Pansy Game

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff from Steelers safety Troy Polamalu about the lack of hitting allowed in today's game. Fines are being levied on plays guys weren't even penalized on, and penalties like roughing the passer have become ridiculous the way they're called. Jack Lambert said 30 years ago that quarterbacks should have to wear skirts; now just about everyone should other than receivers that go over the middle.

Polamalu says NFL's fines for hits more about money, not player safety

Troy Polamalu is usally soft-spoken off the field, hard-hitting on it. The recent rash of fines leveled at his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates has caused him to take a shot at the NFL, however.

The Steelers safety suggested Wednesday that the NFL is leveling fines for hits more for its own interest than that of the players.

"I think regarding the evolution of football, it's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch," Polamalu said. "We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. I think it's probably all about money. They're not really concerned about safety."

The Steelers have asked the NFL to clarify why Hines Ward, one of the league's best blocking wide receivers, was fined $15,000 the past two games for unnecessary roughness despite not being penalized.

Ward was fined $10,000 following the Steelers' 26-21 win at Jacksonville on Oct. 5, a week after drawing a $5,000 fine for a play in which he stepped over Baltimore cornerback Corey Ivy on Sept. 29. Ward did not draw a penalty on either play.

Also following the Jacksonville game, Steelers linebacker James Harrison was fined $20,000 for criticizing referee Brian Winter for calling a roughing-the-passer penalty against him. Two other Steelers also drew fines for that game, safety Ryan Clark $7,500 for unnecessary roughness -- a late hit -- and wide receiver Nate Washington $7,500 for taunting. Among the four players, the one-game fines totaled $45,000.

"It's starting to cost too much money to come to work for these guys," coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

Tomlin said he planned to call the NFL office about the Ward fines, and team chairman Dan Rooney wrote a letter questioning why Ward was fined.

"We want to be a team and he [Ward] wants to be a player who plays the game the way it's supposed to be played, the way our league wants it to be played," Tomlin said. "We respect that. But we need a little clarity in that situation."

Polamalu said that football's essence is being taken away with the NFL's heavy-handed penalties, saying football "just loses so much of its essence when it becomes like a pansy game."

Polamalu said that past NFL greats wouldn't be able to play the way that made them great in today's game.

"When you see guys like Dick Butkus, the Ronnie Lotts, the Jack Tatums, these guys really went after people," Polamalu told reporters. "Now, they couldn't survive in this type of game. They wouldn't have enough money. They'd be paying fines all the time and they'd be suspended for a year after they do it two games in a row. It's kind of ridiculous."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3646392

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Football has long since ceased to be strictly "a man's game" and has over the last 25 years or so become an affirmative action sport where even women -- if not brought onto the actual playing field -- play a role, so that in a small way it represents the gradual politically correct indoctrination of our country today.

In some ways the modern military -- excluding of course the elite units -- is the same way. Drill instructors can't yell at you anymore the way they used to. Men can't be men because they must now always consider what their women colleagues will think. In short -- women are allowed to be women, and men can't be themselves.

High school football coaches can't say things like, "You guys are playing like a bunch of queers" because you might piss off the gays and their moms.

A father can't teach his son how to box anymore, if his son tells him a bully is bothering him. The father would be called abusive or something.

Boy, what a country.

At least baseball aka Mexico-ball is still sort of fun. Sort of.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I for one hate the relatively new horse collar tackle rule. I just don't see the problem with a guy racing past you and the only thing you can grab is the back of his shoulder pads with your outstretched hands. I know it's dangerous but so is football. It's not the same as grabbing a facemask or spearing someone with your helmet and the rule should be rescinded in my opinion.

Poacher

Mentor
Where do you draw the line between professional, hard-nosed play and thuggery? Given the demographics of the league it's hard to say.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Well, at least it isn't just the white guys getting fined for hard hits.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Well, at least it isn't just the white guys getting fined for hard hits.

