Pavlik vs Martinez

Westside

Hall of Famer
I like both of these fighters and wish they were fighting and beating affelets instead. That being said, if Kelly shows up like he did against Bopkins and Sergio shows up like he did against Williams, Sergio is going to get a UD or a possible late TKO.

However, if Kelly shows up like he did against Taylor which was two years ago, and Martinez shows up like he did last fight, I think Kelly wins a decision. I don't know how Sergio will react to a big middleweight's power. I think once he feels it will dissuede him from jumping in with his left hook.

The winner of this is then set up for a big fight with Williams, who I think was ruined by Martinez and got a gift decision.

The good thing about this fight is that it is a sign that boxing is being dominated by whites, who now have to fight each.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Martinez was robbed in the Williams fight. I think the scoring was fixed because they want to keep some black champs around.

Blue Devils

Mentor
20100416pavlik012a.jpg

Weights: Pavlik 159.5 Martinez 159.5

I see Pavlik winning by knockout.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Kelly by UD or late round stoppage. Man, I wish they did not have to fight each other. The winner gets Williams in a big fight, with the promotion pushing the racial angle especially if Kelly wins. I don't mind the racial angle, especially if our guy wins.

Westside

Hall of Famer
f3dor, Martinez is a Spainard who lives in Argentina. It appears he is addicted to a tanning bed, tanning spray or runs in the sun without a shirt on.
smiley36.gif

f3dor

Guru
Westside said:
f3dor, Martinez is a Spainard who lives in Argentina. It appears he is addicted to a tanning bed, tanning spray or runs in the sun without a shirt on.
smiley36.gif

i just assume he was some bacl hispanic for some reason, my apologies.

Dam its ashame he lost to paul williams. hes getting terrible hype. i heard he did shots that could have brain damaged paul willams

Westside

Hall of Famer
f3dor Martinez won that fight with Williams, it was a great fight. Williams got the home town decision. I mentioned in previous posts that Sergio ruined Williams. William if he fights Kelly or Sergio will get destroyed. Kelly is going to have his hands full for the first 6 rounds with Sergio. Make no mistake.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Williams isn't as good as he's hyped up to be. Pavlik can beat him if he's in top shape and shows up as the same Pavlik who fought Taylor twice.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This fight was close to being a classic. If Pavlik had gutted it out while being near blind from the blood streaming down his face I think the fight would have been talked about for years. Martinez was a hidden gem until the Williams fight. He needs to strike while the iron is hot, because at 35 his speed and athleticism could fade soon. As for Pavlik I forgot he turned pro at 18 and spent 7 years developing before he made his championship run. He might be peaked out at 28. If he is he might need to retire as he only needs to look at Taylor or Lacy to see what can happen if you stick around too long in boxing. Edited by: white is right

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
It was a brilliant boxing performance by Sergio Martinez.

Martinez was the worst possible style match-up for him, but Kelly Pavlik will be back and win titles in the future.

I'd like to see Pavlik-Williams, which is a better style match-up for Kelly since Williams is easier to hit. Pavlik is heavy-handed, as Martinez acknowledged at the post-fight presser last night, so I think he would become the first to KO Williams.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I agree style wise Martinez was about the worst for Pavlik. Williams will be a better style matchup. Pavlik might get the winner of Martinez vs Williams.

Westside

Hall of Famer
What! Kelly has rematch cluase! He should enforce it fire Leow and hire Roach or Steward and have the rematch at the end of summer.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes your right I meant he might go for the winner right away, instead of taking a tune up or two. The money is in fighting the winner of Williams-Martinez II or Martinez-Pavlik II. But it would be more prudent to take a tune up or two.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Another mistake Kelly made against Sergio was almost non existent body attack. With fiters like Sergio u have to punish the body to slow him. Kelly should have been ripping shots at his body, ribs, shoulders ,elbows everything. Kelly for some forgot!

j41181

Master
f3dor said:
<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->

pavliks good, sergios excellent, and def got robbed against paul williams.
<div> </div>
<div>Good prediction westsie btw.</div>
<div> </div>
Pavlik needs to change trainers, Martinez needs a rematch with Williams. I think Martinez has finally earned his keep. Not bad for someone who is 35.

Congratulations nonetheless to Sergio Martinez!
smiley32.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
I was thinking the same thing about him a young 35 yr old. Sergio is gonna make alot of money fighting Kelly and Willliams again. Having the undisputed middle weight belt gives u buco leverage!

The Hock

Master
I watched the replay, and I know Kelly can beat Martinez. Kelly clearly won rounds 5 thru 8 and was on his way to a solid win, but the second cut messed his vision up. He had Martinez figured out and was out boxing him and landing the heavier punches till he got cut again in the ninth.

Kelly needs a little rest then get right back in there with him.

Westside

Hall of Famer
The Hock your right Kelly can win the rematch. But he made the mistake of head hunting in the first 6 rounds of this fight. If he would have put the effort in earlier, Sergio would not have been as elusive the entire fight. I have boxed, and the way Sergio was able to move and hit for almost the entire fight is a feat in of itself. Congrats to Sergio, but I wanted Kelly to win, only because he is an American White. Sergio I would want against any other. Kelly should take the rematch with a different Trainer, change is good, except of course your talking about Obama who is a complete distaster.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
My hats off to Martinez. Kelly Pavlik has much soul searching, management and career considerations in order. I would recommend a change of trainer, hometown and perhaps some counseling(if he is abusing alcohol).

Pavlik had put Youngstown on the map again, however, it appears the blue collar, average guy atmosphere of the city may be too tempting and distracting for Kelly.

It may be time for Kelly to move away, get the career back on track, regain the titles,then hang up the gloves so he can hang out with the guys back in Youngstown Ohio.

JD074

Master
Yeah, why not train at Big Bear? Get away from home for a little while, and it would be good for his conditioning. I doubt if he'll ever leave Loew or Youngstown. Too loyal, or set in his ways, or both.

Westside

Hall of Famer
He can still be loyal to Leow but have Steward or Roach as lead trainer. Leow could also learn from the masters. Kelly is still young at 28. He needs to shake things up. Steward or Roach can improve him. Yeah the blood was blinding him but boxing is a brutal sport.

If Kelly would have taxed Sergio's body maybe the outcome would have been different. The ole "would of, could of and should of line". Kelly take that rematch clause, because right now your options have substantially narrowed. Securing that rematch clause was huge in terms of putting money in Kelly's pocket. New trainer, new techinque and new attitude. I hope for Pavlik v Martinez at the end of summer.