Pride: The Second Coming

Poacher

Mentor
Good Pride card coming up on the 24th. Headlined by Wanderlei Silva v. Dan Henderson

Can't wait to see Silva get KTFO'd. Dan Henderson is the forgotten champion of MMA. He seems to be a nice guy as well. War Hendo!

We've also got Takanori Gomi going up against Nick Diaz. Gomi will probably hurt him.

Mac Danzig will be fighting Hayato Sakurai. I'll take Danzig.

Several othe rinteresting fights as well.

dkr77

Guru
Henderson / Silva should be a battle. Henderson's giving up some weight since Silva is naturally the bigger man. Gomi / Diaz should be an excellent fight also. Diaz is one tough SOB and he could give Gomi trouble. I have never watched Matt Danzig fight but I know 'Mach" Sakurai is world class at 160 lbs. Sound's like I'll have to buy another PPV come the 24th.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
dkr77 said:
Sound's like I'll have to buy another PPV come the 24th.

I hear you. I'm going to broke buying MMA PPV's. The Pride card is stacked.

Henderson / Silva will be a great fight. I want Hendo to win but he better bring his lunch pail.

I think Gomi / Diaz is an interesting match up, but I think Gomi takes it.

Sakurai should beat Danzig, too.

Then you have Misaki v Frank Trigg, Shogun v Overeem, along with Joachim Hansen, Nogueira, Nakamura, and Kharitonov all on the card as well.

Great night of fights.

dkr77

Guru
I enjoy watching "Hell boy" Hansen and Kharitonov always puts on a good fight! I seem to recall recently reading where the UFC was trying to sign Hansen to a contract. Anyone else hear this?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
*** SPOILER ALERT ***</font>

NOTE: Not in chronological order.

Some guy from Cameroon just knocked out Nogueria in the first round. Brutal left hook, Nog's head bounced off the mat when he hit the floor. He was OUT. Was Sukudjou's (sp?) debut in Pride.

Trigg by UD over Misaki. Boring fight, Trigg had Misaki's back all night but did very little in the way of g n' p or subs.

Hansen by ugly, ugly arm bar over Ireland in the 3rd. He had is sunk deep but Ireland wouldn't tap. Hansen warned the ref he was going to put it on hard. Ireland screamed and the ref jumped in to stop the fight.

Lee over Wiuff first round guillotine.

LOL @ the announcers using the length of the fighter's shorts to describe them when one fighter is white (Danzig) and the other Japanese (Sakurai).
smiley36.gif

Sak is owning Danzig first 3 minutes, landing bombs and kicks left and right. Danzig has been dropped already but they're still fighting. Mac makes it out to the next round.

Lots of standup this round, Mac advancing but Sak picking him apart with kicks and punches. Finally, it's over - Sak by KO. He hit Mac with a hard overhand right that dropped him like a sack of potatoes.

Kharitonov v Russo (sp?), a cop from Chicago. Believe it or not, the cop was dominating, throwing some bombs and taking down Kharitonov hard. But Khartinov gets the sub by armbar from the bottom. There was some controversy because Russo was complaining afterwards, but they're debating whether it was because he was trying to say he didn't tap (which he did), or if Kharitonov held onto the armbar too long (which he did) while the ref had to actually pry him off.

Next up, Alistair Overeem v Shogun.

Overeem was dominating the standup. He knocked Shogun down a few times but always let him get back to his feet. Shogun finally got the fight on the ground though. Overeem was flat on his back, legs bent, with Shogun standing over him. Suddenly, Shogun leaped over Overeem's outstretched legs and landed a hard shot to the jaw, landing on top of Overeem. Overeem appeared to be out, but Shogun landed 3-4 more hard, clean shots before the ref stopped the fight.

Shogun by KO.

Next up, Gomi v Diaz.

WoW! Incredible fight! Incredible! Gomi took Diaz down in the first 10 seconds, you think it's over. But Diaz goes for a weird rolling submission, gets an escape, they're back on their feet. And they start throwing bombs. Everything Diaz throws, he's teeing off on Gomi. Gomi swinging back with haymakers, drops Diaz with a hard right. He's out! NO! Gomi jumps on him, Diaz goes for another rolling sub and they're back on their feet. Diaz is sharp, he is connecting with everything he throws, Gomi is rocked! END ROUND ONE

Diaz comes out throwing. He is still sharp and connecting with everything he throws. Gomi is throwing haymakers but landing few. The ref calls a break because Diaz is bleeding all over the place, got some bad cuts - but the fight continues. Diaz begins picking Gomi apart. Gomi gesturing at the ref, I thought he said he was poked in the eye but the announcers said Gomi was trying to get the ref to stop the fight because of Diaz' cuts.

Diaz resumes his precision bust up of Gomi, but Gomi scores the takedown. Two seconds later Diaz has Gomi in an unusual triangle and Gomi taps!

DIAZ WINS BY SUB! INCREDIBLE FIGHT!

Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
DAN HENDERSON IS THE MAN!!!

What a fight! Henderson KO's Silva!!

The first round found Silva in Henderson's guard. The ref stood them up for inactivity and gave them both a warning. The two then went after each other, with Henderson making like Diaz and throwing the cleaner, crisper punches, and Silva throwing bombs. Henderson looked like he stunned Silva and then bam right at the bell, Silva rocked Henderson and almost knocked him out. Henderson was saved by the bell!

Round two started with more of the same, and then Henderson got the takedown and spent almost the entire round pounding on Silva.

In the third, they again started the same, throwing bombs and punches. Silva got Henderson's back standing, but couldn't do anything with it. He clocked Henderson with a hard clean shot to the side of the head when he broke away, you could hear it hit cleanly. They were right over the announcers. Henderson was rocked but Silva failed to capitalize and then - BAM Henderson hits Silva with a spinning backfist!

Henderson follows up with a barrage of punches and hits Silva with a clean, hard, straight left right to the chin. Silva's arms go up and his body topples over like a felled tree, his head bouncing off the canvas. He was O-U-T!!

HENDERSON BY KO! NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT PRIDE CHAMPION!!
He is now the belt holder in two weight classes!

Way to go, Dan Henderson!

Overall an A++! Great night of fights! Edited by: White Shogun

JD074

Master
Diaz beat Gomi?! Unbelievable! He's a good fighter, but not an elite UFC fighter. How do you interpret that?

Kudos to Henderson! I can't wait to see these two fights!

Poacher

Mentor
Great night of fights!

War DAN!!!

Gomi didn't seem like himself. It seemed as if he didn't train as hard as he should have. I mean he was just standing there with his hands down not playing any defense at all. If one didn't know any better one would think that there was some funny business going on in that fight. But I digress...

Best PPV card I've ever bought with the possible exception of the open weight Grand Prix final.

Danzig got tooled. Those leg kicks were really starting to mount up. He was noticeably limping.

And of course, Dan Henderson...he got nailed a couple of times by Wanderlei but weathered the storm and how about that spinning back fist! Wandy never saw it coming! Whap! Way to go Dan you are no longer the forgotten champion.

What the hell was that thing standing beside Nicholas Cage? Anyone know?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It wasn't just Gomi, almost all of the top Pride guys got tooled fighting what we consider second-tier UFC fighters. Trigg beat Misaki, after Trigg lost his last two fights in the UFC back to back by rear naked choke!

And Sudokjou (sp?) is 2-1 and just got KO'd in WEC, yet he KO's NOG???

Even Overeem and the Chicago cop were winning their fights against Shogun and Kharitinov til they suddenly lost.

I think Gomi lost because he underestimated Diaz, and was rocked by Diaz' punches. Gomi probably expected Diaz to be intimidated, especially after he took him down in the first ten seconds. But Diaz comes to fight every time and I like the way he took the fight to Gomi.

I only hope the next few UFC cards offer up as exciting fights as these.

As for Nicolas Cage, are you talking about Chuck Norris? All of those Hollywood types look like weirdos to me.
Edited by: White Shogun

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thanks Shogun for the play-by play. I am not suprised by the results of the Nick Diaz fight. He almost always seems to rise to the level of the competition and I picked him to win the fight before it started. That guy from Cameroon(what's his name) knocking out Nogueria was a suprise. But anything can happen once you get in the ring(or cage). Dan Henderson is the man and I would love to see him come to the UFC one day. A Henderson-Liddell fight would be incredible. It's amazing to me that a guy like Henderson with a greco- roman background in wrestling could become so skilled at striking and submissions. Silva's star is fading. Maybe he should come to the UFC and beat up on Melvin Guillard! Get his confidence back!

dkr77

Guru
Wasn't the guy next to Nicholas Cage his son? He looked an awful lot like him. I would like to see the UFC snatch up Henderson and cut him loose on Anderson Silva. Diaz vs Gomi was incredible. It looked to me that Gomi exhausted himself trying to stop Diaz in the first round and when Diaz survived the onslaught Gomi lost his will to fight.

If you look around the latter part of the second round Gomi say's something to the ref about stopping the fight because of the cut on Diaz cheek. At the time Gomi was trying to get the ref to stop the fight Diaz was marching forward throwing punches. I know Diaz has lost a few fight's in the UFC but he was alway's exciting and was never really overwhelmed by anyone. Great night of fight's though!

Triad

Mentor
The two stars of the night finished their fights with injuries. Diaz broke a bone in his face (orbital bone) and Henderson broke a bone in his hand.

Triad

Mentor
This is what Diaz looked like afterwards. I believe this is the same injury (fractured orbit) that dropped Bob Sapp against CroCop in K-1. Sapp immediately collapsed in tears; Diaz went on to finish Gomi. Amazing!

l_3d06bed2f291bba1f8db775d915d481d.jpg

guest301

Hall of Famer
My Lord, the courage of these guys is off the chart. Just incredible!