Good point Shogun. I remember my line coach saying in the early 90s that he liked football because it was one game where women didn't play. I could tell he was disgusted with the way things had changed already, because he played high school football in the mid to late 1950s.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the fine on Eric Smith still irritates me, though. it was clearly not intentional on Smith's part, and another defender hit the receiver from behind knocking his head down. still, a fine was levied.

however, i agree strongly with the article. i remember the big hit by Brian Russell a while back that knocked out black prima donna chad johnson. it was completely legal, but VICIOUS and many of the affletes and media types were whining about it being "too rough."
smiley5.gif

edited to add: here's the videoEdited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Thats great, I could watch that fool get knocked on his rear over and over all day.
smiley32.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley36.gif

GiovaniMarcon said:
Football has long since ceased to be strictly "a man's game" and has over the last 25 years or so become an affirmative action sport where even women -- if not brought onto the actual playing field -- play a role, so that in a small way it represents the gradual politically correct indoctrination of our country today.

Tell me about it...this is why I don't really bother to watch football anymore, let alone follow it. The true masculinity of the game has been replaced by a faux masculinity supplanted by a generation of young people who grew up in a time when single parent (mother) households were common and the role of men was diminished to that of a whipping boy. My heavy interest in football began to wane around 1997 or so, when the NFL was becoming almost entirely FOX and ESPN-ified.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Read this!
<H2>How much do you love football? So much you'd cut off a pinkie to play it? That's what Trevor Wikre did.</H2>

by Rick Reilly

You say you love your team? You say you're totally committed? Please. I'll show you commitment.

Meet 6-3, 280-pound Trevor Wikre. He's the starting right guard for Division II Mesa State College in Grand Junction, Colo. He loves football like wolves love pork chops. He'd do anything for his team. Two weeks ago, he proved it.

During a practice, Wikre, of Berthoud, Colo., caught his pinkie on a linebacker's jersey during a sweep play. When he looked down, he happened to notice his bone was sticking out of his skin.

"Just tape it up," he told the trainer. "We got practice to finish."

Instead, they sent him to the hospital, where doctors told him they'd need to insert pins and reconstruct the ligaments. It'd need at least four months to heal. He'd be done for the season.

"No way," Trevor said. "This is my senior year. We've got to make this work."

"We can't," the doctor said.

"We can," insisted Trevor. "We can cut it off."

Cut if off?

"To have somebody tell you that you've played your last game of football, I just wasn't going to let that happen," Trevor explains. "I couldn't do that to my teammates. I'd take a bullet for those guys."

Or a bone saw. So he made the doctor lop off his right pinkie. Problem solved!

Two days later, he was ready to play against Colorado School of Mines, only the doctors wouldn't let him. "Some stupid thing like the stitches would rip," he grouses.

And how do his teammates feel about his sacrifice? They hate him for it. Especially the ones who have missed games with injuries this season. "Thanks a lot for making us look like wussies," one said to him. The rest of them just kid. When Trevor does something good now, they hold up their hands and holler, "High four!"

Trevor only has one regret. The doctor didn't give him the finger. "I wanted to make a necklace out of it." It'd also be a great gag at Subway!

Feels odd, though. The finger that isn't there aches and itches. He wakes up at night to hold it against the throbbing, only to remember it's gone. It takes him longer to get dressed now. And it turns out you need your pinkie to hold the remoteâ€â€￾and handfuls of M&amp;M's. But his biggest problem has been typing. "I look down and notice that all my p's are missing."

What's funny about this story is that Trevor doesn't eat light bulbs for breakfast, or ram his head through plywood. He's actually a level-headed guy. "He teaches me patience," says his mother, Kim. "He's the calm one. And it's like he told me, 'Mom, I'm not gonna be a piano player or a surgeon. I'm a football player. I gotta play football.' So I'm perfectly fine with it."

Well, except for the first time she saw his hand in a video on the Internet and had to leave work, sick to her stomach. "I can understand that," Trevor says. "She was happy I was born with 10 fingers and 10 toes and now I'm short one."

But, hey, could be worse. As Trevor's fiancée, Traci, says, "Of all the body parts he could've taken off, that one wasn't so bad. I feel kinda good about it. I know that if he ever needs to sacrifice for our future, he'll do it."

What's off-the-charts unbelievable is Trevor's head coach, Joe Ramunno, did the same thing. He slashed his left pinkie in a high-school shop class 29 years ago and insisted they cut if off rather than miss his senior season. "It didn't occur to me until afterward," Trevor says. "My coach and I had the same thing happen!"

High eight!

So, has it all been worth it?

"When I think about how much I love football, and my team, I just get goose bumps," says Trevor, who, big shock, wants to coach after he graduates. "To be able to play and hit people and not get in trouble for it? Man, it's a blessing. I love my team. And I'm a big believer in actions speaking louder than words."

