Pats linemen are brainy

Bart

Hall of Famer
JB Cash pointed out that 18 of the 20 offensive linemenin the playoffs -- are white. This article helps to explain why.

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=keepthisinmindpatsline me&prov=tsn&type=lgns[/url]

(snip)

By Wonderlic standards, the Patriots have a bunch of Phi Betta Kappas protecting quarterback Tom Brady and opening holes for Laurence Maroney and Kevin Faulk.

Here are the five starters, the year they took the Wonderlic test at the Combine and their scores:

<TABLE =VTStandardTable width="50%" align=left>
<T>
<TR =VTStandardTable>
<TD>Player, position </TD>
<TD>year </TD>
<TD>score </TD></TR>
<TR =VTStandardTableOdd>
<TD>Matt Light, left tackle </TD>
<TD>2001 </TD>
<TD>29 </TD></TR>
<TR =VTStandardTableEven>
<TD>Logan Mankins, left guard </TD>
<TD>2005 </TD>
<TD>25 </TD></TR>
<TR =VTStandardTableOdd>
<TD>Dan Koppen, center </TD>
<TD>2003 </TD>
<TD>28 </TD></TR>
<TR =VTStandardTableEven>
<TD>Stephen Neal, right guard </TD>
<TD>2001 </TD>
<TD>31 </TD></TR>
<TR =VTStandardTableOdd>
<TD>Nick Kaczur, right tackle </TD>
<TD>2005 </TD>
<TD>29 </TD></TR></T></TABLE>That's an average of 28.4, which is well above 24, the average score when the test was administered to miscellaneous people of various professions.

That also means Patriots offensive linemen are smarter than the average clerical worker (21), bank teller (22), sales person (24) and ... uh ... journalist (26).

The Patriots quintet has a higher average Wonderlic score than the offensive lines of the other three teams left in the playoffs. The Packers have a 26.8, the Chargers have a 26.6 and the Giants have a 25.6.

(snip)

G

A 20 on the wonderlic is roughly equal to a 100 on a stanford-binet. Every point above or below 20 is roughly equal to 2 points on a stanford-binet.

Stephen Neal was the 1999 NCAA wrestling champion at 285. He beat Brock Lesnar 3-2 in the final.Edited by: nevada

GWTJ

Mentor
I would be curious to know the average scores for all the teams O-lines and see if there is a decrease in average score as the O-lines get blacker.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great post Bart!
smiley32.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Offensive linemen rank at the top of the Wonderlic scoring. It would be interesting to see the Wonderlic scores of black offensive linemen to see if they are in the upper portion too.

jaxvid said:
Offensive linemen rank at the top of the Wonderlic scoring. It would be interesting to see the Wonderlic scores of black offensive linemen to see if they are in the upper portion too.

They might be if its relative, but they most certainly wouldn't if you were comparing them to Whites.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Light is quite the overachiever. According to The Sporting News (2/18/08), "LT Matt Light made the Pro Bowl but is merely a solid player. He struggles with speed rushers."

Yeah that pathetic "merely solid" New England o-line and Matt Light. Too bad it's not comprised of less than brainy, 360 pound statues. Then we would hear about how amazingly giftedit is, even while Brady is running for his life every game.

Charlie

Guru
Well, according to Tom LaPine of The Bleacher Report all this CFer praise of white linemen is uncalled for:

"...No stats, no records, simply my favorite offensive linemen.

1. Anthony Munoz. The finest left tackle ever. Paul Brown knew talent. Munoz was the third-overall pick in the 1980 NFL Draft. His selection was a major risk because knee problems limited him to only eight games played his junior and senior years combined. Without a doubt, THE best draft choice in Bengal history.

2. Willie Anderson (black). A giant man with a giant heart. A four-time Pro Bowl selection with the Bengals.

3. Bruce Matthews. Played 19 years with the Oilers/Titans franchise. Played all five offensive line positions at different times in his career.

4. Max Montoya. Bengals four-time Pro Bowl guard. Played on both Bengal SB teams.

5. Will Shields (black). A fixture in the Pro Bowl. Played entire career for the Chiefs.

6. John Hannah. Sports Illustrated dubbed Hannah as the finest offensive lineman ever on a 1981 cover. Played entire career with the Patriots.

7. Conrad Dobler. The dirtiest NFL player ever, but he makes my list because he was honest about his antics. Very rough life after football.

8. Kyle Turley made my list simply because he came to his quarterback's defense when Damien Robinson of the Jets was roughing him up. Yes, he went too far, but I bet that Robinson never messed with Turley or a QB again.

9. Tony Mandarich. I chose Tony because he is the prime example of what steroids can do to a man. Overall second pick of the 1989 draft by the Packers. What size, what speed, what a physical specimen. What the hell did Michigan State do to stop his steroid use? Answer: Nothing!

10. Dave Rimington. Great college center, but an average center in the pros..."

But no Orlando Pace?

Patrick

Guru
Funny, when Woodhead was in the backfield last Monday I thought hey - white QB, 5 white OL, Welker - that is 8 white guys - if Gronkowski gets in there then thats 9 out of 11.

But then they showed the OL - and they had a black guy in for some reason - and it was the guy they got from Atlanta I believe. Only black lineman - only OL man to be charged with grabbing his girlfriend by the neck and throwing her down the stairs. Weird, huh?

There were rumors here in NE that Robert Krafts wife was so upset about employing people that beat their women that he would be cut, but apparently it didn't happen.