Proof of a caste system

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to share something that has been bothering me. I live in Wallington, NJ which is a small, mostly Polish town. There are almost no blacks living here. We had a great running back a few years ago who was white. His name is David Popek and he is actually my neighbor. He is now sitting the bench at a Division III school. He plays for the College of NJ.

What bothers me is we have this black running back name Alfred Tillerson. He also has been playing linebacker. Here is a link http://syracuse.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=71040. This kid is not half as good as David was yet he has great offers from schools such as West Virginia and Syracuse. We got screwed again. Now I have seen some great white athletes in recent years in my town. None of them got any Division 1 attention at all.Edited by: whiteathlete33

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yes he is sitting the bench but that is the point. He is a better athlete than this Tillerson kid. Popek is getting this kind of treatmebnt because he is white.

johnnyboy

Guru
TCNJ is a majority white team. if this kid is warming the bench its bc he's not that good. using Popek as an example doesn't work bc Popek isn't a good hb that got screwed. Danny Woodhead would be a good example of a good hb that gets screwed in recruiting.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I know he isn't a top talent but the black kid is not as good as him and has many Division I offers. That is the point I am trying to make.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
A while back, I posted some fairly poignant replies to an article that Kevin Roberts wrote on Bleacher Report about the demise of white RB's. I just recently got this reply to one of my posts from a parent who has gone through the caste system first-hand, and the results are truly sad. Here is what he wrote:

I know first hand all about this type of thing.
My son Derek was the starting tailback at one of the top JC programs in the country Bakersfield College in "03" Derek was a 5'11" 220 lbs 4.43 40 guy whom had all the tools. He had transferred from EAC after his freshman season because the coaching staff at that program were all let go so Head Coach told him to transfer to another program. He was placed at EAC by LaVell Edwards of BYU at the time. So we got tape out to a recruiting service whom were out of CA and they got the tape to Coach Dallas Grider at Bakersfield College and he called and asked if Derek was a white kid or a black kid and I said, well he's a white kid and his response was he can't be white cause ain't no white kid run like that. We want him in our program, how soon can you guys get out here? Well, I said ASAP! He had us in his home and stated to Derek and Myself that Derek would get at least 20-25 carries per game if he won the starting tailback position. Well, he beatout 12 other tailback which 11 of them were black. He won the starting tailback position and he averaged almost 7 yards per carry his soph. season and had a 30 yard average on 14 KO returns. He graduated at BC and was on the Dean's List and was trying to land that D-1 scholarship, well, the recruiting service we used sent out over 12 or so highlight films to the programs that were in need of a tailback and whom they had contact with and they heard back from all the programs and Mr. Smith not real name told me that every single recruiter said, great talent and ability. Is he a white kid or a black kid and Mr. Smith said, he is a white kid and they all stated we are looking for a black kid at that position. Mr. Smith told me he was dumbfounded and thought to himself what in the world makes a difference what color you are? But, that is the what we were being told from D-1 coaches and their recruiting coordinators. What a shame. Anyway, I was contacted by another coach from an NAIA program in the Kansas City area as the recruiting service sent film to this program. Well, this coach which I will give his name. Coach George Papageorgiou the running backs coach at this program stated to me that after watching your son's highlight tape I told myself I'm watching a D-1 tailback he stated to me why do I say this well as the running backs coach it's my job to know what a D-1 tailback looks like and your son is. He is the best tailback/athete we have seen in this program for over 30 years and the last tailback at this program to even compare to your son is former Buffalo Bills running back Jamie Mueller. He said, at this stage of your son's career he is better then Jamie was. He has all the tools you look for in a tailback. He has great size, speed, acceleration, and he has tremendous body lean. Excellant blocker and has excellent hands catching the ball. He stated to me all your son has todo is come here for a visit and make his decision and he will have an opportunity to play on Sunday afternoon. He has that type of ability. Well, Derek decided to go there. He did have an offer from Boise State to walkon but he wanted and need a full-ride. So, he was this schools starting tailback in "04" and in his first game he had 7 carries for over 80 yrds in one half of play. Thing were looking very exciting for him but he had a severe ankle injury during the game in which he continued to play but next day he couldn't walk on it. To my surprise this program didn't send him to get an MRI as they wanted to treat the injury themselves. Well they treated the ankle for almost 3 weeks before they sent him to the hospital to get an MRI cause the injury was not healing. The doctors diagnoised the injury as a complete dislocation and hyperextension tearing 3 ligaments. Said, injury would take at least 14 weeks to a year to heal. Well, the head coach had Derek back on the practice field in less then 5 weeks from injury. Never played just practiced for no reason. Well, come springtime and spring football his ankle was doing well but something on the top of his foot hurt so they the coaches sent him to doctor and they did an MRI and found one of the worse stress fractures they have ever seen. Senior season lost. Career over.

I'm sorry this was so long but my point in all of this is maybe if he had been able to go D-1 as we know he had the talent and abiltiy this injury thing may not have happend but or at least it would have been taken care of correctly.

White kids can play if they are talented enough and given the opportunity they can be just as good as a black kid.

I might also add that most black kids give credit to white tailbacks that can perform. As all did when my son beat them out they just said, damn you're good. Never seen a white kid run that fast. Maybe we should get rid of all the WHITE football coaches and then just maybe a WHITE RUNNING BACK will get a fair chance! We need more BLACK COACHES!!!!!!!Edited by: FootballDad

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Great post and very interesting stuff FootballDad. Every time I think of a white tailback that COMPLETELY got screwed I think of Nile Knapp. Knapp is the best case since, I've been on this site, of a guy who blows you away with his highlight tape (closest thing to Barry Sanders like moves I've seen) has mesmerizing production (led Georgia in H.S rushing) and has elite measurables. I'm surprised Bronco Mendenhall (BYU) or Turner Gill didn't offer him (although he may not have accepted due to his family situation with his grandfather). Gill has been pretty fair to white skill players since he's been an FBS coach.

On the last comment: I notice that blacks seem to be polarized toward how they see and treat whites. Some black coaches will try harder than a white coach to be fair- b/c he knows what happened to black QBs in the past and knows he won't be called "pro-white" for trying to be fair.

Coaches and recruiters can only do so much though without losing their job due to Rivals media- and their college/team staff's hostility. In rare cases they can even lose the racist black players on their team. And that finishes my last point. You don't find many blacks in between in their views toward whites. I find they either have animosity toward whites or want to forgive the past and bring about true equality cause they've been there. It's too bad that there are still so many blacks that harbor hostility toward whites- like that joke of a writer Keilyn Ellis on BR.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
In my experience at the youth and high school level, the black coaches that I've worked with are far more "colorblind" than their white counterparts. Another case in point is the coach who convinced my son to stay on his Pop Warner team and be the starting RB, a black guy. He promoted my son over the incumbent back, who is mulatto, because both my son, and another white kid, were both better. The head coach, however, who is white, drools over affletes on other teams. He was at our flag football game trying to "recruit" black kids to play for his youth league team, even though all of his white kids were busy kicking their butts.