Pat Hinkel

White Power

Mentor
Signed with Miami of ohio as a running back. I can't find a picture, but I bet he is white. Miami of Ohio is one school where whites are allowed to run the football.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, Pat is white. Here he is carrying the ball.

Hinkel.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

White Power

Mentor
Great find Colonel he looks very athletic running the football. I wonder if he is any relation to Ed Hinkel Ex wide receiver for the Iowa Hawkeyes. It seems like to me more athletes are now choosing schools where they know the will be given a chance to play the position they want as opposed to the postion the coach thinks they should play?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I haven't seen any mention of them being kin, but Erie, PA and Cleveland, OH aren't that far apart.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?page =briefingroom&recruitId=60061 [/url]

ESPNs Bill Conley said "Hinkel is a physical football player that is quicker than fast but is a reliable kick and punt returner."

Quicker than fast? What the fruit?

Only in Don King's America!
smiley5.gif

blue_mentos

thats a classic case of giving someone a compliment, but at the same time trying to say 'oh but hes not THAT good'. quicker than fast makes me think of jake sharp, whose first 10 yards as well as his first couple cuts are extremely fast, but his top end speed isn't superman. regardless, he's still fast, and it looks like hinkel is also in that same category. however, it seems like many of these analysts can't say one good thing without subtly throwing in a small stab when it comes to white skill players. congrats on the signing though, and i hope he gets his fair share of carries. miami OH had a white back for about half the season last year if i remember correctly.

SteveB

Mentor
Funny that you never hear a black RB labeled "faster than quick". Darren McFadden had a fast 40 yd time at the combine, but average 10 yd time and short shuttle time.

whiteCB

Master
SteveB said:
Funny that you never hear a black RB labeled "faster than quick". Darren McFadden had a fast 40 yd time at the combine, but average 10 yd time and short shuttle time.

And the double standard is nailed on the head with that great observation!!

Oh and he could maybe be related to Ed Hinkle because Cleveland and Erie, PA (Ed's hometown) are an hour and a half apart. However, I'm sure some article would have brought that up by now, so I'm guessing they aren't related. Edited by: whiteCB

White Power

Mentor
I don't know because it seems like to get recruited and be white you must have someone related to you that has played D1 college ball, and they must of played it well. I mean if Rob Carpenter is not the father of George Carpenter their is no way he is a D1 scholarship running a 4.6. The fact that his father played in the pros and was good is the only reason his son got a chance to play running back at Marshall. By the way last I checked he was still a running back on their roster and he will get some playing time this year. This is just the reality we face an African can come over here and in two years of playing football get a scholarship to play D1, whereas a white kid who has played since the age of 6 gets passed over by this African import. Tragic situations tragic indeed.Edited by: White Power

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to go off topic, but Ed Hinkel was a helluva receiver for Iowa. Had everything you want in a receiver except "blinding speed" and the right skin color. Yet another white WR who should be starting in the NFL.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well Blue Mentos according to Jake Sharp's Scout.com bio he ran a 10.4x in high school in the 100 meter, so that is blazingly fast. I would have said the same thing you said about Sharp too before I read that a couple months ago, but Sharp may actually be faster than quick if that bio is true.

Speaking of quicker than fast: Sam McGuffie ran a 4.32 40 yard, but only runs a 10.86 100 meter. Maybe he just isn't comfortable on a track surface, but my impression is that Sam McGuffie has a near world record burst in the 10 yard dash. Without this off the charts burst McGuffie is probably a 4.45-4.5 guy in the 40 yard. McGuffie's agility, vision and burst are off the charts. I might have to start calling him "the spark".

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Speaking of quicker than fast. Ed Hinkle, certainly fits this description and could have been a great #2 WR in the NFL IMO. How about black RB Brian Westbrook? He runs only a 4.57 40 yard dash and is considered one of the most electrifying players in the NFL. He has great agility, but is certainly more quick than fast at that speed.

Westbrook is only 5'8 to boot. At that height and speed; he wouldn't even have been playing in Division I if he were white let alone a starter in the NFL!

blue_mentos

wow, a 10.4 certainly is very fast. when i first saw him play, i was amazed at his speed, but when i checked his profile it claims he runs a forty in the mid 4.5s. this is the same case with chad hall, however, when they come off the line and make that first cut, its hard to find many players with that explosiveness. the forty times were what made me make that prediction, but i definately take it back if jake runs a 100 in that time.

does anyone know the white rb miami had last year and if hes been returned to his "normal" position or is he going to keep running the ball? or did he graduate?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
blue, if you are talking Miami of Ohio I can't find any white RB who had significant stats running the ball last year.

G

Cory Jones was given a chance to run the ball for Miami of Ohio last year. He was a 4.3 speedster out of Mississippi who was never given a chance to carry the rock until his Senior year last year and he had a couple 100 yard games.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks rob, somehow I overlooked Jones in the stats. He actually led the team in rushing with 483 yards on 107 carries. He didn't even accumulate stats until his Senior season. Sad stuff.

G

NO problem Reb! If any of you need the name of a white wr, cb, s, or rb in Division I football I can name him for you. And watch out for Alex Daniels this year at Northwestern. He is going to be special.

blue_mentos

yea, it was jones. it sucks that he only got one year to carry the ball, but hopefully Miami will have it fresh in their memory that its not all that bad to have a white kid playing rb and will look more fairly upon Hinkel when he comes to campus.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Bad news for all y'all, Pat Hinkel is indeed enrolled at Miami of Ohio, but he's been moved to DB, and since he's white, that means SAFETY, or more accurately Special Teams Demon. Those Ohioans wouldn't know what to do if they saw a WHITE MAN running the football, so it's best to put him in his place in the defensive backfield where he can disappear.