear the one-bar, now that the NFL has outlawed it. But it doesn't make a difference when it comes to his performance"

O'Dea said that Player, who has the longest tenure of anyone on the Cardinal's roster, sets a good example. "He's not the most vocal guy, so he leads by how he performs. He works hard at doing what a punter needs to do and I think he's at that Pro Bowl caliber again."

Player takes his role on the team very seriously. "I'm a hired gun - If the offense isn't moving the ball, it's my job to put our defense in a good spot. It's a lot like being a closer in baseball. I've been doing the same thing since I came into the league, so I'm just going to keep doing it."

Despite his contract extension, Player's not relaxing, working hard to prepare for the coming season. "I never get comfortable - each practice could be my last. Contracts aren't guaranteed, so I'm not taking anything for granted."

No matter what helmet he wears or how much teasing he takes for it, O'Dea said it best ,"It really doesn't matter what he wears. It's his performance on the field that's important."

By Scott D. Jones/Special to www.AZCARDINALS.com
This article was taken from www.azcardinals.com. All rights reserved.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If you have ever played football you would know that,the one bar helmet is an accident waiting to happen. Glad that helmet has been banned. Oldtimers that played with the helmet have less teeth than your average hobo.......
smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Maybe so, but they were tough as boot leather. My Great Uncle played with a leather helmet in the late 40's and thinks all the equipment guys wear now makes them soft. I think he has a point. I bet there would be less hot dogging if they wore little or no facemasks.

foreverfree

Mentor
Colonel Reb, I remember Terry Bradshaw, when he was with CBS(?), being quoted in a newspaper as suggesting that banning facemasks might reduce injuries. How, I don't recall.

Anyone know whether a player can have a facemask custom designed, or do they come right off the shelf? I thought Morten Andersen's facemask (welcome back, Morten
smiley1.gif
) was one of the funkiest. Bradshaw himself had that same funky mask early in his career, as did Bob Griese. OTHO Charlie Smith, a black (I know, I know) WR on the 1980 Eagles, had a mask that looked like a GD *cage*! Wrapped halfway around the helmet.

John

Weltner

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
Maybe so, but they were tough as boot leather. My Great Uncle played with a leather helmet in the late 40's and thinks all the equipment guys wear now makes them soft. I think he has a point. I bet there would be less hot dogging if they wore little or no facemasks.

Not with the blacks.Nothing will ever stop them from doing that.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know it was a different time, but black players prior to the 70s didn't do elaborate celebrations. If guys had no facemasks, then someone could knock their teeth out on the next series and that would shut them up. Now, players are behind that wall of protection we call a facemask. Because of that, I believe, they are more likely to do stupid things. It makes them feel invincible. I know because all my high school teammates used to talk about it all the time. I got a bigger facemask than some of them and they were jealous. They said they'd feel like Superman if they were behind that mask, because then nobody could throw a punch up in there. Personally, I have never liked huge, intricate facemasks, even as a 5-6 150 defensive tackle. If I had my choice, and was playing ball now, I'd pick this one.

JrichterBuf.JPG

Speaking of Morten's facemask, as well as Bradshaw's later one, here is the model in question. The Dungard DG205
DG205.jpg

Foreverfree, you mentioned Bob Greise's mask. Well it is a Dungard, but not the same. His is this DG105 model, also introduced in 1964. Terry Bradshaw wore one of these at Louisiana Tech and for his first years as a Steeler.
DG105.jpg

This is the Dungard DG207 that Archie Manning wore around 1979 with the Saints. He changed masks every year, which is a record I'm sure.
DG207.jpg

By the way, here is the first of what I call the first generation modern facemasks. This is the 1-OPO Square Jaw clip-on model that came out in 1968. Archie Manning wore one of these his Junior year at Ole Miss in 1969.
1968SQNOP-180.jpg

To answer your question about custom facemasks. Yes in the past, but not now. All facemasks must pass several tests and have to be manufactured by certain companies in order to do so. Once you are issued a facemask, you can modify it as much as you want, as long as it meets the rules for minimal protection.

One facemask I will never forget was the one Steve Christie used for a few years with the Bills. The back part of where the bottom attached to the helmet was just like the ones you see in the newspaper, shaped like a triangle. Here's a bad photo of it.
christiebuf.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Uh, I dont remember posting that picture and claiming it to be a glamour shot!
smiley4.gif
Its meant to show that he wears a single bar facemask, and show it in a large enough size that you can clearly see it. If you can find a picture of him with his helmet on up close that is better than that one, please post it. The above picture shows Scott doing his job, which is not easy, no matter what the Caste System media says about it. The expression on his face shows this to be true. Any more complaints without suggestions for improvement?

foreverfree

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Uh, I dont remember posting that picture and claiming it to be a glamour shot!
smiley4.gif
Its meant to show that he wears a single bar facemask, and show it in a large enough size that you can clearly see it. If you can find a picture of him with his helmet on up close that is better than that one, please post it. The above picture shows Scott doing his job, which is not easy, no matter what the Caste System media says about it. The expression on his face shows this to be true. Any more complaints without suggestions for improvement?

IOW, backrow, how does that shot do Player "no favors"?
smiley5.gif

John

backrow

Hall of Famer
i was politely trying to say that he looks ugly in this pic... lol, how hard is that to understand?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Backrow, Sorry if I took your comment wrong, I just saw it in a different way.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Does anybody remember the last postional player to wear a one bar helmet? I think it was Theismann?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
He could be the last one, white is right. I know several QB's did in the 70s, but Theisman used one until his retirement in 1985. I know some WRs used 2 bars through the late 80s and even early 90s, but I dont know of anyone after Theisman who wore the one bar other than kickers.

s_theismann_i.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Morten Anderson won yesterday's game on a 32 yard field goal in overtime. He's still sporting his Dungard too! He's now the second oldest player in NFL history. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Scott is back and playing for the Browns.

GaryPlayer9-30-7.jpg

backrow

Hall of Famer
just how the hell is this facemask going to protect him from anything? might as well not wear one!
smiley4.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Is it me or does he look like Father Christmas visiting the Cleveland Browns........
smiley36.gif

yanling

Guru
I wonder how those people who play rugby ever emerge from their
games without catastrophic injuries. They sometimes have these
odd-looking protective headband things, but even these seem
perfunctory.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yanling said:
I wonder how those people who play rugby ever emerge from their
games without catastrophic injuries. They sometimes have these
odd-looking protective headband things, but even these seem
perfunctory.

they serve pretty much just one purpose, protect your ears
smiley2.gif

Kiwi

I was just wondering about why football players need to wear helmets and all those really big pads. It seems to me they cause more damage than they prevent, what with players hitting at higher speed and tackling with poor technique, like what happened to Kevin Everett.

09.jpg

^^^^
Why rugby players wear headbands (doesn't seem to have worked for this guy though)
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Kiwi

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kiwi, I think the same thing sometimes. I think some protection is needed, but not the bulky stuff they wear now. Injuries to the head have been extremely reduced as a result of modern helmets though. The problem with the modern heavy padded helmets is that some guys use them as spears. Hitting someone at the wrong angle is almost a death sentence. Chucky Mullins never took another step after this one in 1989 and died a year and a half later.

ChuckyMullins.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Since the discussion forum re-design, I often check to see what threads are being viewed by visitors to the site and I just looked this one up through an advanced search and discovered it has been viewed 7,035 times. Pretty amazing considering how short and old this thread is. I'm guessing we have a much larger audience than we know, because a lot of visitors to the site have been reading this and other threads regularly.