Ozzie's "homosexual" remark

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Guillen's words miss mark
August 10, 2005

NEW YORK -- It has been well documented that Ozzie Guillen is incapable of letting a thought go unspoken. He probably filibusters in his sleep.

This is what the White Sox manager said Monday:

"Hey, everybody, this guy's a homosexual! He's a child molester!"

OK, deep breath. Where to begin?

Well, I was there in the Sox dugout before Monday night's game against the Yankees, along with about 30 other media members, when Guillen loudly greeted a longtime friend with those words. So I guess that makes me a silent co-conspirator to some pretty ugly language.

We're going to have a discussion of words now, of what they mean and of what happens when people from different cultures bring their own ways and attitudes to another country. There is no doubt Guillen, a Venezuelan, needs to watch what he says, but there's also no doubt he believes there were some mitigating circumstances.

When he delivered those words, he said he was being playful with a friend of 20 years, a friend who took no offense.

The pregame press gathering with Guillen had just ended, and he thought he was done being quoted.

And yet, those are not words we use lightly in this country, no matter what the circumstances are. It will be up to you to decide whether words always reflect a man's heart.

There have been at least two columns written about Guillen's tendency to make insensitive remarks, including a Newsday column recounting Monday's incident. Neither of them carried any explanation or context from Guillen, which matters. A man has a right to explain himself.

"I come from a country where we don't believe in treating people differently," he said Wednesday morning, before the Sox-Yankees series finale. "When you're a person, you're a person. It doesn't matter what color or religion or race or sexuality you are. We're just human beings.

"Obviously in this country it's a little bit different than our culture. I grew up in a country that was completely opposite from here. Now you have to learn the process."

It's obvious Guillen hasn't fully learned it yet. He has been in the United States for 25 years.

In a vacuum, the insinuation in his words is that being gay is bad and, worse, that it logically follows that homosexuals are child molesters. I know people who are gay and I can't imagine their seeing anything playful in that. But Guillen says he meant nothing hateful by what he said and that was my immediate impression. But I did roll my eyes. What if someone in the group were gay?

"I have no problem with [homosexuals]," Guillen said Wednesday. "I don't deal with that. To me, everybody's the same. We're human beings created by God. Everybody has their own opinion and their own right to do what they want to do. You have the right to feel the way you want to feel. Nobody can take that away from you."

Sox officials have talked with Guillen about being smarter about his choice of words. They believe there's no malicious intent in what he says, but they also believe the manager of the White Sox is the face and voice of the organization.

"When you're a manager and you're in another city, obviously you have to be careful," Guillen agreed.

He needs to be careful in his own city too.

He sometimes makes you squirm. Other times you shrug at Ozzie being Ozzie. During spring training, I heard him tell a Japanese man that he was a such-and-such "sumo wrestler." The man laughed. Does someone have to be offended for words to be offensive?

If an Italian came to this country and used ugly words about blacks, would it be explained away so easily? But Guillen says he comes at it from a Venezuelan perspective.

"My wife's nickname in Venezuela is Negra (Spanish for "black") because she's the darkest in the family," he said. "But here in the United States, the past is real strong [with slavery]. We don't have the past in Venezuela that you have in the States. I understand. But in my country, we treat people like human beings. It's something you have to learn in this country."

Guillen acknowledged he "said the wrong thing at the wrong time," but it's more than that. There's no right time for what he said. The clubhouse and the locker room might be the last place where men can be men, but Guillen has to live in the bigger world. He's the manager. He's not Don Rickles.

"I don't worry about losing my job," he said. "I just worry about respecting people. I worry about respecting the integrity of people. I represent a city and a team. I have to be careful what I say and when I say it. But I don't say anything to offend anybody."

In Ozzie's world, life is to be lived fully, people are to be embraced and jokes are to be made. Problem is, not everyone gets them.

rmorrissey@tribune.com
[url]http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whit esox/cs-050810morrissey,1,2619501.column?coll=cs-whitesox-ut ility&ctrack=1&cset=true[/url]

----------

Wow, I know if he was a white guy Ozzie would be hung, but this writer is horrible. What happened to saying what you want in this country without someone being offended?

It's kinda cool that they went after a non-white guy for a change. However, Ozzie thought that the Caribbean remark was just so horrible, and look he does the same exact thing.

smiley36.gif

KG2422

Mentor
Screw being "sensitive" all of the time. The feminization of this country is out of hand. The truth is 1/3 of sexually abused children are male. Most child molesters don't molest both sexes. So if only 2 or 3% of the population is homosexual and 33% of child molesters are homosexual, then homosexuals are disproportionately represented among child molesters.
smiley11.gif
We should all be able to say whatever we want ,about whoever we want, without fear of losing our job. If I were fired for "insensitive" remarks I would sue. Our freedom of speech has been trampled upon. "Hate cimes" have made certain thoughts criminal ,not only speech. This is all unconstitutional. We all know who's not allowed to think or say certain things. If it has to be made illegal to stop people from thinking, expressing, or feeling it, it must be natural and true.

This is another perfect example as to why the control of the media is
de facto control of the people, and why it is central to the control of
the nation. Just as with the Alou/Kreuger situation, the media
can create "outrage" out of thin air, simply by blowing an innocuous
spark into a conflagration by repeating, Repeating, REPEATING a story
ad nauseum, in order to further their agenda. Notice that
Guillen's friend wasn't offended by the ribbing. The writer
simply assumes that some gays might be offended; I'm certain that this
story will be followed up with countless quotes and reactions from
organizations with names like "Chicago Area Friends of Gays, Lesbians,
Transgendered Persons, Pedophiles, Sodomites, Bestialitites (?), and
Girls-Who-Do-Other-Girls-When-They're-Drunk."

Notice this garbage: "Guillen acknowledged he "said the wrong thing at
the wrong time," but
it's more than that. There's no right time for what he said. The
clubhouse and the locker room might be the last place where men can be
men, but Guillen has to live in the bigger world. He's the manager.
He's not Don Rickles." Didja get that? A no-talent
Jewish comic can say the same thing with impunity (and get an adoring
tribute in the local rag) but a guy can't joke around with his buddy if
the joking implicates homosexuality.

Face it people, we're not free in this country, and we never will be
until we wrest control of the media from the hands of our enemies.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It'sbeyond pathetic when private conversations among friends are overheard and turned into PC morality plays like this. Saying thingssimilar towhat Guillen saidis commonplace joking among men. Guillen's only "mistake" is in being naive about how the "free press" works in the U.S.

The militant homosexuals are embeddedin the power structure, especially in the media and government, including the (insert laugh track) "conservative" Bush administration.

Good points, KG and SK. This country is saturated with internal enemies who believe in censorship and totalitarianism.

Bronk

Mentor
Bear-Arms said:
in my country, we treat people like human beings. It's something you have to learn in this country."

Pardon me for taking a sliver out of this article, but, I don't think we need to learn any damn thing from effing Venezuela.

Sorry, that hacked me off.

The intrusion of a private conversation reminds me of Bob
Knight's "racist" incident a few years back, when someone in a
restaurant overheard Knight talking at his table, saying
something to the effect that black players had to be careful with
their money, because a lot of "friends" in the 'hood would try to
take advantage of them. This clown confronted Knight, and it
became a story. Funny, who do you think has more experience
dealing with young black men by a factor of a few 1000, Knight,
or this do-gooder college town liberal?