Every pancake block now seems sweeter, every snot-producing hit more precious. And Ramunno says the team is playing "inspired football since Trevor did this." In fact, Trevor helped Mesa State clobber Colorado State-Pueblo, 26-3 this past Saturday, helping it raise its Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference record to 5-0.

"When you get a second chance at something you're so passionate about?" he says. "Man, your love for what you're doing just skyrockets."

So does the respect his teammates really do feel for him. "Amazing," says Mesa State quarterback Phil Vigil.

Personally, I think they should type him a little note of thanks:

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&amp ; ;id=3642825[/url]

Wikre is #53.

1015reilly.jpg
Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
An oft-told story is that Ronnie Lott had part of a finger removed during an NFLgame rather than come out. I've seen Lott interviewed about it several times. I know he was indeed a very tough player, but I've never seen a shot of his allegedlyamputated finger. Has anyone seen it?

dwid

Hall of Famer
i wonder why Trevor Wikre didnt get to go to a division 1 school

Michigan getting serious about Wikre
-by BigRedReport.com Mar 24, 2004

Best lineman in Colorado?
Trevor Wikre is one of the best lineman in Colorado
-by BigRedReport.com Mar 2, 2004

Berthoud High School: Two sport athlete (football and wrestling)...Honorable Mention All-Conference as a sophomore...Up and Coming Lineman Award as voted by the players sophomore year...First team All-Conference and Honorable Mention All-State as junior...Team Captain senior year...First team All-Conference senior year...All-State First team-Denver Post...All-State second team as voted by the Rocky Mountain News...Awarded Jeff Schiner Award...Played in All-State Game...Three time Athletic Award...Selected Up and Coming Wrestler...Team Captain...Honorable Mention All-Conference...Mr. Escape Award...Regional Champion...Mr. Hustler Award...Four-time Athletic award winner...United States Marine Corps Distinguished Athlete Award...Iron Works Record Holder (Bench: 440 lbs, Power Clean: 337 lbs)

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
An oft-told story is that Ronnie Lott had part of a finger removed during an NFL game rather than come out. I've seen Lott interviewed about it several times. I know he was indeed a very tough player, but I've never seen a shot of his allegedly amputated finger. Has anyone seen it? &lt;!-- Message ''"" --&gt;

I've seen it on TV in an old Lott interview back in the day. IT IS PARTLY AMPUTATED. Lott got it caught between the runningback's and his teammate's helmet while he was going in for the tackle. It got completely smashed between the two helmets. It was a playoff game between the Bears and the 49ers in 1986, I believe. The only way for Lott to play in the Super Bowl was to cut off the part of the pinky that was smashed.

Freedom

Mentor
The game has definitely become a pansy game. They've made consistent rule changes and "points of emphasis" to favor Wide Receivers who can only run straight lines. They also use these rules to justify cornerbacks inability to make clean tackles. Every year the tackling from CBs gets worse and worse and before you know it the only way to bring a receiver down will be to push him out of bounds. Since the players can't tackle, they'll adjust the rules to make them seem good.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Freedom

GWTJ

Mentor
whiteCB said:
Don Wassall said:
An oft-told story is that Ronnie Lott had part of a finger removed during an NFL game rather than come out. I've seen Lott interviewed about it several times. I know he was indeed a very tough player, but I've never seen a shot of his allegedly amputated finger. Has anyone seen it? &lt;!-- Message ''"" --&gt;

I've seen it on TV in an old Lott interview back in the day. IT IS PARTLY AMPUTATED. Lott got it caught between the runningback's and his teammate's helmet while he was going in for the tackle. It got completely smashed between the two helmets. It was a playoff game between the Bears and the 49ers in 1986, I believe. The only way for Lott to play in the Super Bowl was to cut off the part of the pinky that was smashed.

WhiteCB is pretty close. Lott actually got injured during the regular season and was told that if he had surgery and let it heal he was going to miss 8 to 10 weeks. The story goes that he then asked how long he would be out if he just cut it off and the trainer told him 4 weeks. So he cut it off.

I told my friend about it and he has seen it. He lived in Florida when there used to be a celebrity volleyball game. The game was nationally televised every year on ABC or CBS. He met Lott, who played in the game, afterwards and told me it was the tip of the pinkie on his left hand.